1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the Philips 963SA built-in DD & DTS Decoder ???!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVJ, Jul 7, 2004.

1. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all Philips 963SA owners !

See if anyone of you have compared between the below two methods of connecting the 963SA to the Surround Receiver :-

(Method-1) feed the Philips 963SA's "digital audio-output" to the Surround Receiver's digital audio-in, and hence use the Surround Receiver's own decorder.

(Method-2) use the Philips 963SA built-in DD & DTS Decorder for watching movie --- i.e. feeding the 963SA's "multi-channel analog audio output" to the Surround receiver's multi-channel input.

What is your comment on the surround sound quality when comparing between the 963SA's built-in decorder against those "old" (several years ago) Surround receiver's own decorder (e.g. the Marantz SR7000) ?

Will the Philips 963SA's built-in decorded DD & DTS surround sound quality MUCH better than the Marantz SR7000's own decording ? (because of the newer decorder & D/A converter in the 963SA)

Looking for any opinion & thanks !

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you have a 963 try it yourself, if you are thinking of buying a 963 wouldn't it be better to buy something newer ?

Have tried my 963 both ways, the on-board decoding is fine, couldn't honestly say it is better or worse than my Yamaha DSP-AX1 .

The new Philips models are almost with us ? :cool:

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

Interesting comment. I have the 962SA (with the dcdi, not a european model). Something newer ? better ? The 962 has been doing sterling service with prog scan into my PJ and I have been very happy with it. Never tried the decoding as it seems better to let the amp do that bit.

But. Better ? hmmm I can feel upgraditis biting at my heels. I was considering buying a cheapy DVD player for general use. Might make a bit more sense to buy a better player for front line duties, particularly if there are major improvements to be had.

Would this be the case and if so, point me in a direction.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi karkus,
    New Philips DVP900SA has HDMI / DSD Upsampling / Video Upscaling, 216Mhz / 12 bit Video Upsampling, Digital Crystal Clear and DCDi, Metal Chassis and Audiophile Circuitry with Advanced Bass Management.
    I'm sticking with my 963SA while it still works OK, but if replacing then would investigate this new Philips.
    No idea if it will be better but would hope so ! :cool:

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No forum reviews as yet ! I shall wait till someone dips their toes in the water. Im just reading about Momitsu players, seems like things are changing.