Question How good is the NAD T777 v3?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Mgida, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Mgida

Mgida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    I have a Marantz SR 7007 driving my B&W CM 5.1 set(CM8/CM1/CMC/ASW610) which I mainly use for music...and by the way I love listening my Flac files in Multichannel stereo.
    I have been eager to replace this Marantz since a while now for a better solution, and followed what people are saying about: Arcam (850 and 550), Emotiva XMC, Marantz separates and so on.. and I am almost convinced to the following
    - There are AVR alternatives that can really match separates to 95% of SQ
    - Dirac beats them all when it comes to sound correction software
    - Arcam 850 is overkill for my speakers,costs big time,issues with Dirac implementation
    - NAD T777 v3, with all what it has and doesn't have, is practically my best solution.
    I will never go for more than 7.2 channels and my room is 32 sqm/350 sqft.
    I would really appreciate your opinion on this matter as I have a good offer on the pipe.
    Thanks in advance
    MG

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I believe that a good AVR can be as good as a dedicated stereo amplifier.... That is a belief, not a proven fact. My argument is that economies of scale in manufacturing favour the big battalions. There is no magic sauce anymore in making a good or excellent amplifer, and making 5 or 7 power output modules does not cost much more than making 2. .. the real cost is the design, the marketing, the distribution ,the transformer, the boxes ,the power capacitors. The fact that the NAD can claim ALL amplifers can be driven to 80watts RMS simultaneously, at low distortion is a real factor ,and should be better than the Marantz which only claims 100watts for two amplifiers. .. but then it is 30% more expensive. .
    Good speakers are the most important element.

The review by Ed on this forum is highly positive.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Mgida

Mgida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Danni,
    Would you consider this particular NAD corresponds the power and quality of my speakers?

4. Mgida

Mgida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no plan in changing the CMs so I am really trying to find the perfect match for them...as good as it can get basically.

5. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    This is not an expert loudspeaker opinion, never having heard either of the combinations ..
    From what i read in their specs , an honest 80watt , without any distortion will drive the B&W in the middle of their range... what level do you actually run then at with your current setup, 100w is not significantly different in two channel mode, but if that is sustained over all the channels it should be much louder... .. An interesting aside on the B&W spec sheet is that the total resistance of the cable should be under 0.1 ohm.. that indicates two things to me. .. they like an amplifier with a good damping factor to control the and you need to use 4 to 6 mm sq cable.

6. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    Another option, is to add a stereo amp to the system, and share the front main speakers with the AVR, via the AVR's pre-outs. So, the stereo amp will be a power amp for those speakers when using the AVR. And, it will act as a stand alone stereo amp when listening to 2 channel music.

This will likely work out a better solution both in terms of price and sound quality. Your 5.1 / 7.1 system will get a boost, as you will be adding additional external amplification for the front mains. And for music, you will be cutting out the AVR completely, so you can add a good quality stereo amplifier (preferably with HT bypass) to reproduce 2 channel music, without being compromised by all of the internal electronic gubbings that are present in the AVR chassis.

If you don't want to do what I suggest above, have you heard DIRAC in your room? It *might* not be the revelation that you are expecting (although it might). There are some software trials available, which you might want to try before investing £2.5K in a NAD AVR:

Dirac Live room correction - improves your audio system

7. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    This actually makes a lot of sense - I did find that when I replaced the original cheap amazon basics speaker cables with 2.5mm² van-dame it did noticeably improve the sound to my main speakers from my AVR in pure direct mode with bass control being most notably improved (the real difference here was significantly lower resistance 16AWG CCA vs 13AWG OFC). Even now because I have relatively long cables to 6ohm speakers I am vaguely thinking of upping the main to 4mm² just because the resistance over 10m is enough to pull the DF down on the low impedance point of the speakers. Mains reasons I havn't - 20m of van-damme or similar at 4mm² is not cheap and the resulting cable will be too fat for existing trunking and I am thinking of new speaker anyway which will most likely be 8ohm nominal (but probably still around 3ohm at their lowest point).

In general I think that AVRs in particular and especially when driving lower impedance speakers can do with a bit of overkill on front cable thickness but only if you intend to drive large fronts (floor standers with deep bass extension) as full range which most people probably do not do for AV sound use but may for stereo music in a pure-direct equivalent mode.

8. Mgida

Mgida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys one question,Is the title of my Question misleading in some way?

I was more hoping for posts with experience in this particular NAD, Dirac, the Arcams and Marantzes comparing to what I currently use.
    Trust me, I did use the proper cables since day one, and I researched around regarding adding external amps as well.

Cheers
    Mgida

9. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    There will not be a large volume of people with real experience of what is very much a top of the line product...
    Define proper cables ??? .

10. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    No, not at all. You have posted in the 2 channel forum though, and the NAD T777 v3 is a multi channel AVR, so you might get more specific responses in the AV Receivers forum. I believe there is a NAD AVR owners thread over there.

Also, sometimes people post something with a specific direction in mind, but others may come up with options that haven't been considered. So the thread takes a meander off to explore different avenues.

11. Mgida

Mgida
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Klotz 2 x 4.0. mm², Max length AVR - Speaker 10 meters

12. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    A good choice.. I cannot see any advantage in anything thicker..