How have u hidden yours (screen that is...)

jagdeepp

Banned
As the thread suggests, i'm keen to find out how everyone has hidden their screens.

I've gone through the process of building a pelmet which i had to remove to allow for a bigger screen.. woops!

Wonder whether people would like to share pics of their hidden talents.. errr. screens to be precise.
There are volumes of pelmets out there, some plasterboarded and others boxed up in mdf. Pics would be appreciated to inspire my newer pelmet since my last turned out probably a little bulkier than expected.

Lets see how far this goes.. i'll get us started. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Now i'll accept my pic isnt of the completed work but hey it came down days after this pic was taken!

Attachments

• Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,326

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Good thread!

I'm on the lookout for inspiration on hiding my screen in the ceiling void. Some good stuff I've already seen in here and in the gallery, but what else is out there?

anyone done a little trapdoor to completely cover the hole in the ceiling?

dazza32

Here' my effort. Used 1" x 1" frame and 6mm mdf to cover. It's an electric screen with the switch mounted to the left hand side of the fireplace.

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00897.jpg

jagdeepp

Banned
Now that is VERY VERY impressive. very clean cut.. wow.. :thumbsup:
Can i ask whether your screen was mounted directly to the ceiling since your pelmet doesn't drop down too low at all. In fact it drops neatly parralel to your coving. The edges are also very defined... beautiful.

Fantastic.

mark rosser

here's mine - i ran the pelmet the full width of the wall which i feel deisguises it a bit :)confused: ) and also gave me space for lights:thumbsup:
DSC_0004-copya.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

:D

Hitby

gah! mark. I have basically just turned a rather fetching shade of green :(. imo, your room is astonishingly beautiful, I think I'd quite probably kill to have a room of that size to play with

Well Done

Dan!

dazza32

Now that is VERY VERY impressive. very clean cut.. wow.. :thumbsup:
Can i ask whether your screen was mounted directly to the ceiling since your pelmet doesn't drop down too low at all. In fact it drops neatly parralel to your coving. The edges are also very defined... beautiful.

Fantastic.

Thanks mate. The screen is fixed to a baton which in turn is fixed to the false chimney breast. Thought i had some pictures of the screen before i boxed it in but can't seem to find them

jagdeepp

Banned
:eek: Mark, your work is fantastic! Beautiful room.. bright walls though, didnt you wish for something darker to improve contrast of projector? Looks awesome though, never seen your work on here before. :thumbsup:

FiReDuCk

Standard Member
Hi there,

Nice setup - all of you guyz! :thumbsup:

hey mark rosser, what kind of projector/palsma TV are you using?

mrmcdean

Novice Member
Slightly off track but not much so apologies ...

Has anyone hidden an LCD / Plasma screen behind a picture ?? Ive seen it a couple of times on house programmes but not sure how to do it.

With regards to hiding a PJ screen. I looked into setting one into the ceiling void but decided that when I can get round to it id go for the pelmet approach, probably full length as Mark has done above. Should anything go wrong it would be much easier to get to etc.

mark rosser

thanks guys...:thumbsup:

Fireduck, PJ is a marantz vp12s3, plasma is a pio 506xde

jagdeep, yes walls are a bit bright, will be redecorating soon and maybe go for some darker colours, but it is the lounge so there is always some compromise (gf doesn't like watching the pj at all, and moans when the lights are turned off!):eek:

johndon

Slightly off track but not much so apologies ...

Has anyone hidden an LCD / Plasma screen behind a picture ?? Ive seen it a couple of times on house programmes but not sure how to do it.

I'm in the process of doing this. I'm mounting an LCD in the wall so it's flush with the front and the picture will hang in front. It's not going to be motorised so It'll just be taken off the wall when I need to use the TV.

In the top corners of the opening for the TV are a couple of metal strips that come out slightly proud of the wall and the picture will simply hang on them.

John

FiReDuCk

Standard Member
thanks guys...:thumbsup:

Fireduck, PJ is a marantz vp12s3, plasma is a pio 506xde

jagdeep, yes walls are a bit bright, will be redecorating soon and maybe go for some darker colours, but it is the lounge so there is always some compromise (gf doesn't like watching the pj at all, and moans when the lights are turned off!):eek:

marantz vp12s3 = MSRP $12,999.00 :eek: That's bit of shocking figure!!

jagdeepp

Banned
I'm confused as to whether to square my pelmet off from the front a la Dazza whose pelmet is sharp and defined or whether to allow a little drop from the front a la Mark. I guess if there is a little excess hanging over the front you cant see the letterbox slit or top end of led/spotlights?

Any views on this? Will post my completed pelmet here once done. :smashin:

secretagent2

room.jpg

This is my room, and i don know where and how to mount my projector screen, i was thinking above the TV but when i pull the screen down it will hit the TV, unless i pull it over then i will have a lump in the screen.

I dont think the ceiling is strong enough to hold the screen..

any ideas?

jagdeepp

Banned
oi. dont hog my thread :devil:
Kidding.
You've got to measure how far out from the wall your screen sticks out then aim to have your screen that far off the wall so that it drops ideally a couple of inches in front.
You cant b having your screen against the wall and a plasma/lcd on the wall unless your lcd is on a low shelf.
My screen drops 9" from the wall.
Screens are not heavy given that the weight is spread over a wide area. Make sure you screw directly to the joist. Dont even try relying on plasterboard as that will just crack and eventually tear down.
Test = to drill some very small pilot holes in the ceiling to find out whether theres a joist in place else put in a noggin.

Guys any more pelmets? Can some1 answer my q 2 posts above?

dazza32

secretagent2

i should of mentioned it is a solid stone wall, i think the screen only has mounting on the back for putting on wall not on top for hanging.

stevos

Distinguished Member
Kind of tempted in doing a full wall setup, this should help hide it a bit plus allow better conselment of the wires. Being a DIY hater i know nothing about this and want something simple that doesn't cost too much money.

How would i design the most basic system and roughly how much would that setup cost.

blicky_1

no one said this hobby was cheap....:rolleyes:

You are not wrong Mark!

Since seeing your PJ/screen/cabinet set up late last year on here I have spent in excess of 2k trying to copy it!! :rotfl: not quite as good kit as yours though!

Nearly finished now and very pleased with it so will post pics up at the weekend :smashin:

Many thanks Mark for the inspiration!!!!

secretagent2

i think everyone aims to have one like yours, i know i do, and i am no where near!

I am waiting until i move house an then try again!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published