Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

How good is the M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DieuBaZin, Apr 21, 2005.

1. DieuBaZin

DieuBaZin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I own a SBLive 5.1 and would like to get something better to match my audio equipment - the card is hooked to a Marantz PM7200P amplifier (no digital connections), itself hooked to two Cabasse MT360 Jersey loudspeakers, so it's a simple stereo system. I do quite a bit of LP recording/audio editing and the like and I'm a huge music lover, hence I'm not totally satisified with the SBLive...
    The fact is, I'm also a gamer. I don't care about EAX/Surround/7.1/whatever 3D effects you throw in since I've got a stereo system, so my guess is the A2496 will do great (plus, I got a trusty recommendation for this chipset so ATM the Envy24 is my current favourite). Yet, out of curiosity, I'd like to know how well it performs in games. I read reviews of the Revolution 7.1 and the DMX6 fire that are both based on the same chip ; the DMX is a tad faster than the Rev due to hardware accel so it could be a good alternative to the A2496, but the latter has been designed for a stereo system (plus, I really don't need/want 7.1 audio or the DMX rack) and seems a bit more appealing to me when it comes to listening to music. I'd just like to have your opinions, especially if you own this card, and learn a bit about its performance in games (I play to virtually anything, from old Doom & DOS games to HL2 and Doom3).

Thanks!!

EDIT : also came accross the Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1 that seems interesting too. Your opinion?

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have this card and play counter strike / HL2 all the time, I dont know what you mean by performance but its a great sounding card that has features like;

Simultaneous analog & digital output
    RCA Phono in & out ports
    S/Pdif in & out ports
    Great sound
    96khz compatible so foobar will love it :)

Can be pain to setup right initially but id recommend it

3. DieuBaZin

DieuBaZin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say "I have this card" I assume you're talking of the A2496 and not the Prodigy?
    I was curious about CPU utilization and what what the FPS drop compared to an Audify 2 for example. I guess it's not noticeable anyway with a good CPU (such as an AXP 3200+), just curious to know about the impact.
    But anyway, you're telling me that this card does it for gaming wich is what I wanted answered so thanks:)

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    yup :)