1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is it to fix a panasonic PW6 plasma wall bracket?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by brad123, Nov 22, 2004.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Mums just got a panasonic plasma and a wall bracket. Now my mums fiance is ok with DIY, has all the tools and stuff and usually does all his own stuff but he thought the plasma wall bracket might be too hard, or what he means is he doesnt want to risk it falling off its an hard job.

My friend who does DIY was going to do it but its finding the time and im sick of messing around between both sorting it.

Is it that hard of a job if your experienced with drills, spirit levels and what not.

Thanks

Mark

2. Urban_Moniker

Urban_Moniker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what the wall type is and what bracket you bought.

I recently mounted one of the slimeline tilting jobbies from av-sales and it went fine - after one self inflicted hitch.

My job timeline was:-

1. Buy 8 * 10mm 4" sleevebolts
    2. Ask old man (PHD in mechanical engineering) if these were good enough to hold a 35 kilo plasma.
    3. Waited for him to finish laughing and explain you could hang an elephant on each one
    4. Worked out where to mount the plasma
    5. Drilled first hole (top left) using a 10mm drill, then expanded to 12mm
    6. Bashed in first sleeve bolt, hung frame, levelled using a spirit level then drilled top right hole with 10mm drill - drilling thru the existing frame hole, removed frame and widened to 12mm.
    7. Bashed 2nd sleevebolt into wall, hung frame again, drilled remaining 6 holes using 10mm then 12mm drill bits.
    8. Placed remaining 6 bolts into wall, big problem........

My blockwork only 4" deep, therefore bolts projecting into cavity, therefore even slightest mismatch with frame holes i.e. non-square drill hole meant that frame 'pushed' bolts back into cavity when trying to line them all up.

Thinking time.......

Reamed the remaining frame holes out to ~12mm, all bolts fitted lovely with this little bit of clearance (actually one didn't for some reason therefore I can only hang 7 elephants off my plasma frame!). Job done.

As 'luck' would have it (drilling into any hard substance can deflect a drill) my frame was just about perfectly level but the nice thing about this frame is that you can wrap tape (electrical insulation tape wil prob add less than 1/10 degree per 'wrap') round the 'hanging' bar (i.e. increase the circumference where the plasma is 'low') and correct any slight tilt.

Long story short, if I did it again, I would probably use 2*10mm*3" bolts for the top two fixings, using 8mm for the remainder.

Also, re-iterating what someone else told me on this forum - measure your level from the hanging bar of the frame NOT the top of the frame (TOP TIP) - I had a mini-spirit level that fitted in perfectly.

And finally, to answer your real question. I had to buy all the tools for this job, I did it all myself so therefore I reckon anyone with a bit of common sense can do it..

Cheers

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    It's generally trivial stuff really. - but it does very much depend on what your wall is made of.

If it's plasterboard, you will need to reinforce it in some way. If it's blockwork or brick, just use the appropriate fixings. (Available from B&Q et. al.)

There is some good advice on which fixings to use on the RAWL website:-

Rawl Website

Fixing Selector

Steve

4. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    On a normal 4" block or brick wall, 3" screw bolts, with fischer wall plugs is more than adequate. The main load on a plasma is vertical, in other words it is not going to be pulled away from the wall, therefore the use of sleeve bolts could well be a bit over the top, making the alignment of the holes more dificult than it could be. As the contributor's dad said, one sleeve bolt would hold the entire screen, and are mainly used for fixing stud walling to a brick wall etc..