How good is XBMC!!!!

zAndy1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Blimey, how impressive is this software! Seriously, just played the madagascar 720p hidef divx clip streamed from my PC upstairs (this one) and it played flawlessly! It has no right to do that it's a 733Mhz CPU! I was amazed and it looked incredible! Sorted out a problem I had with the video tearing which turned out to be a setting in XBMC to do with high quality per pixel processing or something like that lol. Anyway it's fine now.
Only problem I have is music streamed from my PC is very very quiet! I have to have my amp turned up to almost 0db for it to be at a reasonable level which can't be good for the amp and can't be right! Any ideas on that one anyone?
Apart from that bloody hell it's impressive, looking forward to the next episode of lost in 960x520 DD5.1 goodness now!

Cheers
Andy

Totally agree. It's absolutely superb. I've watched some of those Lost episodes you refer to and if it weren't for the breaks where the adverts were cut out and the broadcaster's logo on screen you'd almost think it was DVD quality...and the Xbox plays them all flawlessley :).

zAndy1 said:
Only problem I have is music streamed from my PC is very very quiet! I have to have my amp turned up to almost 0db for it to be at a reasonable level which can't be good for the amp and can't be right! Any ideas on that one anyone?
Andy

I Have it streaming Itunes and the sound is superb.
Have pushed the volume up on your joy pad ( Right joystick ) :smashin:

Yeah I figured out the volume lol... One problem I've got is shoutcast doesn't seem to work, just says failed to download streams or something like that. Not sure why cos it has an internet connection ok as the weather works fine. Apart from that I just need to start tweaking it really and work out how to FTP stuff to/from it.
LEEMJONES... if you buy a modded xbox from some places it will have XBMC installed e.g. from advancedxbox.com , failing that you can get it the software from various places (not sure which yet as I haven't looked to be honest).

monkeyleader, you should download the 700MB DD5.1 versions, so much better than those 350MB ones.

zAndy1 said:
Apart from that I just need to start tweaking it really and work out how to FTP stuff to/from it.

I told you what you need on your other thread.

Here's a reminder.

geewhizz said:
Dont know much about soft modding " mines is hard modded so to speak "
I use a program called Craxtion From xbox- scene, You may have to join them to download.
You will probably need "Slayers Evox Auto Installer" depends if you play on xbox live,
Once you've installed all, all you do is download xbmc then ftp it to your xbox using craxtion.

Hope this helps

Cheers... getting there, sorted out the shoutcast problem (didn't have a DNS specified in the network settings). Sorted out SMB Shares and got XBMC on the main menu of evox, might make XBMC my default dash not sure. Still impresses me each time I use it. Streamed Invasion from my PC last night, was ok but there was some stuttering, didn't seem to be caused by the fact it was being streamed as the audio was fine at the time it stuttered, will need to do some investigation into that but it wasn't too distracting.

zAndy1 said:
Cheers... getting there, sorted out the shoutcast problem (didn't have a DNS specified in the network settings). Sorted out SMB Shares and got XBMC on the main menu of evox, might make XBMC my default dash not sure. Still impresses me each time I use it. ....

I go home and hug mine each night before the girlfriend :rotfl:

Joke!

XBMC works fine as a Dash as well, I use it like this. You might want to look at the extra features in the XBMC that you probably haven't noticed like....

RSS feeds and Python Scripts to name two. :thumbsup:

There is also a web browser which is in Alpha (i think). You can get builds with this already incorparated or you can download it from the site. Can't remember its name off the top of my head.

Enjoy XBMC! I do :)

zAndy1 said:
Blimey, how impressive is this software! Seriously, just played the madagascar 720p hidef divx clip streamed from my PC upstairs (this one) and it played flawlessly! Cheers
Andy

Have you got a link to this? I've just got a HD sammy and, having an iMac have no PC capable of running the HD MS vids, so the only way I can get any HD sources is from XBMC. Tried the MS Shuttle one and it wouldnt run smooth (as to be expected really). I'm surprised you got the madagascar one to work....

Yeah that's where I got mine from, it's only a clip not the full film. I was amazed it played it I really was, looked superb.

That xbmc looks great. Am i right in thinking that the 360 will do a similar/same sort of thing(if you have XP:Media Edition)?

PooonTang said:
That xbmc looks great. Am i right in thinking that the 360 will do a similar/same sort of thing(if you have XP:Media Edition)?
No, not really - my understanding is that it will work as an extender for MCE but will only play MCE supported files, so basically not divx/xvid or vobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dunno if I'm maybe using an old XBMC, but the x360 WMVs won't run.

:(

EDIT

For some reasn it's now not playing files that it would before !

Only thing I've done is change cables and use Enigmah to turn on all the HD options.....

Hmm, sorted the files not playing that would before. I'd got XBMC dash set to 1080i. Dropped it a notch and now they all play. Still can't get the x360 ones to work though.

zAndy1 said:
monkeyleader, you should download the 700MB DD5.1 versions, so much better than those 350MB ones.

Where's everyone finding the 700MB versions, I can only find the 350MB ones!? :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom