How good is the yamaha Rx-V381?

Techie2042

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, new here.

I know the receiver in question is a few years old, but a few weeks ago I purchased an onkyo tx nr515 receiver as its been 15 or so years since I had a home theatre and so wanted to have another, but budget based as its for a bedroom. The one thing that sold it to me was having hdmi ports and more specifically an Arc. I purchased brand new Yamaha Ns-p41 which weren't really budget in my case, but paying monthly for them, so fits in well with price and as such aren't up for being changed plus I'm happy with them.

Now the whole system is good and I'm happy with it, but I recently got a ps5 which wasn't a plan when I was buying a receiver, so little did I know it would only support 1080p video if I wanted to make use of 5.1 and so now I have seen the rxv381 on fb for same price as what I paid for the onkyo(under £70) and with that having 4k support on all hdmi ports despite having less of them, it seems like too good to pass up, but I'm curious to how good it is and if it will work well with my speakers? It's the 4k support I'm after, but I don't want to skimp on performance or least risk damaging my speakers just for that feature.

Cheers

Welcome to the Forum.

Your speakers will present no problems for running them with the Yamaha. You will still have to by-pass the Yamaha with the PS5 if your TV is capable of 120hz for video.

Welcome to the Forum.

Your speakers will present no problems for running them with the Yamaha. You will still have to by-pass the Yamaha with the PS5 if your TV is capable of 120hz for video.
Thank you and for the reply.

The TV I have is

LG 43UP77006LB​

2021 Model. Its 60hz. Only had it a few months and got a 2nd older 4k lg 3d model, so for now I'm only interested in 4k 60hz. I have a 144hz 1080p monitor if I want to try fast paced. The picture looks really good in 1080p especially in my recent purchase of cyberpunk 2077, but I obviously want true 4k gaming the console meant for with the added addition of surround sound.

So given the 60hz limit, will it just be a straight up connect or would I have to bypass anything? All being well I can get the receiver later today, just want to make sure it's a good purchase for what Im after and have no issues with game consoles

With 60hz you can connect directly to the Yamaha. This will give you HD audio. I'm not a gamer so don't know if there are any inherent problems with the Yamaha although I've not come across any reading here on the Forum.

With 60hz you can connect directly to the Yamaha. This will give you HD audio. I'm not a gamer so don't know if there are any inherent problems with the Yamaha although I've not come across any reading here on the Forum.
OK cheers.

With my first home cinema years ago I could connect to the consoles via optical, obviously these days things have changed and not always that simple.

It will be a HDMI connection now. Optical is only used for and capable of SD audio.

I have a view sonic px701 4k projector that supports up to 244hz for 2 of my gaming consoles and looking to get the yamaha rx v381 receiver or the onkyo 5100 receiver which one would be better to pare with to get the most out of my projector performance and would I just connect my gaming consoles hdmi to the projector hdmi ports then connect the projector hdmi out to the receiver???? (I’m new to this lol)

Welcome to the Forum.

What do you mean by “by pass” is the Yamaha able to do at least 1080p 120hz For ps5 and Xbox ? Ask because I have a projector that supports 244 hz and I wanna be able to hook it up with the receiver and play my games at 120hz taking advantage of the surround sound aswell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom