How good is your Sky Digital signal?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by RMCF, Mar 5, 2001.

  1. RMCF

    RMCF
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2000
    Messages:
    7,004
    Products Owned:
    1
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    136
    Ratings:
    +632
    Mine is at 100% when the Pace digibox is plugged in, but drops slightly when I connect a Panasonic digibox. Strange?

    I don't think that this signal strength is a very accurate reading, it is only meant to be a guide, but having said that you should be getting more than 50%.
     
  2. Jeff

    Jeff
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2000
    Messages:
    5,489
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    Basingstoke
    Ratings:
    +256
    My signal strengh and quality meter is only at 50% [​IMG]

    What do you get?

    Also what is acceptable and what is good? What impact does it have on picture and sound quality if any?
     
  3. lynx

    lynx
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2002
    Messages:
    4,633
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    It always rains.
    Ratings:
    +301
    Signal strength 70% (ish)
    Signal quality >90% :)

    I was trawlin the forum ;)
     
  4. Rookies

    Rookies
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2003
    Messages:
    4,900
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    103
    Ratings:
    +345
    Mine arnt that good, But when I get Sky + fitted when I decide on it LOL. I get the damn sky man to get it set up corretly or move it to a better location as my next door neighbour got very good signals
     
  5. loonatic

    loonatic
    Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2003
    Messages:
    1,877
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    41
    Location:
    Springwell Village, Gateshead
    Ratings:
    +16
    I recently upgraded to Sky+ and installed the quad LNB along with new cable myself and now both the signal strength and quality are at about 80% for the two inputs on the Sky+ box and on my old Amstrad Sky box also.

    It only used to be about 50% so not sure wether it's the new LNB or the cable or just that I installed.

    Cheers, Lee
     
  6. lynx

    lynx
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2002
    Messages:
    4,633
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    106
    Location:
    It always rains.
    Ratings:
    +301
    If Jeff started this thread, why is his post second ? :confused:
     
  7. Rookies

    Rookies
    Well-known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2003
    Messages:
    4,900
    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    103
    Ratings:
    +345
    Now that is a point LOL oh oh somthing strange happening here
     
  8. Fernsehman

    Fernsehman
    Guest

    Products Owned:
    0
    Products Wanted:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of years ago I plugged two identical Sky Digiboxes into my dish. One read 40% signal and the other 60%. Both indicated 50% quality.

    I think the signal reading should be taken with a large pinch of salt. The quality reading seems more important. Anything less than 40% and you're gonna lose the picture in a rainstorm.

    BTW someone mentioned fitting a quad-output LNB?

    One thing I noticed about these is that they are HEAVY.
    When you fit one, notice how the dish arm bends downwards MORE than with the standard LNB. On mine the quality reading was way down till I realised I had to bend that arm up to compensate. Also had to adjust the "skew" to improve the quality reading.

    Fman
     

Share This Page

Loading...