1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how high do you go

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dalbaht, Feb 6, 2003.

1. dalbaht

dalbaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How high off the floor does everybody have their plasma’s?

I am planning to have a 37inch screen about 5foot up from the floor (over the mantle piece) viewing from a sofa about 8feet away

Will this be comfortable to view?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think the bottom of my screen is around 45" off the floor with a 10 degree down angle on the screen. Gives good viewing at 9ft between me and the panel. Only a few mm between the bottom of the screen and the top of my fire surround mind.

Took a long to time to find a nice looking fire surround to go over my Victorian Fire place that could be modified to look good with this height but got there in the end.

I had my old man work it out and he helped me fit it. He is well into the mechanics must say it worked out very well.

Have a look at the members screen shots post. Should give you a good feel for what people are doing with them.

3. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dalbaht

Exactly the same as mine - about 8 inches above the fire place mantlepeice - I would have gone lower, but I had to position the mount so that at least 3 of the bolts went into brick (instead of concrete, it's an exposed brick fireplace).

TBH I though it was a bit high, but you soon get used to it, and it's fine now.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    dalbaht

You may want to consider a wall mount that has a tilt facility - they are slightly more expensive than a flat mount but could save you a bit of neck strain (and earache!).

Best regards

Joe

PS And of course you will be wary of how hot the base of the plasma may get when your fire is on!!!

5. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point - mine is on a tilting wall mount. Not so sure how it would look dead flat.

6. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dalbaht,

I had to mount my Panny D4 about 50 inches from the carpet, as I wanted be fit a fireplace below it.

I am viewing it from about 10 feet, I did at first think it was a little too high, but now after living with it for 3 months, I think it is at the correct height for my room.

It seems to STOP neck strain, as you tend to sit up more straight than I did before with my Sony TV and you can rest your neck on the back of the settee as you should, to support it.

I was going to get a tilting mount, but I glad I didn't as I think it would not look right angled from the wall.
    I do think it looks so cool mounted flush to the wall.

Another thing I found that is very important is to get the room lighting correct, this stops any nasty reflections appearing on the plasma screen, and helps set the mood of the room (girlfriend loves it).

It’s a very simple lighting layout, of basically no lighting behind the viewer (ie. Not reflected in the plasma) and two shaded lamps (25w bulbs) each side of the plasma screen in each of the corners of the room.

A very Happy Panny owner.

Have Fun,
    Bluebear.
    :zonked:

7. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As I said in my previous post I have a 10 degree tilt on my screen. At 45 odd inchs off the floor It sits just above my fire surround although it was a lot of work to find a nice fireplace surround that could be cut to fit right and still look good.

At 9ft viewing this is a good height to have the screen I believe. Without the tilf on the screen we would have strained necks after a while I think. With a good bracket I think the tilt does not spoil the athetics too much. You can see my pictures on the setup post and it looks very good in my opinion (Mine is the one with the cute Keshond puppy in the foreground)

I could have had it a bit higher may be with a bigger gap between the top of the fireplace and the bottom of the screen.

With optimum viewing in mind I decided to get the think as low as possible and I am VERY glad that I did having had it up for about a month. Even lying on my setee it is reasonably comfotable height for viewing.

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    bluebear

One of the advantages in using the tilt facility on a tilt wall mount is you can adjust the display to minimise any unwanted reflections.

One thing that I have noticed on quiet a few of the 'Gallery' posts is Panasonic owners (especially the Silver version) who have wall mounted displays have kept the carry handles in place - these can simply be unscrewed form the rear of the display and to me it makes for a neater finish.

Best regards

Joe

PS Bluebear have you tried a light source actually in behind your display? - gives a nice hallow affect and some claim an improvement in contrast perception!

9. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Good point about the tilt facility minimising unwanted reflections, as you correctly say will help remove rear reflections and stop the plasma acting like a mirror.
    I have kept my carry handles on my Panny D4, so it easy to remove it from the wall (I hope I never will need to do it again!).
    I agree with you about possibly removing them if you have a tilt facility on your mount.

I must say that "fitting a light source actually in behind your display" is an interesting idea,
    if do this right (Green or Red lights), it will look very cool. I was hoping that the victoria style (gas) fire on low setting would give the same effect.
    Not sure about the best way to wire-up these extra lamps, you could possibly cut into the mains cable and run a hidden switch under the plasma for the lamps.

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :smashin: