How good is the PS3 as a Blu Ray Player?

Ralphy1981

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've been chatting to a sales guy in a Sony Centre today and he reckons the PS3 doesn't play Blu Ray in as much qulaity and sharpness as a Sony Blu Ray player? :confused:

Is this a sales tactic to get me to fork out £699 for a Blu Ray player?

He also said HD DVD will die a death and Blu Ray will take over like VHS did over Betamax back in the day.

Comments?

His comments on HD DVD are probably best not made by someone selling Blu ray only for Sony. I don't agree with them and I think many now see the future as dual format.

Re Blu ray, the PS3 is an excellent machine but is limited in some of it's functions and ultimately quality. If you use it to it's best advantage (HDMI) there is little to touch it, if however you want to use say component and analogue audio outputs then the Sony standalones may well be better for you. It is really down to what you want from a Blu ray player.

[Sony will make money on standalones but subsidise the PS3 hope'ng you play games]

I've been chatting to a sales guy in a Sony Centre today and he reckons the PS3 doesn't play Blu Ray in as much qulaity and sharpness as a Sony Blu Ray player? :confused:

Is this a sales tactic to get me to fork out £699 for a Blu Ray player?

He also said HD DVD will die a death and Blu Ray will take over like VHS did over Betamax back in the day.

Comments?

Hi Ralphy1981 :)
I have the PS3 and i'm extremely happy with ,use it for Blu-ray only. :cool:
Have also demoed a Sony Blu-ray player,Panasonic and Pioneer all have excellent PQ but at the end of the day was on par with the Ps3's PQ performance.
So it's the Ps3 for me,for the foreseeable future. :)

I too use a PS3 for Blu-ray playback only. For the money, it is fabulous value for money especially when compared to the prices of standalone Blu-ray players.

Regarding the comments on HD-DVD, take them with a lorry load of salt.

Both parts of the conversation were undoubtedly sales talk. Don't fall for it.

:)

I too use a PS3 for Blu-ray playback only. For the money, it is fabulous value for money especially when compared to the prices of standalone Blu-ray players.

:)
Couldn't agree more,mate! :smashin:

Aside from his comments re the PS3 and HD DVD, please also consider that you don't have to pay anything like £699 for a BD standalone. Sony's own S300 can be had for less than £260 these days.

Ok, thats eased my concerns abit.

I just don't want to fork out £300 for a PS3 only to find the Blu Ray playback is rubbish. I guess the fact that it's a games console is the reason for my concerns.

I really want to go dual format so it's important the PS3 performs.

I have just purchased a 40 inch 1080p Samsung so want to build my home cinema up.

I would ideally like, a PS3, Toshiba EP35 and some form of Surround sound.

Only problem is, most if not all home cinema surround sound kits come with a DVD player which if i'm buying a EP35, is not required.

Ok, thats eased my concerns abit.

I just don't want to fork out £300 for a PS3 only to find the Blu Ray playback is rubbish. I guess the fact that it's a games console is the reason for my concerns.

I really want to go dual format so it's important the PS3 performs.

Hi Ralphy1981 :)
The Ps3 delivers with Blu-ray on PQ performance,you've got no worries.
Never played a game on the Ps3 and probably never will.
Cheers. :)

Hi mate :hiya:

I shall be taking the plunge next week sometime if I can find a 60 gb PS3 :confused:

Nobody has them in stock!

What are the differences between the 40 gig and 60 gig one apart from the obvious!

I shall be taking the plunge next week sometime if I can find a 60gb PS3 :confused:

What are the differences between the 40 gig and 60 gig one apart from the obvious!

If you what to play games you might be better of with a 60g...If not a 40g will do for bd

Jon

I shall be taking the plunge next week sometime if I can find a 60 gb PS3 :confused:

Hi mate :)
Here's the difference:
I copied this from a post by Bald Monkey. :)
Only a 40GB HDD, no backwards compatability, no memory card readers, 2 less USB ports.. and still no rumble controllers....

(according to GAME no SCAD playback or ethernet cable inc

My friend has a BDP300B blu-ray player and I have a PS3 and to be honest I can't tell any difference either way.

As for HD-DVD dying a death, I hope it doesn't as i've just bought into the format!! I think it's going to stay dual format for a good while, although if Warner goes single format to either side it'd certainly give them a big boost.

so no rumble controllers on the 40gb version ?

:D Don't be too worried, non on the 60Gb version either... however they are going to be released in the US and Japan very soon... I believe, yet here in Europe we have to wait... yet again... :mad: Just one of my pet hates as is the fact that Sony originally said rumble packs were "like soo... last Gen" :D then gave use these six axis gimped things, that are just a waste of space IMHO, (have you tired to use them :eek:) then we all realised the rumble packs weren't originally included because of legal reasons, and the rest was Sony FUD, now all the legalities are sorted, and rumble controllers are the latest thing!! :lesson: :rolleyes:

:rotfl:

However as the PS3 has no decent games, and most of us on here only buy it as a subsidised BR player, and a good one of them it is too! ;) Non of that really matters! :devil:

:oops:

What console is best for games in your opinion then? The Xbox 360?

Remember the PS3 is quite new.

What console is best for games in your opinion then? The Xbox 360?

Remember the PS3 is quite new.

