How good is the Panny E85H as a DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by common, Jun 16, 2004.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As title really - anyone made comparisons with a £200 - £300 dedicated player ?

2. peck2000

peck2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought an E85H . . . replacing a Marantz which I bought from Richer Sounds for £250.

At first I thought the Panasonic played DVDs pretty well and I couldn't see any discernable difference from the picture I got from the Maranz. But last night I was playing a Region 2 copy of "Sex in the City" and the picture kept going dark and light, as though the tv were picking up an anti-copying signal from somewhere (I've posted elsewhere in this forum about the problem).

I'm going to try some different disks tonight after the footie (my wife's the fan, not me :offtopic:) and I'll report back tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure the anti-copying signal thing is just me altering a setting somewhere without realising it, because the first disk I played on the E85H, a Region 1 copy of "Zatoichi 12: The Chess Expert", seemed fine . . .

Peck2000

3. nialli

nialli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think it's as good as any budget (ie under £250) player. It's certainly better than the three year old Toshiba it replaced under my telly. I have had no problems like those above: had it almost two months now and very happy with the quality.

4. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    That's exactly what I used to get with my HS2. On Panic Room it was highly annoying.

No such problems ever with my Sony GX7. What I lost in funtionality I gained in superb AV presentation.