how hard can it be to buy new sub

stegalv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
yep how hard can it be?
i have diy sub,but i think it's on it's last legs so thought build a new one.
no problem building the box.but a bit sketchy on the technical side.
no i will buy one it's easier,course it is.
2 or 3 weeks later.i have been buying the bk monolith+ everybody is praising it, then the xts 1.12 looks good,i'll go for that.what about the 12.17 good price and not much difference in specs,svs sb2000 goes low fills a medium room but the pb 2000 is louder lower.
then i see the arendels,but no reviews yet should i wait?also earthquake ff12 looks good price but how good?
some have high pass filters others have'nt,some have ab amps some have digital.some have eq some don't,ported or sealed,ported better for films,but some say buy sealed in small to medium rooms.
all similar prices,then a big jump to the next models,so should i go second hand or ex demo or open box to get more for my money,should i spend more,but will i notice the difference,
used or ex demo i have seen a few from other manufacturers i:e rel..velodyne..monitor audio..mk but every time i look for reviews they all say overpriced or they all recommend bk.svs.xtz etc.
are there any of the big name subs any good.
so as you can see i am a really decisive person who can make decisions in an instant. course i can.
before anyone says demo some,i live where there is none of the above subs within 200 miles.
so still sat here no nearer to deciding which to go for.then again i could build one.

Lol, don't think your alone. We've never had much choice which on one hand is good on the other it makes picking one a very difficult decision.......

What's your budget, room size and how many subs can you accommodate?

room is 18x10x3 ft, looking for one sub at present and budget is around the svs pb2000 xtz 1.12 area,could go a bit more if i thought it was too good to miss.saw a used monitor audio gwx15 for around £850 used to be around £1800,if that had been a good deal i would have had a go at that,but read it was'nt as good as monolith.

If it's just one and you don't mind used an svs Pb/pc Ultra series is hard to beat.

If new, I would pick the xtz 1x12 cinema sub over the Monolith or svs equivalent. Can add more as when you're ready.

As for the MA, I'm not sure price is indicative of performance there.

BTW a 3ft ceiling? :D

I'm not so tall.
Sorry thinking in metres and ft on the width.8ft ceiling.
the ma was an example of why I was asking if there are any decent main manufactured sub's.
Thanks for the suggestions.
What about the xtz12/17,jag at epic recommended it,unless he has no 1.12s in.
Are power sounds worth the money.
I would consider the arendal but it will be weeks before any feedback on them

Xtz cinema range is higher up the food chain, if Jag can't get it for you (I'm sure he can if you ask) order direct.

Wrt PSA, with all the options available I'm not too sure, the UK pricing seem way out of touch with those over the pond. I'm hesitant to totally dismiss them however since I know Tom V (Co founder of SVS) and chief architect behind PSA, is a legend.

Thanks for the pointers.decisions to be made.

Well good luck with your quest. When it comes to audio one size won't fit all which is why it's a great time to be on the market with so much choice here in the UK. At the same time I appreciate it can also be confusing. The Arendal is a welcome addition centred around it would seem, sound quality rather than ultimate spl and extension within their respective price range. Let's hope they sound as good as the blurb, expectations are high.

here is another bargain!just seen tannoy definition £1500 supposedly down from £3500,now surely that must be better than a £600 sub,but i bet it's not

hi mission.you were asking about 2 subs,just to cover all bases would lets say 2 10" smaller sealed subs be better than 1 xtz 1/12,
another query(sorry for all the questions) some of the ported subs have high pass filters,others don't? so how do they control the speaker from going too low and bottoming out(if thats what they are for).
when i was thinking of building one all of the building plans i looked at no one seemed to mention the importance of having hpf?

I find the same thing re: subs.

Trouble is most of the personality types on here are that of a 'maximiser' type. We think if something is better, better is better is better and we can't enjoy the 'old' or 'inferior' product.
So we endlessly second guess and research to the nth degree when we should trust instinct.

Can apply to other aspect of life too, that's what I find anyway...:D

I'm on my third or fourth guess,my brain is doing cartwheels.

I'm on my third or fourth guess,my brain is doing cartwheels.

Hi!

My countrys biggest hifi magazine made the test for subs priced in at what you are looking. There was SVS PB2000, XTZ 1x12 and 5others (Canton, Sunfire, JBL, Velodyne, Crystal Acoustics).. Here is what they found:

SVS won the test. Mostly they tested these subs with music. They were using blind test method, so they didn`t know which sub was playing. SVS PB2000 was most dynamic and was the best also in the music listening test. XTZ 1x12 came second at overall, and they said it is suited more for movies as the name implys, one minus were; they didn`t blend so good with main speakers in music test. There is so many measurements, but i put these up for movie fanatics:

Max. Sound pressure:

SVS PB2000 - 20hz= 103db, 25hz=107db, 31,5hz=108db

XTZ 1x12 - 20hz=95db, 25hz=101db, 31,5hz=106db

At 40-63hz they were about the same. So the bigger SVS has the upperhand in low notes. Also they said PB2000 gave the most physical feelings from the bunch (hitting the chest feeling?), and wen`t the lowest, recommended for medium sized rooms.

So if it`s purely for movies and you have the room, then the PB2000/PC2000 should be the best choice. It really is one big monster. The PC model would be easier to fit, though it looks "funny".

SVS PB2000 Subwoofer - Subwoofers - Hi Fi Speakers - Speakers
SVS PC2000 Subwoofer - Subwoofers - Hi Fi Speakers - Speakers

Thanks that's really helpful and figures interesting
Thats another change of mind.
I'm leaning towards Ipp dish dash.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom