How good is Xbox comparing to generic DVD player (in HD upscaling)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PrTv, Jul 11, 2005.

1. PrTv

PrTv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since my question is mainly about using Xbox as DVD Player, I think it's Ok to post it here (not on Game section).

I know that Xbox (using Xbox Media Center - XBMC- ) support HD resolution and by using XBMC, you can Upscale any source (Video) to output in HD resolution (such as 720p).

My question is, How good is the Image Quality comparing to generic DVD Player that support Upscaling (like the player in this review Oppo OPDV971H Review ) .

Since I don't have neither HD-TV nor DVD Player (that support scaling), I can't figure it out by myself.

So I like to know if Xbox is anygood comparing to those specific players (in term of Image Quality and Speed).

Thanks for your reply.

P.S. My question is only about Upscaling Generic DVD Movies to output @higher resolution, Not about using Xbox to play NATIVE HD movies (like HD WMV that encoded @1280x720) cause I know that Xbox is too weak to deal with those source.

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    As a fall back the xbox is more than adequate for upscaling and watching dvd's and it provides a good way to see how an upscaled DVD could look on your screen.

But the problem is that the picture processing is quite basic, since all the processing is being done in software, what is most noticeable is aliaisng, i.e. jagged lines which is pretty much the deal breaker.

I would take a dvd player with hardware based upscaling and filtering over the xbox, and keep xbox as a last resort if all else fails

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I don't agree.

If you use a modded Xbox with progressive scan options and Xbox media center. The results are very good.
    Easily as good as a med spec htpc package.

4. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, depends on what you think is important. Personally even if the xbox gave out 1080 progressive and rubbed your back for you, I still wouldnt use it as a dvd player because of the truly awful fan and hard drive noise of the thing. I mean, you can hear it in another room with the door shut. And no mine isnt faulty, they all do this. A disk player should be seen and not heard imho.

5. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I would say it varies from revision to revision, my black 1.1 was much quieter than my 1.6 crystal.

There's noting stopping you from modding the fan and upgrading the HDD to a larger, quieter one.

6. pikkujöpö

pikkujöpö
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How would the modded Xbox work with 754x480 LCD projector (480p)?
    As I have always dreamed about htpc but can not afford one.
    Would modded Xbox outperform cheap progressive scan players as 100£ Pioneer and such?

About how much it will cost to modify Xbox?My projector has VGA and component connections.

7. PrTv

PrTv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all repiles.

Using Xbox as media center is very interesting for me. Since noise is not my concern (I can stand the Fan noise, I even adjust my fan to run@ 100% at this time cause my place is so hot :devil: ).

How much it will cost you to having your Xbox mod....
    Actually, it's free, if you have friend do it for you.
    Or if you want to do it yourself, I recommend softmod, since it's not too hard to do and you don't have to open your xbox.

Just get the game (the original Splinter Cell or original Golden Eyes; you can get it used at extremely cheap price) Action Replay/w memory pack and some study (at xbox-scene) I think it can be done easily by yourself.

Since your ProJ has compenent input, you can buy Xbox HD Pack and use DVD-Component.

About quality of playing DVD comparing to Pioneer, since I don't have that player, I can't tell how good it is. But quality of Xbox playing DVD is pretty good. I used to compare it with my father's Denon (I can't remember the model but it's pretty good player) @progressive output. Quality of Xbox is not bad, comparing to that player.

8. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I personally hate using the XBox as a player. I sometimes resort to it if I get handed a high quality DIVX but I gave up on using it as a DVD player a while ago.

It just didn't look as good (an original DVD looked 'DIVXed') plus I had issues with it playing some discs and controlling it with the gamepad was nasty :(

Maybe I need to try a newer XBMC...the last one I compiled was November 05 IIRC.

This is running with a chipped XBox, MS High-def pack and XBox set to US region.

9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    As a DVD player (upscaling). the XBox isn't too hot. All sorts of issues.....last resort when your player dies. It is the worst I have here of all the DVD 'solutions'.