How good would DC universe be if Nolan/Phillips directed it all?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
What're people's thoughts on how Nolan/Phillips would direct the entire DC Universe?

I wonder what his direction would have been for Superman.

Any thoughts? I can't help but feel it would be pretty god damn incredible and make Marvel look like a collection of Children's films.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
What're people's thoughts on how Nolan/Phillips would direct the entire DC Universe?

Any thoughts? I can't help but feel it would be pretty god damn incredible and make Marvel look like a collection of Children's films.
Well he was involved with the Snyder stuff so maybe we already have an idea

scrowe

Distinguished Member

I don’t see it as viable. The conceit of Nolan‘s Batman is how would this play out in real life, and given the low fantasy, no powers, high-tech grounded universe of Batman it can work. The similar approach to MoS I liked, but it was divisive. But how would you do the rest? Take the super out of superheroes in favour of realism and it’s not really the same characters is it? The first couple of series of Arrow worked as well for the same reason as Batman.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I don’t see it as viable. The conceit of Nolan‘s Batman is how would this play out in real life, and given the low fantasy, no powers, high-tech grounded universe of Batman it can work. The similar approach to MoS I liked, but it was divisive. But how would you do the rest? Take the super out of superheroes in favour of realism and it’s not really the same characters is it? The first couple of series of Arrow worked as well for the same reason as Batman.
He didn't 'no power' Batman.Batman has never had super powers.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
He didn't 'no power' Batman.Batman has never had super powers.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Of course I know Batman has no powers. I was talking about where Batman sits alongside the wider DC Universe your post was about.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Of course I know Batman has no powers. I was talking about where Batman sits alongside the wider DC Universe your post was about.

I get your point but really disagree. I think Nolan and Snyder's approach to their respective films was very different.

And its pretty evidenced by the quality of them. I'd never expect to see Nolan pump out something like Batman versus Superman for example.

MOS was a tiny bit gritty but for the most part, I don't think it did much to what Begins or TDK did. It was still very muchso comic-book tropey with the big bad aliens invading earth etc.

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I think Nolan and Snyder's approach to their respective films was very different.
Man of Steel and the basic tone and plot was Nolan’s pitch, and the Story developed by him and Goyer, which is why he is a producer on the movie. Snyder was largely a Director-for-hire initially.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom