How high should I mount my new TV?

skinnyq

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an installation set up for today for my new 65" Q90T.
However, I am unsure of how high I should have the TV mounted on the wall.

I have an IKEA Fjallbo TV stand that is 54 cm (21") tall.
My viewing height from the couch is around 105 cm (41.5").

There seem to be two conflicting rules of thumb as to how high to mount the TV.
One says your eyes should be level with the center of the screen, meaning a very low mounting height of 63 cm (25").
The other says your eyes should be level with the bottom third of the screen, meaning a mounting height of 77 cm (30").

The first option doesn't leave me room for adding a center speaker on top of the TV stand if I want to later on while the second one might be too high, for example when you're sitting closer and playing video games.

Any advice?

The bottom of my 55" OLED is 70cm from the floor which puts my eye level midway between the two levels you mentioned and I have no issues viewing from around 9ft away, or when gaming a few feet closer on a different chair. Your TV is larger though, so the equivalent position to mine would be lower - around 63cm sounds about right, but sofa heights obviously vary too.

I would say that any position between 1/3 and 1/2 should be fine provided you have a sensible viewing distance. If you game fairly close-up, then maybe aim for the lower position of the two (so eye level as close to 1/2 the way up the screen as you can) but leaving a suitable gap for a centre speaker would be sensible if you think you're likely to get one in the future.

If you're going for a fixed or tilting bracket and you're careful with both the position you attach the bracket struts to the back of the TV and the height at which you mount the bracket on the wall, then you might be able to leave some room for adjustment later - by altering which strut holes you use. Only by a few inches though I suspect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom