1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the Suzuki Swift?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Miyazaki, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    My missus' car has finally carked it and we are thinking about getting her a newer one.

I am going to see a 1998 1.0 suzuki swift tomorrow with 55,000 on the clock, full mot and tax, at £1200.

Looked on parkers and they have this year cart with 60,000 miles at just over £1100.

Would offering £1000 for her car be a smack in the face?

I have only ever bought my car before, and I had my knowledable father-in-law with me who has a gift of the gab to talk down the price on that :devil:

I only really have £1000 to spare, can't afford anything more, and the swift seems like the best option.

I also saw a 1993 vw polo, with 40,000 on the clock at £700. Would I be better off going for that?

2. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    Only offer what you can offer, if it isn't good enough for them don't be scared to walk away...there are thousands of cars for sale. I wouldn't go for a 1993 car though as it is more likely to be a money pit even with the lower mileage. Swifts are not bad...a bit rattly but mechanically sound.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Parkers gave the swift 1.5/5 :rotfl:

I can see why, it is a bit of a dog to look at and the ride is pretty atrocious, but as long as it is fairly economical and reliable I don't mind. After all beggars can't be choosers.

Cheers for the feedback though decadence :thumbsup:

Anyone out there daring enough to admit they are an owner of a swift? :devil: Or anyone had a go in one, or got an opinion?

TBH with £1000 I am right at the edge of what I can afford. Ideally i'd offer £900 for it, as that would be more financially comfortable. Danger is that if I say £1000, the owner says £1100, I don't have much comeback, but if I said £900, she must just tell me to stick it up my arse :(

4. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    Don't worry about the haggling...just say £1,000 or maybe £950. You have a budget, like I said, don't be afraid to walk away...it's a shame really, I have just sold my wife's S Reg Punto 1.2sx 16v for £1,000.

5. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    You say £900, he will say £1100 and the you say meet in the middle at a grand and jobs done.

I would recomend a hpi check which will cost around £30 and if you dont know what to check for in a used car take a knowlegeble friend with you or get the RAC/AA to do a car check.

As far as the swift goes, i know someone who knew someone who had one. He loved it and offered it to my mother about 6 months ago for £2000 and it was a 2001 '51' reg. Damn we missed that superb deal.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Humberside to Plymouth is a bit of a jaunt mate. :D

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    yes but I could have dropped it off and watched Hull whip Plymouth's ass at the same time!

8. jibber

jibber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm sorry but i have to disagree, a hpi check on a £1000 car, seems a waste of money to me after all it's only a cheap ol banger your going to get..., no on the other hand if you were buying a nearly new car at say £12 -18k then fine get a hpi check on the car..

best thing to do is take someone with you know know's a little about engines, get him to verify that all is ok check out the chassis numbers against the log book, check how many owners it has and how often thay have changed, that's the hint to how the car is, because say if it's had 8 owners in two years it's probably a car to walk away from with loads of problems...

but for £1000 you can get a lot more for your money, try searching on autotrader with your price limit on and engine size you prefer and see what comes up in the list.., at least if you buy from a garage you would have some form of warrenty..

jjibber.

9. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    ........which the person selling it purchased on finance about 6 months prior to this for £1995.00, still owes over £1500 on finance and is selling it because they are hard up. They have no intention of settling the finance, and sooner or later you will have somebody knocking on your door from the bailiffs etc. to reposses said motor vehicle because it actually belongs to the finance company.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Christiano Ronaldo from Man Utd drives the new one !!

So must be a good car, considering that he can afford any car on his wages.

11. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can assure you that a footballer wouldn't be the first person I'd ask for advice about buying cars. They're hardly bastions of good taste, are they?

There are a lot of cheap superminis on the market. A Suzuki Swift isn't going to be the easiest car to find cheap parts for: if you're on a budget, I'd buy a Ford, Vauxhall, VW or something else that's a bit more mainstream.

Japanese cars have a tendency to be very expensive to service, and to buy parts for.