No offence mate, but that's probably a subject best left to another forum.. ;)

Ok :D as you are the OP, And this is just my opinion that is all, I prefer my Xbox360. The PS3 has only been used for BR playback despite having a few games for it.. One major factor is that if I fancy some gaming with my mates, the 360 is simple to set-up a game with them online, and they all have them :smashin: So it's either a good online gaming session with mates or a lonely bash on the PS3... the 360 wins everytime ;)

As regards the HD playback ;) I think the PS3 is a better and more rounded HD player than the Xbox360 HD-DVD addon combo, both are pretty good, but both have comprimises also, I just feel the PS3 is more 'complete' somehow as a player... You still need both though as both formats are a necessity..

Fair enough mate.

My mate has a 360 and another has a Wii but i'm a loyal Sony man when it comes to gaming.:)

If you were in my situation, had a 1080p tv with only a standard definition DVD player, would you buy a PS3 first or a Toshiba EP30/35 HD DVD player?

My mate has a 360 and another has a Wii but i'm a loyal Sony man when it comes to gaming.:)

:D so was I before I traded my second PS2 in for a 360... still got my PSP though ;)

IMO the 360 is where it's at.. I don't care about specs, brand loyalty, numbers v's numbers etc.. I just care about good games and simple fun! and IMO the PS3 doesn't give me that, personally.. :D

Choice between the PS3 and EP35 is tricky, the PS3 as I've said just isn't currently competitive as a games console IMHO, and non of the other bumf such as memory card readers, Home ?? if it ever appears :rolleyes: It being like a really powerfull PC :rotfl: etc etc really matter to me...

So just for movie playback.. PS3 or EP35... ermmm, I guess I would see what exclusive movies are on each and choose from that :D I know it's a cliche, but you can't choose a format based on stats, it's the movies you'll want to watch so choose it according to the movies, the whole HD-DVD v's BR debate has been done to death, the simple answer is have both, which I really think you should try and do... However having said that the PS3 is stable and most likely to be profile 1.1 compatable and therefore should continue to be a good BR player when the new BR titles start to turn up, The EP35 is an excellent player offering technical improvements IMO over the PS3, but they still seem to need some tweaking... hopefully future firmware updates will improve them. ;) The EP35 does come with up to 8 free HD-DVD's however, which can't be ignored.. yet the PS3 probably only a couple... It's a hard choice. I guess if they both played the same format I'd choose the EP35, but thats for personal reasons, (mainly to do with the sound outputs) the PS3 wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

I still think because of the free movies, unless you wanted a PS3 for any other reason such as gaming I'd go for a HD-DVD player this Xmas and look to get a PS3 as soon as possible after Xmas, or wait for the new profile 1.1 players to come out? However if there's more movies on BR that interest you then a PS3 now and picking up a cheap EP1 in the Jan sales if poss would also make a lot of sense..

Ultimately if you can't have both it's a decision only you can make... just don't let it put you off !! They are both worth it! :clap:

Sorry for the ramble... :D

Hi Ralphy

I'm another PS3 owner. I'm very happy with it and prefer to two stand alone players I had a loan of. They were the Pioneer LX70 and the new Panasonic. The PS3's not perfect but for the price you can't go far wrong. I've no idea how well it stands up against the new cheap Sony stand alone.

One other difference between the 60 and 40gb models is that the 40 doesn't play SACDs. This was a big issue for me and I bought a 60gb just as they were being phased out.

All the best
Bri

hello all,

I too would like to buy a PS3 for Christmas, to be used mainly as a blu-ray player (already have an xbox360 for gaming) , I was wondering how loud the PS3 was getting (fan noise and blu-ray drive noise) while playing a blu-ray movie ? What about playing a standard DV or audio CD ?

Is it as loud as an Xbox360, whisper quiet, in between; do you have to increase the volume of the TV/Amp to cover up the sound of the PS3 like I have to do for my xbox360 (1st model, bought it the day it came out).

Cheers
spanik

It is generally much quieter than the 360 but there is a variability in loudness on all these machines due to manufacturing. For most however it is okay, especially the lower power 40Gb unit (but some will be too loud for some people in some locations).

hello all,

I too would like to buy a PS3 for Christmas, to be used mainly as a blu-ray player (already have an xbox360 for gaming) , I was wondering how loud the PS3 was getting (fan noise and blu-ray drive noise) while playing a blu-ray movie ? What about playing a standard DV or audio CD ?

Is it as loud as an Xbox360, whisper quiet, in between; do you have to increase the volume of the TV/Amp to cover up the sound of the PS3 like I have to do for my xbox360 (1st model, bought it the day it came out).

Cheers
spanik
Hi spanik :)
I only use my Ps3 for Blu-ray playback and i find it pretty quiet. :)
It's about 8 feet away from me in a open rack and it's definitely unobtrusive.

Nobody seems to have mentioned how blisteringly fast the PS3 is for booting, loading and navigating BD movies. MUCH faster than any standalone player on the market. Very quiet too IMHO.

Nobody seems to have mentioned how blisteringly fast the PS3 is for booting, loading and navigating BD movies. MUCH faster than any standalone player on the market. Very quiet too IMHO.

Good point! :smashin:
It is fast,sort have taken it for granted really from day one.Another plus point for this player then. :cool:

thanks guys for all comments, this is really good news ; everything I wanted to hear :) Will go for the 40Gb model (as it seems to be quieter) and upgrade the drive to a 120gb

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom