How good should Sky+ picture quality be (signal strength)

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Marekuk, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Marekuk

Marekuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have recently got a sky+ system installed with which i am happy with but sometimes the picture is not very good.

On checking system settings the signal strength is about 2/3 full and the signal quality is half full and sometimes worse.

Is there any way of improving this by myself ?

cheers

Marek

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Define "not very good".

Are we taling picture break up, audio spikes, compression artifacts, interference?

3. Marekuk

Marekuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am talking about when the picture gets blocky i am not to sure about the terminology for this and a lot of the edges seem rough. When the quality gets better it loses the blockiness and rough edges

was wondering if moving the dish slightly could improve this

Mark

4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Sounds like you may need to get your dish alignment checked first,just to be sure.Has the dish got a clear line of sight? i.e Are there any trees or other obstructions in front of it.A dish that has been poorly sited,can have it's signal blocked by the simplest of things that are easily overlooked at the time of install.For example,it is not unknown for a dish to be installed in the winter,with a tree in the way,and for it to obtain a perfectly good signal.Then,come the summer,when the leaves are in their full glory,bang goes the signal,and the resulting picture loss.

If you are unsure,I would get a reputable aerial company,to check the dish alignment.He will also be able to check the general installation of the dish,to see if there are any problems that will cause your signal to drop away.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Compression artifacts.

These are probably more of a symptom of an individual channels low bitrates, they save money by not renting enough capacity from the satellite owners:(
    Not a lot you can do if this is the case unless you are seeing it across the board and on channels that were previously ok.

The signal could be boosted (dish alignment, LNB skew, cables) but it's no guarantee the picture will be better since a digital image is either there or it is not.
    However the system uses error correction to maintain the quality if it starts to become borderline, it may be the error correction is maxing out and improving signal strength/quality will noticeably help.

You can certainly attempt to adjust the dish but it is very easy to lose the lock on the satellite, if you do then you can always call SKY and not mention you'd touched the dish:)
    Worth checking the quality of the cable connections, they should be secure and sealed with waterproof tape.

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Starburst's right, it's highly unlikely that tweaking the dish will make any difference. The levels you have are usually fine. It's worth a try but you could lose the lot and invalidate your warranty!

Bet you can't get them back to check it free of charge!

More likely to be the 'quality'(!) of the channels broadcast.

A. Dork

7. Marekuk

Marekuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the replies i have nothing in the way of the dish , i guess itsjust the quality of sky around here, but the neighbours signal is a lot bettermaybe he hasbetter dish/lnb

marek

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There is little difference in the "quality of sky" across the whole country (well apart from some signal drop off in the north and that's what a Zone2 dish is for). You will very rarely get two systems that display the exact signal levels as eachother, there are far too many variables involved.

Worth noting that a TV that has a lot of digital processing and 100hz scanning does not always improve digital sourced pictures, again a bitrate issue at heart.
    Your neighbour may just have a TV that is more complimentary to some of the channels that are broadcast on Dsat.

Why not borrow his digibox and hook it up to your sdish and view the results on your telly? That could confirm if it's a reception issue, digibox issue or even how the TV displays the results.

9. Marekuk

Marekuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice starburst, unfortunately we have the same tv :) , the hitachi 42pd5200 and the same sky+ box :) . The dish is slightly different but that is it

cheers

Marek