1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hard is a yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ewin, Nov 16, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a new amp on friday. the model is a yamaha htr-5630 and compaired with my old pioneer 510 his thing blows it out of the water.
    I just what to how high people have their volume at as my at -40 with dts and -35 with dd i could go higher but i`m worried about the stress the amp might have driving the speakers loud .
    does anyone have any info.
    many thanks

2. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I usually watch my movies at -10, but have been known to push it up to reference level 0 on some movies (not LOTR:FOTR though:eek: ). I believe from reading other threads before that Yamaha amps are very well protected and robust when it comes to problems, what speaker's are you driving??

So you are totally fine going louder, i presume you've calibrated all your channel levels with SPL Meter??

3. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers that i have are eltax millinium 100`s for the fronts and a pair of eltax ht-2 bipolars rears.I have to say that the yamaha is finding them easier to drive than the pioneer i had last.
    i also think it`s down to yamaha saying (rms output) rather than saying that the amp is 65 watts(din).
    No i was wanting to know what other people push their amp`s up to and no i have not used a spl meter yet and untill i get one i be useing my ears .
    P.S does anyone know what spl meter ,(What hifi )say they can get a at maplins for £5 .can`t find any ,but one at £45 ,a bit much for me.it reads that it a basic kit one.

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    the yamaha's excel with volume, i believe. my rx-v630 loves being cranked up. music is always in the -20 region when i can get way with it, movies also. They are cracking amps for the money and have bags of power in reserve.

5. zoolander

zoolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although i spend alot more moeny on my stereo hifi system i do have a Decent budget AV rig which i am very happy with for the occasional film.I use a pretty old Yamaha rvx496 rds AV reciever and even with its lowly 5x 65 watts it can reach room shaking volumes with little or know distortion in sound.I will be in the market for a new mid priced AV amp soon though as im considering taking the plunge into multichannel DVD-A and SACD.Might look to yamaha again but there are nicer looking amps out there.Any1 compared £500-£700 AV amps before and will be able to help me find the best alrounder?I am not interested in stereo playback as i have a seperate system,just outright movie and multichannel music enjoyment!

zoolander:D

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    I have the RX-V 730rds. DVD's at -30db is normally as loud as I need to before it becomes uncomfortable. For me that is, not the amp! And at that volumne, downstairs the glasses in the cupboards are tinging against eachother!! TRUE!!!
    For tv the normal listening level is about 40db -45db. The sound goes through a Nokia Mediamaster so I guess that amplifies it a wee bit so the amp doesn't need be so high. Again radio is a little quieter still.

8. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DSP A2 Usually -20 to -28. Any louder and it would change my molecular structure...especially with a REL storm in the room.

Allthough somtimes I like to turn into a beast :)

Cheers,

Chipster

9. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Obviously I'm a big girl because with my RXV800RDS I hardly ever need to go above -45... :blush:

Its still loud enough to rattle things around!

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    I have to agree with you ref the Yammy's. However, nobody has taken into effect the speaker sensitivity being used here. Remember, if poster a's speakers are 3db more sensitive than poster b's, and they both own the same amp, poster a's amp will go twicw as loud...IYSWIM.

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I may be wrong:confused: , but surely if everyone had calibrated their levels with a SPL Meter then -10 in one room with one set of speakers would the same(approx.) as a different setup in another room with different speakers. The differences in speaker's would mean different speaker volume values in the main levels setup, but after this is done all should be similar???

Or am i wrong, just they way i thought it would work!! I'm surprised how low some of these volume's are, if i'm watching a movies on my own i crank it, think amp goes up to +12:eek:. Did have it up to +2 once as my brother was seeing if we could get passed 100db on the meter, then all of a sudden a loud section, WOAH!! 110+db, turned it down after this but did bring a smile to my face as no distortion or anything occured.:D

Giz.

12. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're listening at -20db with speakers that are 90db sensitivity, and I'm listening with exactly the same amp at -20db, but my speakers are 87bd sensitivity, then you're set up is going to be louder than mine - full stop. Now, stop me if I'm wrong, but I don't think yamaha's have a positive reading - ie, the volume stops at 0db? Unlike THX certified amps where 0db is actually THX ref level (75db). 0 db on an amp that has no posotive volume level isn't reference level, it's maximum volume.
    When I owned a Yammy (not so long ago), I calibrated the levels by standing on the listening spot with the SPL and raising the master voulme until the front left speaker read 75db. I then took this as reference level and calibrated the remaining speakers to the same volume as the front left. It may be at a different voume, depending on what speakers you are using...

13. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The way Yamaha amp's setup is totally different to mine then, i have a setup screen which is displayed on my TV. In this you can change each channels(F, R, C, LR etc...) volume levels independently and set them all to 75db.

And this would mean that on my amp 0 is reference level, and i can go pass this to 12(from -80 i believe). This would explain why some of people's comments with yamaha amp's seem low to me, the way your is setup mine would probably be -22.

But because of the way my amp's setup, i think this would make the 90db and 87db speakers the same volume, as the 87db speaker's would have a higher intial setting than the 90db after calibration had taken place.

14. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My yam RXV800, never down below -35 dB, with kef Q55.2 speakers (89 dB).

15. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would find that the individual speaker setting on set up would be lower. ie, to get the centre channel, say, to 75db, the volume of this channel is -1db below reference level. If your speakers were more sensitive, the volume of this individual channel would sya, be -4db below reference level. In turn, this would spread to all channels, thus requiring less watts (powre) for more volume. It's hard to explain for someone like me who reads The Sun, but I hope I appear to know what I'm talking about...:rolleyes:

16. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Regardless of a speaker's sensitivity, once you've calibrated they'll be just as loud as the next speaker @ reference. A speaker that's harder to drive will just take more power to get there...

17. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Slightly confused now, i read The Sun and The Star:eek:

I think i'm getting what your saying with the how speaker sensitivity side of things work, but do you not agree that after the channels are calibrated on an amp of my variety, that -10 on the main volume would produce the same volume as -10 on another with different speakers??

If you already tried to answer this with one of your other replies, sorry, i sometime's read The Sport as well :blush: ;)

Giz.

18. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me started on The Sport mate!!

No, they wouldn't produce the same volume. If they were of a lower sensitivity, they would, as smurfin has pointed out, be harder to drive. So would, in reality require more power to reach the same loudness, which would require a tweak on the upness from you on your amp...which would push the volume up to maybe -7db.

Someone saying there amp produces ample sound at - 30 db means absolutly nothing. Envioroment, speakers used, amp used, distance from seating position and even speaker cable would have an effect on what voulme your amp would need to run at to produce sufficient sound for your tastes. Foe example, up until yesterday, I had a Pioneer 811. This was a fantastic amp but the volume button on the remote used to eject the DVD...so today I got myself a Sony 790. Both hooked up to the same speakers (Mission 77 series all round) but the Sony produces ample volume at -40, whereas the Pioneer had to be run at -30 sometimes.

19. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    I think were going around in circle's here!!

But i'll have one more stab, surely as you calibrate your speaker levels in the eviroment, with the speaker cable, and amp etc. . . you've already compenstated for this in your initial individual speaker levels, so say i've got:-

Speaker Levels
    Front Left - 2db
    Center 0
    Front Right - 2db
    Rears + 1db

all these equal 75db on the SPL meter, and the amp is set.

Now another amp

Speaker Levels
    Front Left + 5db
    Center + 3db
    Front Right + 5db
    Rears + 2db

all these are set to 75db as well, now the main volume should produce the same level of sound on both amps. 0 being reference level which i believe peaks at 105db on your speakers and the LFE channel at 115db.

So the volume increase you speak off has already been done in these settings, but the main volume will read the same, agreed or just agree to disagree??:(

Giz.:D

20. graham r j

graham r j

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All this talk of 0db, -20db is making my head spin.
    I've set my system using a digital SPL meter to 75db (C weighted with slow response),so surely anyone who sets their system up this way will get the same THX reference levels at 0db (or flat out volume depending on there amp) regardless of impedance of the speaker's used??.
    I normally listen to TV,SKY,VHS at -30db, but when watching DVD it's around -15 (apart from MATRIX RELOADED which makes my bottom wobble, and things fall off shelves due to some serious low bass).

BTW: try this for an experiment, I did and nearly wet meself:-
    Play the Shrek karoke scene at the end of the movie at full tilt
    (+18db on my 2802) and see if the picture on the screen goes all funny!! Dont know if it was interference or my head vibrating,but it was wild all the same (SPL meter went up to 140db the cut out)
    WICKED

TTFN :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: