1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How HD-DVD and Blu-ray could be merged

Discussion in 'TVs' started by laser, Apr 21, 2005.

1. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  2. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope this will not happen. i don't want a perfect format such as blu-ray to become degraded by hd-dvd tech!

3. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another article over at ign http://dvd.ign.com/articles/606/606542p1.html

However i did read over at dvdfile that some are thinking that this could delay the realese of hi def dvd's by as much as two years. And over at ign i they are thinking that it may not delay it by any more than a few months. As the tech is already there on both count just needs to merged. Whom do you think is right? I am hoping for no more than a few months delay.

4. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what i read

Sony has proposed using Blu-ray's disc structure and HD DVD software technology

While Toshiba has suggested using the HD DVD disc structure, which is closer to that of current DVDs, and employing Sony's multi-layer data-recording technology

I dotn care either way but 1 format would be fantastic for the consumer so they better agree on something

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    agreed. I dont have the patience for 2 formats. I dont care who wins as they are both still hi def. I preffer BR because of the extra capacity and better over all specs. But the realist in me knows that specs have never mattered and that most people care about cost. Since HD DVD is cheaper to produce I can see that as being the more popular format.
    If they can add together the strong points of both formats to make one, Then ill be happy.

6. kenji-san

kenji-san

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the 2 were to merge, i hope sony's proposal of using Blu-ray's disc structure and HD DVD software technology will win.
    even though the other method of spleising is cheaper in production, it's not as future safe with regards to storage..

..go sony! :smoke:

7. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what if they could use the HD disk structure which is cheaper and easier to produce but implement the multi layer technology Sony use to increase disk space to that of blu ray

Surely then we have the best of both worlds?

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +659
    Seems to me the most important thing is to make it recordable from day 1. The lack of recording ability is (IMO) the main reason why it took DVD several years to really get going. If you'd been able to play and record at DVD quality from the start then VHS would have dissappeared almost overnight.

9. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Isn't BD supposed to be recordable from Day 1 anyway? I thought that was intention...

10. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    But with the the new content protection systems, it may mean you have little worthwhile to record on it anyway! :)

As a spokesman for a well known consumer electronics company said recently

"We aren't in the business of producing high tec consumer recording equipment, only to then allow Disney to switch it off when they feel like it"

or words to that effect! :)

And now we have something of a standoff.
    The content producers (especially movie studios), don't want hidef copies of their works doing the rounds (for obvious reasons), while the CE companies know the public won't go for a recording device which allows someone else to decide when and what you can record on it (again for obvious reasons).

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes and No.

The first generation BluRay devices that have been on-sale in Japan for a while are sold specifically TO record Japanese HDTV broadcasts. They operate in a similar manner to D-VHS VCRs - in that they record the broadcast MPEG2 HDTV video directly to disc. This means they either need to contain integrated HDTV tuners (I think in Japan these are from their Broadcast Satellite system?, and in the US some D-VHS machines have integrated ATSC HDTV receivers) or a Firewire MPEG2 input (not to be confused with Firewire DV as used by camcorders)

These devices are MPEG2 only - and don't need to contain HDTV MPEG2 ENCODERS (as the encoding is carried out by the broadcaster). They are thus relatively cheap to implement - relatively...

However these devices aren't MPEG4 compatible - they don't replay MPEG4 video, and they don't record it, and they are not compliant with the BluRay HDTV standards that we are expecting to launch later this year/early next.

To record an HDTV signal in the UK - you'd either need a BluRay recorder with an integrated Sky HD receiver, which would record the MPEG4 video data directly to disk (and thus not need an MPEG4 encoder) - in the same way Sky + works, or you'd need an HDTV MPEG4 encoder that could be fed with either HDMI/DVI+HDCP (but would have to comply with HDCP copy prevention/protection?) or analogue component HDTV (if Sky support this)

I'm not sure I see Sky launching an integrated BluRay DVD recorder into their Sky + boxes anytime soon... (Be nice if they did - but...)

MPEG4 HDTV real-time video encoding is still not at a consumer level in chipset terms AIUI - after all MPEG4 HDTV DECODING (which is less computationally intenstive) is only just in first generation silicon AIUI.

It is thus pretty unrealistic - ignoring all the connectivity and rights issues - to expect a BluRay HDTV recorder with internal HDTV MPEG4 encoding to be available at launch.

Now if we were running a FTA / OTA HD system (like the US) - then a BluRay HD recorder wouldn't need MPEG4 encoding on-board (it could just record the broadcast data) - so that would be a possibility. (In the same way as the existing Japanese BluRay devices record HDTV MPEG2 without requiring HD MPEG2 encoding circuitry on-board)

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    If both BR and HDDVD dissaper in favour of a whole new format, I can see those who splashed out on these BR recorders being quite miffed.
    If you think about it, Blu Ray lasted even less than D-VHS!

13. thegeby

thegeby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    That is the mission in life of early adopters. This group of all knows that. :devil: (Hiding behind his 1983 21 "JVC multisystem)

14. sdk

sdk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i read over at dvdfile that someone had read an artikkle where toshiba said that even if there is a merger they will still launch hd dvd as planned.