1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DieuBaZin, Apr 21, 2005.

1. DieuBaZin

DieuBaZin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I own a SBLive 5.1 and would like to get something better to match my audio equipment - the card is hooked to a Marantz PM7200P amplifier (no digital connections), itself hooked to two Cabasse MT360 Jersey loudspeakers, so it's a simple stereo system. I do quite a bit of LP recording/audio editing and the like and I'm a huge music lover, hence I'm not totally satisified with the SBLive...
    The fact is, I'm also a gamer. I don't care about EAX/Surround/7.1/whatever 3D effects you throw in since I've got a stereo system, so my guess is the A2496 will do great (plus, I got a trusty recommendation for this chipset so ATM the Envy24 is my current favourite). Yet, out of curiosity, I'd like to know how well it performs in games. I read reviews of the Revolution 7.1 and the DMX6 fire that are both based on the same chip ; the DMX is a tad faster than the Rev due to hardware accel so it could be a good alternative to the A2496, but the latter has been designed for a stereo system (plus, I really don't need/want 7.1 audio or the DMX rack) and seems a bit more appealing to me when it comes to listening to music. I'd just like to have your opinions, especially if you own this card, and learn a bit about its performance in games (I play to virtually anything, from old Doom & DOS games to HL2 and Doom3).

Thanks!!

EDIT : also came accross the Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1 that seems interesting too. Your opinion?

2. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have this card and play counter strike / HL2 all the time, I dont know what you mean by performance but its a great sounding card that has features like;

Simultaneous analog & digital output
    RCA Phono in & out ports
    S/Pdif in & out ports
    Great sound
    96khz compatible so foobar will love it :)

Can be pain to setup right initially but id recommend it

3. DieuBaZin

DieuBaZin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say "I have this card" I assume you're talking of the A2496 and not the Prodigy?
    I was curious about CPU utilization and what what the FPS drop compared to an Audify 2 for example. I guess it's not noticeable anyway with a good CPU (such as an AXP 3200+), just curious to know about the impact.
    But anyway, you're telling me that this card does it for gaming wich is what I wanted answered so thanks:)

4. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    yup :)