1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how hot can a pc run or how can i silence it ??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by newstuart, Apr 18, 2005.

1. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi all
    I have a ADVENT MC3020 media center pc which recently i have kept in a seperate room to where i viewed the image it poduceed. i have had move it into the viewing room and initally put it in my hi fi cabinet which is open backed. Everything else in there runs cool but the pc felt very hot to the touch so i have taken it out.
    The problem i now have is the noise it produces from fans and the hardrive. I have just taken it apart for a good clean up inside and blew the fans out but its still noisy. can anybody answer the following ??

1) how hot can a pc safely get as ideally id like to keep it out of site ?
    2) If it has to stay in the open can i adjust the fan speed without adding any hardware (its a small pc with little room as it is)
    3)is there any software to let me know its getting to hot ?
    4) what does everyone else do ? surely it must be a common problem

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont mind my PC running hot to be onest,

I have Fanless PSU and only 2 fans which run very slowly, PC makes no noise but does run a little warm

Hard drive is the area you need to keep an eye on i find mine runs 53c idle and gets to about 58c when i watch a movie, which is fine by me its under the manufactures limits and causes no problems, my CPU runs at about 45c (but thats when i use AMD Cool n Quiet) which puts the CPU to 1Ghz, at full speed it gets to over 60c idle

System temp is about 40 - 45c when watching a movie.

As far as i am concerned as long as it is within manufacturers limits and does not crash i dont care how hot it gets :)

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    thanks for your input, How do you tell what temp its running at ?
    where you say the fans run very slowly, does this mean you control the speed ? if so how ?

4. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aim for 40deg system temp (sub 50 is fine), but 40 is a good target.
    The Latest P4's are rated to 72.8 degrees - aim for sub 50, although 60 is ok IMHO - the thing with P4's is that they throttle when they start getting too hot, so you might be loosing performance. A good heatsink (Thermalright 120). AMDs run cooler - again aim for 40-50
    No, you can add something like a Zalman fanmate - these are about £3-5 each and are used to adjust the voltage to the fan - these are fitted internally, but I see no reason why you couldn't drill a hole in a blank PCI backplate and fit it so you can adjust externally (you can buy case fans that already come with such a PCI backplate that has the adjuster - silverstone do one for example;)

motherboard monitor 5 as mentioned above. Most motherboards come with software to do this also; you *might* find some on the CDs that came with your PC, but MBM5 is very good (it also tells you fan speed)
    We install quiet case fans (Panaflo), and a decent heatsink (thermalright XP-120 or XP90) fitted with a 92mm panaflo fan - a good thermal paste also helps (Artic silver is the best allrounder). All fans are controlled by fanmates or in-line resistors.

For the harddrives, if you can isolate the drive from the chassis then noise will be dramatically reduced. You can get rubber mounts that do this - these need a spare 5 1/4" drive bay though - if you only have 3 1/2" bays a thin strip of foam between the drive and the bay works well also.

one thing I would advise once you've quietened you PC down is to check it works reliably under load. To do this run MBM5, but also run a burn-in test (you can find one at www.passmark.com) for about 20-30 minutes ensuring that the CPU useage is (or close to) 100% (use task manager). Keep an eye on the temps - and if it reboots, you've gone too far...

6. RexConnix

RexConnix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My motherboard only has one chassis fan connection but i want to run two as things are getting a bit hot. Does anyone know if there's any kind of splitter i can buy?

8. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perfect, thank you

10. sted

sted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, another question. i'm tempted by a number of cpu fans on quietpc.com - i understand that they will make less noise, but do they actually cool down the cpu more than the standard intel heatsink?

11. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They'll be more efficient and 'remove' more heat from the CPU itself - this means you can use a slower fan speed to get a similar effect.
    I've experimented with quite a few heatsinks to get the noise to acceptable levels.
    The best I've found so far are ThermalRight's range - specifically the SP94, SP97, XP90 and XP120 - these have teh advantage of being able to choose your own fan (make and size 80,92,120mm). The Zalman 7000 series are also highly regarded, but I'm a bit dissapointed with these (too noisy to *relibably* cool P4 3.2) Teh scythe and Silentmax also give good results.

Thermalright fans here : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html
    For fans have a look at http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

Before buying any of these cpu coolers be sure to check the dimension and that they'll fit your motherboard/case. I've not had any problems, but I know of others that have