1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hot does your receiver get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daneel, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I just put my home cinema setup together this weekend and I'm a little worried about home hot my Marantz SR7300 receiver is getting.

It is open at the front an back with about 4 inches above it before the next shelf on my stand.

The unit itself gets hot, enough to make the bottom of the shelf above it feel warm.

As a comparison, my Toshiba 520E DVD player gets quite warm but the receiver is about 40% hotter again I would estimate.

I'm driving 5 B&W 600 series speakers from it and a sub, not pushing the volume or anything.

Is this normal or should I be worried?

Thanks

Daneel

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi daneel
    it is normal for receivers to get warm when driven .The harder you drive the hotter it will get .I read elsewhere that somebodys sony amp got so hot when driven hard he could hardly touch it.you seem to have plenty of space round your receiver so i should'nt worry.
    ps where did you get your amp from .Hoping mine will be despatched after xmas.
    gonzo

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Got mine from Home Cinema Heaven for £530.

http://www.homecinemaheaven.com/

They had a black one in stock and I am impatient so I ordered it. They are an authorised dealer, not sure if unbeatable is, and that's the only place I saw it cheaper.

It is working well for me although I think perhaps I went over the top for my needs, all those inputs on the back and i'm only using a few.

BTW the Marantz Europe site says it's 6 x 110W but it's 6 x 105W. Also it's not as big as the measurements suggest, it's about 425mm deep with the front nobs and rear inputs extending it to about 480mm

I just checked the temp again after watching a movie, it really does get very hot, I can touch no problem but I think it must be about 70C. All this heating up and cooling down can't be good for it.

Daneel

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Come on guys! Run your receiver for a couple of hours, run your hand over the top of it and post how hot it feels!

I find there are 2 patches in particular that get hotest.

5. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony STR-VA555ES is only just warm to the touch after a couple of hours of use when not really driven hard (around -65db).

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    well i have had my denon a1se running pretty much all day today and its not so hot that you can't put your hand over, but its notably hotter towards the centre at the front of the amp. the sehlf above (approx 3-4")does get warm but it doesn't worry me. saying that, i did cook my first 1se by puttin my dvd player on top and denon kindly replaced it for me and adviced that i didn't stack any equipment on top of it.:eek:

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    My sony 1080 is on all day driven at different levels i check every now and then and it never gets to the point where its too hot its usually at the point where its just warm no good telling you ,you really need to compair with the same amp.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    hi Daneel
    Maolen has a marantz 7300 . why dont you email him and ask him how hot is receiver runs you can get his email adress from the members page.
    gonzo

9. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a Denon AVR3300 before i bought the AVC A11SR, and the 3300 got really hot and it even had a fan. I would say it got so hot i could'nt keep touching it for more than a few seconds. That is normal and it worked fine the time i had it.
    My A11SR does'nt get near as hot, only slightly hotter than my hand.
    This is using the same speakers on both amps, B&W 6XX s2.

10. maolen

maolen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Daneel,

When I first bought my receiver I stacked my VCR and DVD player
    on top of it and the receiver really went hot. I mean really hot
    that I can't hold it for a couple of seconds. After about 4 days
    the receiver gave-in by not producing any sound on the main
    speakers. I reset the unit and everything worked well though. After this experience, I decided to removed my VCR and DVD
    player on top of the receiver. Now the receiver does not get hot
    anymore. It feels warm after hours of running but only up to that
    point.

11. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is a bit off-thread, but can anyone think of a good reason why I could not use by Denon AVR1602 on its side, still leaving the 'old top' side with lots of space to 'breath'.

I want to do this for two reaons. First, it solves a short interconnect problem. Second it looks neater.

ditton

PS The prompt to do this was clearing space for the Xmas tree!!

PPS Merry Christmas everyone. Having just watched Chicken Run, I'm escaping before having yet more nosh. :D

12. Lucky Scotsman

Lucky Scotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha RXV630RDS and I have had it on now for over 4 hours at -55dB. It is very slightly hotter than it is when not on. But, I did notice last week that it got VERY hot. This was after about 40 minutes at -5dB :) I could only touch it for about 2 seconds before it started to hurt my hand.

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Ditton15, there's no reason for your amp not to function on it's side BUT the components within were designed for horizontal use. I've an 1802 which I wouldn't use vertical due to it's larger heatsink but your 1602 is decidedly smaller so may well be OK.

It'll be built solidly but I can only leave it up to your judgment as to whether you feel the heatsink in particular is attached securely enough.

