1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Hot Is Your Processor ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GearHead, Jul 12, 2002.

1. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm quite used to seeing figures in the low to mid forties for CPU temperatures but since fitting a Verax ultra quiet CPU cooler it's crept up to around 52 degC. I've got a piece of software called "hardware doctor" which displays this kind of stuff and is set to alarm only if the CPU temp goes above 72 degrees.

Looking on the intel website the recommended maximum operating temperature for a 1.3Ghz celeron is 75 degrees so I guess all is well and plenty margin to spare. It's maybe just me, I'm not used to seeing these kind of temperatures normally.

Is this the kind of range (50 - 70 degrees) that's normal for a HTPC config ?

Allan

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Like you, I am used to seeing 40s for Intel processors. The AMDs run hotter but I think I would be very nervous if I saw temperatures in the 60s let alone 70s. Even if the component is rated up to 70 or so, more heat equals shorter life.

I assume you used some sort of 'goop' between the new heat sink and the processor?

Otherwise, I can't really suggest anything other than a Zalman. I'm using one of these on a P4 Northwood and it's running low 40s at the slowest speed.

3. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dub,

The Verax comes with a very thin heat-transfer film applied to the contacting surface but I thought I would help it along a little with a thin layer of heat-transfer compound. Strictly speaking I should have removed the film (it would need scraping off) but I was too impatient.

I would have gone for the Zalman as 1st choice but my CPU is directly below the power supply and definitely not sufficient clearance to get the zalman fan in there. Its nice to hear though that you are achieving low 40's with such a quiet cpu cooler, I guess thats down mainly to the massive surface area of the flower.

I suppose if running the CPU at 50 degs drops the life expectancy down a little I don't mind as it'll be in the bin anyway in 18 months time.

Allan

4. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Allan,

I can appreciate the problem! It only just fits in my Coolermaster. You're quite right, at 50C I can't see it being much of a problem and with processors just getting cheaper and quicker all the time.....

If you are feeling conscientous I guess you could try scraping off the old thermal strip but I doubt it would make a huge difference.

If you are using flat ribbon cables to connect the drives try to make sure they are either funnelling air from the intake to the exhaust or at any rate aren't impeding the flow.

One final thought, check the direction of airflow from the PSU fan(s). They changed the spec on ATX psu's from suck (intake) to blow (extract). I found one of my older psu s sucking, swapped the fan(s) round and dropped the cpu temp by 5 degrees.

What's your motherboard temp?

If this is all too obvious for words, my apologies.

Rob

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would seriously recommend scraping off the old film off the HS. I would be surprised if this did not reduce your temperature significantly. When applying the thermal compound a fairly thin even layer is adequate. Applying too much will actually result in higher temperatures as it will act as an insulator.

6. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My XP1800 with a flower cooler and all case fans removed runs in the high 40s, usualy 48-49.

Motherboard temps are 40-41. AMD says max. operating temp of 95 (!) in their tech sheet and I have been told not to worry untill well into the 50s.

Looking forward to see what the temps will be like in the DIGN case.....

YMMV
    BJ

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    AMD 1600XP with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+, with a very cheap thermal compound running at 44 degrees at present.

8. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is your problem.
    The compound/paste is there to fill tiny cracks in the metal of the heatsink and provide a good conductive surface. The first time you turn it on the thermal material will heat and melt, thus filling holes. If you have to much your basically stopping the heat escaping from the CPU.

I'd recommend you remove it and wipe it off (make sure you don't dent the Heatsink, as this will cause further problems) and apply a thin layer of paste.

Hope this helps
    Will

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My M/board is at 56 & CPU at 95.

Are these too high?:confused:

Sorry, forgot to say, C, Celcius.

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    My XP1800 is now running at 50 degC with a cheap coolermaster heatsink and fan with no thermal compound, I am just sticking to the film on the heatsink for now, board is running at 43 C.

11. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise that the film melted and so effectively becomes heat transfer compound. I guess that makes sense and now I've got twice as much as I need. Well, I've not got much planned for this afternoon so I might pull it all apart again, clean up and start again.

I always get very nervous though when clipping the heatsink back on in-situ. Will check cable routing while I'm in there.

Allan

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    You can get shims to prevent cracking the processor when clipping the heatsink back on.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473