How good is the Xbox 360 Slim as a CD player?

tyrone burton

Ex Member
Reaction score
I read that the PS3 as a CD player isn't great and not really recommended, what about the Xbox 360 slim? Is it better? Oh and I don't mean as ripping the music from the CD into any kind of codec, I just mean as in putting the disc in normally.

If you have no other way of spinning CDs then the X-Box, like the PS3 will do the job, it just won't do it as well as a dedicated spinner.

Out of the PS3 and Xbox 360, what would be the best option for a CD player?

I mainly only have games consoles in my setup and use my PS3 as my BD player, and music is something I love to do so finding which console does it best is better than using one that's a little inferior.

I have the same question. :D
Wanting to use my Xbox 360 slim as a music player (when I'm too lazy to turn on my PC e.g. early in the morning before going to work). Haven't tried it yet but read something about resampling from the Xbox that screws up the quality. Anyone knows more about that?

I read that the PS3 as a CD player isn't great and not really recommended, what about the Xbox 360 slim? Is it better? Oh and I don't mean as ripping the music from the CD into any kind of codec, I just mean as in putting the disc in normally.

Are you using an AVR? If so, which one?

If so then just use the Xbox as a transport and use the DACs in the AVR.

Are you using an AVR? If so, which one?

If so then just use the Xbox as a transport and use the DACs in the AVR.
By "transport" do you mean using Optical connector from the xbox to the AVR? :confused:

It makes a lot of fan and disc spinning noise. If you can live with that it's fine.

By "transport" do you mean using Optical connector from the xbox to the AVR? :confused:

Exactly:smashin:

No I don't have an AVR unfortunately.

So are you running into actives or via a traditional stereo amp that's without DACs?

If so, keep an eye out for a decent used / pre-loved DAC in the classifieds here. Once you have a decent DAC it also opens up your options in terms of other sources down the line, like your PC.

Seeing as the PS3 is my CD player ( or the 360) it has bitmapping settings. I was wanting to turn them off in the PS3s settings, would it be wise to do that?

Dazzor said:
Exactly:smashin:

So are you running into actives or via a traditional stereo amp that's without DACs?

If so, keep an eye out for a decent used / pre-loved DAC in the classifieds here. Once you have a decent DAC it also opens up your options in terms of other sources down the line, like your PC.

Honestly I don't know what you mean there lol. I'll just give you an idea of my small setup.

My PS3 and consoles are all connected to my TV via HDMI, I don't have a surround or AVR. The sound comes from my Headphones connected to my TV.

Honestly I don't know what you mean there lol. I'll just give you an idea of my small setup.

My PS3 and consoles are all connected to my TV via HDMI, I don't have a surround or AVR. The sound comes from my Headphones connected to my TV.

Cool, so you're using the Digital to Analogue Converts in your TV as HDMI is a digital connection.

So you want better sound quality into your headphones, correct?

Buy a decent Headphone amp with inbuilt DACs. I'm not into Headphone amps so can't make a suggestion based on experience..perhaps other members can comment.

I can add a little bit to that.
Most TVs don't have a very good DAC. That's why some opt to buy a separate DACs to switch between various digital sources. Most AVR (AV Receivers) have built-in DACs which are usually better than your TV - and it will also be able to decode surround input as a plus.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have never seen the benefit of headphone amps though, unless you exclusively uses headphones all the time. I would prefer to get a decent amp with headphones output so I can use external speakers (in my experience, a decent used pair of bookshelf speakers can eat a normal TV speakers for lunch) or headphones as required.

Most TVs don't have a very good DAC. That's why some opt to buy a separate DACs to switch between various digital sources. Most AVR (AV Receivers) have built-in DACs which are usually better than your TV - and it will also be able to decode surround input as a plus.

Maybe I'm wrong but I have never seen the benefit of headphone amps though, unless you exclusively uses headphones all the time. I would prefer to get a decent amp with headphones output so I can use external speakers (in my experience, a decent used pair of bookshelf speakers can eat a normal TV speakers for lunch) or headphones as required.

Agreed...but not quite, IMO, anyway....

You see Headphone amps, decent ones anyway often have very nice pre-amp stages in them that far exceed the remit of the stage you'd find in an AVR, even a flagship AVR. In fact the headphone facility on my old Arcam A85 isn't that great compared to say a Graham Slee headphone amp.

Also, a decent headphone amp can act as a pre-amp too, so you can add a power-amp later for passive speakers.

Still, I am talking true stereo amp fodder here, not surround concerns...this is the hifi section after all:)

KR

Darren

testdasi said:

Yes, my headphones are definitely better than my TVs speakers, that's why I use em so I guess I'll take a look around for a headphone amp. Any advice on a good brand at all for headphone amps?

Yes, my headphones are definitely better than my TVs speakers, that's why I use em so I guess I'll take a look around for a headphone amp. Any advice on a good brand at all for headphone amps?

Bit of back-tracking here and to support testdasi earlier post....

If you do think you'll want to add speakers later then a half decent AVR would be one option, or, if you think stereo / 2-channel is the way you want to go then really a decent integrated stereo amp with inbuilt DAC's would be a better option.

Either integrated amp options will still blow your TV out of the water in terms of SQ for headphones and you have more options for a speaker-system down the line.

Can't find it right now but there is a thread on here about stereo amps with inbuilt DAC's / digital connectivity...I'll edit this post when I find it and add a link for you.

If music is paramount, buy a proper music, stereo amp over and above an AVR, that's the general consensus on here. I too have a bit experience in this area too...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1237379-stereo-amp-up-use-my-yamaha-z7.html?highlight=z7
http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1358235-beresford-tc-7220-my-experience.html?highlight=z7

Last edited:
Like all audio equipments, it actually depends a lot on your budget.
I only know for sure the FIIO E9 is very good and (relatively) cheap but it's for PC and I didn't quite like the sound as much when using Aux In. And of course sold for lack of use LOL. :laugh:

Hi again.

I understand that a headphone amplifier increases the sound quality of your headphones, but technically what do they do to the headphones? Add a higher frequency compatibility?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom