how i got rid of plasma buzzing (DIY)

mikimausis

i got help from this forum to solve my problem, so i decided to post this in case it may help someone else.

i sarted by caching this annoying buzz. here is a spectrum analyzer data from TVs back.
7110696982_b.jpg

7110707147_b.jpg

you can see the bad boy at 10kHz and at 12kHz. (there were some noise at 5kHz also)
the one that changes pitch from scene to scene is highest one in freqency.

as pointed out in other thread by user pwood, this buzz is reflected from back wall, and gets straight in the my ears when i stand infront of TV. naturaly this high audio frequencies reflects fully from flat wall. so my option is to put sound absorbing material inbetween TVs back and wall to elliminate reflection. kHz frequencies can be nicely absobed by thick sheet of cloth, so here is my temporary tuneup
7110585199_b.jpg

7110599562_b.jpg

there is a 10cm space between TVs back and cloth for Tvs cooling. and there is about the same space from cloth to wall just in case something gets thru cloth, then it reflects from wall and is absorbed by cloth for other side.

let me remind, that before this tuning, i was able to hear buzz from 4m (13feet) with my PC on(lot of fans that makes noise) and TV sound on.
now i cant hear any buzzing from 1m distance with all other noises turned off and set TV contrast and brightness at max. :thumbsup:

sorry for my english :D

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Neat!

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
excellent, what TV do you have as my pioneer buzz drives me nuts?

what was your readings after installing the sail behind the TV:rolleyes: or did you just use your ears

wish Pioneer would come out with a solution:mad:

Chelsea_Fan

Maybe this is why my Pio 5090 doesn't buzz audibly. I have a very thick drape behind it against the wall. It probably does the same thing, i.e. breaks up the echo. Also, the TV is at an angle towards the corner of the room. So no flat wall behind it.

I did just try moving the drape away and rotated the TV and it does buzz, and it's worse when the screen goes blank when channel hopping.

Last edited:

Boris360

Brilliant :smashin:

My Plasma will be put in front of a Roman blind AND a set of thick blackout curtains in my gaming room. I've inadvertently created the ultimate Buzz buster :rotfl:

mikimausis

excellent, what TV do you have as my pioneer buzz drives me nuts?

what was your readings after installing the sail behind the TV:rolleyes: or did you just use your ears

wish Pioneer would come out with a solution:mad:

i have panasonic tx-p50x10e.

i used spectrumanalyser just to cach buzz frequency, so i know how to fight it.
buzz-terminator effectiveness i set at "exellent" by ear :D

Last edited:

Monkey

Standard Member
Interesting solution miki!! Ive noticed most large screen plasmas have pretty unacceptable buzz in my opinion, but i guess it depends on the sensitivity of your hearing.

I thought i was the only one attempting DIY solutions to quieten plasma buzzing though.. i think my hearing is pretty sensitive because ive been annoyed by a buzz from my LG32pg6000.. a pretty quiet TV by most standards, & not one ive noticed anyone complaining about regarding buzzing.

Anyway, i had some self adhesive high density foam (about 5mm thick)so i stuck it to the back right side of the set, behind the on/off button over an area of about 30 x 40cm, but making sure vents were kept clear.

Well, it worked brilliantly, so much so i think i'll take the back off & put the sheet inside to make it a hidden job as theres plenty of room.
Like i say, this TV is pretty silent compared with very large screens, but once i noticed even this low level buzzing, i let it annoy me.:( Happy now though:)

LazyGit

Standard Member
Great idea.

You might find that it works better if you hang that cloth about 3 cms from the wall.

v=f*(lambda) so the wave length of 10-12kHz waves is around 3cm. If the cloth is only 3cms from the wall then there is only enough space for one whole wavelength between cloth and wall so a standing wave is set up deadening the reflected sound.

Obviously that doesn't do anything for the sound coming directly toward you. I think Monkey's solution above is better for that because it's directly dampening the vibrations in the casing.

My solution? I just smack the screen old skool style until it stops. Works like a charm.

mikimausis

at first i hoped the buzz is made by some power supply block, which naturaly is located somwere where i can elliminate sound in relatively small area. sadly i realized buzzz comes out from all the venting holes. and there is venting holes spread all over the TVs back. that left me with option to cover all the TV area.

i still dont get it, why manufactor cant glure some sound absorbent on the back cover inside the TV. it would cost like 5$ per 1000$ set to them.

Chelsea_Fan

Great idea.

You might find that it works better if you hang that cloth about 3 cms from the wall.

v=f*(lambda) so the wave length of 10-12kHz waves is around 3cm. If the cloth is only 3cms from the wall then there is only enough space for one whole wavelength between cloth and wall so a standing wave is set up deadening the reflected sound.

Obviously that doesn't do anything for the sound coming directly toward you. I think Monkey's solution above is better for that because it's directly dampening the vibrations in the casing.

My solution? I just smack the screen old skool style until it stops. Works like a charm.

Last edited:

rewerb

The latest updated model fron Panasonic now includes, as well as the cleaning cloth sample, a piece of curtain material to hang behind the TV. The Z1 range has an option of different colours/patterns. :D

mikimausis

The latest updated model fron Panasonic now includes, as well as the cleaning cloth sample, a piece of curtain material to hang behind the TV. The Z1 range has an option of different colours/patterns. :D

maybe the cleaning cloth sample was ment to be hang by the tv for noise resons, since it doesnt do a good job in cleaning LOL

Monkey

Standard Member
at first i hoped the buzz is made by some power supply block, which naturaly is located somwere where i can elliminate sound in relatively small area. sadly i realized buzzz comes out from all the venting holes. and there is venting holes spread all over the TVs back. that left me with option to cover all the TV area.

i still dont get it, why manufactor cant glure some sound absorbent on the back cover inside the TV. it would cost like 5$ per 1000$ set to them.

Youre right miki, i too cant understand why the engineers developing these tv's can sit in front of them and NOT notice the buzzing:confused: As you say, if for technical reasons, its not possible to reduce the buzz at source then an acoustic pad built into the rear of the set would help greatly.

My £300 Bosch dishwasher has the stuff every where to make it a more pleasing product to live with.. so why not a TV costing a lot more:confused::(

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom