How hi-end can i build? DIY Subs

nikodem44

Hello friends,

Music gives me life. I consume a lot of it. I have a simple setup that i am moderately satisfied with. This is build not for a home theatre but simply listen to music.

I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM6 S2 ( I know, not ideal, will be working on this next). I love the clean, rich, punchy sound they produce but do lack some depth in the bass. This is why i have chosen to DIY build two subs to match my needs.

Im looking to build two reasonably high-end subs, with a budget of about 1200$. Something that helps me in the low frequencies but even more so gives me a rapid, punchy and tight bass. Ive been reading a lot and it seems to only make me feel dumber than I was before.

I just cant wrap my head around what drivers to get. Size wise i want to keep it small. So im landing on 12". I was thinking a sealed sub, but understood its a lot harder. I have no idea what SPL or sensitivity to go for. What is reasonable? Like i stated, i want it tight and punchy with more depth than i have today.

I understood it is easier to use external amps. Not sure what to look for here.
For the cabinet. My friend is a master cabinet maker and will help with this as long as i provide instructions.
I want to build the most high end pair of subs for my need, Im all up for buying used gear too.

Here is what i know:
  • I want two subs
  • I want the sound to be tight and punchy and as deep as it can go but keeping it tight.
  • I want them as small as possible
  • Primarily used in a room of about 2000 cubic feet.
  • Budget 1200$

Here is where i have been looking for drivers: German site, Polish site, another german site.

I really appreciate all the help and I hope I’m in the right place.

THANK YOU!!

/Nikodem from Sweden.

Kapkirk

I would have a look the Volt B2549's, excellent for subwoofers. For a ported design you'll need approximately 40 litre enclosure, this will give the deepest bass. if you want a faster response with a bit less output then you'll need to look at a sealed enclosure type box, use the specs of the woofer driver and free software to calculate box dimensions etc. Building your own is good fun but can get a little complicated and if you don't choose the correct size enclosure it will not sound right. Building GOOD speakers and subs is a bit of a black art which is why most people just buy ready made.
A good way to power them cheaply and efficiently if you go the passive route is with something like a Crown XLS drivecore amp which has built in filters.

For that kind of money though you could just buy 2 ready built and very good XXLS400's from BK with a 2 year warranty and still have some change.

Last edited:

simonb3665

Hi Nikodem,
What else is in the chain if it's a music system?
For quality bass, eq makes such a massive difference in pretty much any room. Also, the ability to set the crossover and possibly delays are important to have a seamless super speaker. For AV users a lot of this functionality is in the receiver but not so for HIFI systems.
What sort of music do you listen to and at what sort of spl?

Fabri66

Novice Member
I recommend two ported subwoofer with Bms18s450 in 110>130 liters net.tuned to 25hz.
With one central or lateral flor slot port high 6cm. wide 25cm. long 50cm.Air speed at 1500W 20meter/second, 5 cm. of medium polyfil on each wall except the one with the driver.Very damped subwoofer come out that sound like those in a closed box with the advantage of ported.Musical dry and narrow bass hitting the chest and hair!!!💪💪👍👍😅😅

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom