How good is the REL STENTOR II?

targetrich

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new sub-woofer. I could stretch up to maybe £1000 for the right one, but is £750 - £800 a good price for one?

Any help appreciated!
:confused:

i dont have the Stentor but i do have other RELS.

Personally i am very happy indeed with mine so i would definately recommend them but, as i am sure you have read on this forum, most people seem to favour the SVS range which, now they are distributed in the uk, only offer a limited choice.

Plus the fact if you have a local REL dealer you may well be able to take one home for a home audition, which you cant do with the SVS's, but, again, most people who have bought an SVS have kept them so i suppose something has to be said for them.

Food for thought.

I have a Stentor, it is okay but there are better subs around

nic is right,stentor is good but there are now better subs around.and some whose quoted figures are more useful than rels.best way is take it home and try if you can.

thanks, I'm keeping an eye on a couple of Stentor 2's on Ebay which should go for between £650 - £850. I'm not certain if I could afford one at the moment unless it's a absolute steal!

Better subs can be bought for £300 butthey don't look like furniture

The earlier Rel's had awful crossover's imho. Nowhere near the comparable 3rd order. Lots of mid/treble leakage. You really have to set it low (<30hz).
Later generations were markedly improved.

It sounds like I could do better. What kind of money for a sub am I looking at if my speakers are Proac D15s, and the Processor is a Tag AR32R? I'm completely oblivious to SVS, and I remember the B&W PV-1 being heartily criticised. Is £1000 too much to spend in my system?

targetrich said:
Is £1000 too much to spend in my system?

Not at all.
The PB2 Ultra looks to be super-duper. It's "lesser" brother the Plus is greta value for money. You might just have to wait a little while for the Ultra to arrive here in the UK. Either of these subs are someway removed from the PV-1.

Ah, I see! Don't worry. So many people on this forum recommend the SVS subs I'm becoming suspicious!

There are plenty of other top performing subs also, SVS just seems to offer this performance for less money.

targetrich said:
So many people on this forum recommend the SVS subs I'm becoming suspicious!

It could all be just marketing hype or it could be that a good few forum members know a good deal when they hear it.

Secrets of Home Theater is one of the most respected AV mags around and they tested the baby of the SVS range here. This is the PB-10 which is available from the UK distributors via the forum powerbuy for £420 and which would probably outperform the Stentor 2 even though it costs much less..

I have a Stentor 3 and its a cracking subwoofer. Nic I agree with you about the early models having poor crossovers, it is definitely not the case on the 3 generation of them though, no leakage at all.

The 3 is a different animal on both power, distortion but in particular their amazing crossover / connection ability. The 1 and 2 are a 'little' different. Still don't know what to do with my 1 :(

As you can see I have a SVS PB12 Plus 2 and use it with a Tag AV32R DP. TMREQ'd this sub is a fantastic bit of kit and far removed from the previous RELs I have owned, theres really no comparison :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom