1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the Sharp GA3/4?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by LordSauce, Nov 27, 2004.

1. LordSauce

LordSauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wandered up Tottenham Court Road today to try and compare the Sharp 26" and 32" screens with equivalent Panasonic (26LXD & 32LXD), Toshiba (26WL46 & 32WL46) and Philips (32PF9986), but all the Sharps were showing analogue TV signals!

I found the others showing DVDs and thought the Panasonic looked the best, but I love the fact that you can remove the speakers from the Sharp screens - I'm hoping to use it with a surround system, and I reckon it looks the dog's doodahs without the speakers.

Judging but the other threads I'll be lucky to find one anyway, but in case I do...how does the picture compare?

Cheers.

LordSauce.

2. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've had one for a few days. The picture quality is very good. It took a bit of tweaking though, because the default settings (various pre-configured AV Modes) were all dreadful - far too much colour for our tastes.

Once I'd tweaked, though, I was blown away.

The 'Digital Noise Reduction' does make a noticeable difference, as does the 'Quick Shoot' setting, which we put on during football.

DVD from our HTPC via DVI at 1360x768 dot-by-dot mode (using an ATI Radeon 9200 and powerstrip) looks excellent - difficult to fault that in any way. Windows applications look amazing. In fact, I couldn't believe how good text etc. looked. Winamp visualizations at full screen are pretty cool too.

The only fault I can pick with this set is that the blacks are, if anything, too black. What I mean by this is that it is hard to set the contrast, brightness and backlight in such a way that you can get nice contrasts in the darker areas of a shot. You can get nice solid blacks, but they sometimes look a bit artificially black. It took a bit of fiddling with the settings to get the best out of it.

Oh, the only other thing is that the Optical Picture Control setting (which adjusts baclkight brightness according to ambient light in the room) is not that great. It tends to over-darken the picture. Turn it off and adjust the backlight manually.

You're right about the detachable speakers. Ours never even made it out of the wrappers. The TV looks very sleek. I think the stand is a bit wide, but apart from that it just looks like a very large, very cool LCD PC monitor.

HTH

3. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    APC,
    What did you finally use for th settings?

4. LordSauce

LordSauce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks APC! I'm sold! There hardly seems to be anything said against it in this forum.

Now I just need to find one...

5. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimg, I'll post the settings later tonight.

LordSauce, the Sharp seems to be popular but I would still highly recommend you go out for a Saturday window shopping trip and compare as many LCDs as possible in the flesh. They differ quite dramatically, as do personal tastes.

6. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would also be interested in the settings if thats ok. I would like to test a screen in a store but they are never set up to their true capabilities.

Many thanks
    Gpc

7. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, here goes with the settings. Bear in mind that these are set up for our living room, so they might not actually look as good in your environment.

OPC = Off
    Backlight = STD (central position)
    Contrast = 0
    Brightness = +11
    Colour = -3
    Tint = 0
    Sharpness = 0

Advanced settings:

Advanced CMS:
    'Hue', 'saturation' and 'value' all set to default

Colour Temp = Middle
    Black level expansion = Off
    Film mode = Off

Other settings:
    DNR = High
    Quick shoot = Off (but On for footie)

These settings are for TV. I use different settings for the PC input. you can configure five different preset modes of your own.

8. dmsims

dmsims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Look at the JVC LT26c31 as well, I bought it in preference to the SHARP

9. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    APC,
    Thanks for that, I will try those and see what they are like.
    Cheers
    Jim