Not a definitive answer I'm afraid, but lets you know what factors you should consider.

14. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    They weren´t designed to placed on their sides. Heat rises, flipping it on its side means you would stop the heat escaping efficiently. I wouldn´t advise it.

15. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. The tree will have to go. Bah, humbug ...

ditton

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,518
    both sony and rotel amps have been driven all xmas week. never turned off, and they're quite warm, but its nothing to worry about.

17. UltraHD

UltraHD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Onkyo TX-NR3009 and its getting very hot, so that I have problems with all my equipment in that cabinet.

I also have problems with the HDMI board.

This Topic is very interesting for me too and I really like to hear about the folowing receivers too.

I'm looking for a new receiver that will sound in the smae leake as this Onkyo.
    I also need 4K with HDR, so the choice is narrow.
    Pioneer SC-LX90 doen't sound completely natural, but I've heared it doen't get as warm as many others do.
    Yamaha is also a bit warm sounding, so it comes up to the Denon AVR-X7200WA that cost a bit more as a Onkyo NR3030 that wont be my receiver, because the lack of 4K HDR and will probably be to hot also, and there is the Marantz SR7010.
    The receiver is light weight compared to my Onkyo, and I'm afraid I will hear this and miss the power.

18. Violator

Violator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Best I've seen on here, a 14 year necro :)

19. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,217
    This thread is older than my grandson.

Some receivers get hot because of the environment they are kept in. They simply don't have the room to breathe. My Denon 6200 runs very cool, as did my old 2310 even though it is kept in a cabinet. To the sides it has 100mm clearance, above to the shelf on which the player sits is another 180mm clearance. A sliding door which is left open during operation also aids excellent cooling.

20. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    Most modern Av Receivers don't run hot at all.

I have the Anthem MRX-1120 and it runs mildly warm and sounds as good as a mid to high end Hi Fi Pre/Power Combo. Simply Lovely. :cool:

21. KRW

KRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    My Onkyo 805 finally died last night. Lovely amp, I'll really miss it, but the HDMI board, I think, has melted. It got ridiculously hot; it was actually possible to burn yourself on it and I actually made an additional fan, from a PC fan, to sit at the back of the rack to push the air out. I've just ordered a Pioneer LX89 to replace it. Hopefully I can retire the fan.

22. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Both my processor and power amp run pretty hot. If left on for a couple of hours, my living room becomes noticeably hotter than the rest of the house.

I wouldn't say they get too hot to touch, but they are certainly hot. Probably similar as the outside of a electric kettle, its warm enough to tell you that the water has boiled but not burn your hand.

You have to remember that a power amp is using a lot of power and they are not very efficient about it, so if you think that if its a 100w power amp for each channels, your talking 700w of power being used, a lot of that being turned into heat.

23. MIKEVO

MIKEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +479
    I would suggest the 805 was faulty, maybe the power supply regulator had failed and was supplying too much voltage to the HDMI board.

The Pioneer should be fine, being class D.
    It would be worth measuring the temperature in your cabinet though.

An ambient air temperature in the Cabinet above 30 deg C will start to shorten the life of components considerably.

24. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Onkyo has a long history of HDMI board issues, so it might not have been the heat that killed it.

25. KRW

KRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    The 805 in particular was known to have an HDMI fault, I'm just amazed it lasted as long as it did :D It's an open cabinet with lots of air around it, so I'm not too worried about the new one.

26. Violator

Violator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    My PA barely gets warm. My 510 on the other hand gets toasty at the rear if the hdmi board is in use.

27. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Compared to my previous 8 Year old Denon my current 3 year old Denon gets too toasty for my liking. So, seeing as my media PC is on at the same time I rigged a molex lead out from the rear of said PC & connected it to a 140mm Noctuca PC case fan. Power to said fan is modded to 7 Volts so it spins quietly but exhausts most of the heat out of my Receiver. I had an old Sony years ago that died twice due to overheating so I'm not taking any chances this time round.

28. UltraHD

UltraHD
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looking at High End receivers and will probably go for the Sony STR-Za5000ES or a Denon AVR-X7200WA, but not sure yet.
    I'll guess the Denon willl be less hot in my cabinet.

29. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    One of the things you have to keep in mind, is that the power ratings of the amps are going down every year pretty much. They are using stupid test power ratings like one channel driven at 1khz with 10% distortion to make the numbers look the same. I assume to keep down the costs as they use more of the budget on the new logo's on the front panel.

The lower the potential power, the harder you have to drive the amp for a given volume, and I assume that equates to more heat being given off.