how good is the LG CX

Dodgexander

I noticed one person commented they had 3 CXs & only one of them passed through correctly.
They are talking about a different problem, that the TV always passes 7.1 PCM rather than 5.1...even when the source audio is 5.1. That is a problem that definitely needs to be reported to LG.
Supposidly they had this issue also with the C9 and fixed it, so hopefully if they are made aware they can also fix it on the CX.
The problem shouldn't make a difference unless you have an AVR though, since the two rear channels will just be empty anyway. Feeding a soundbar 5.1 or 7.1 with two empty channels shouldn't make a difference.
What I can't figure out is why I can get DTS direct to the bar & IF the CX is passing through, it doesn't come out as DTS. Is it because of the 'handshake' between the soundbar & the TV that's causing it to drop the signal to Dolby stereo?
Its because all devices in the chain need to support DTS. But if you decode at the source to LPCM using your Blu-Ray player then you don't need each device to support DTS any more, because you are decoding it at that point, instead of your soundbar.

It doesn't matter which stage you decode the audio, you don't lose out letting your player decode it compared to your soundbar. In fact, some devices always defaulted to decode DTS to PCM to default.

I don't think the LG soundbars are all that. From my limited research Samsung are the best if you want the surround experience, that is without breaking the bank and going for a much more expensive Yamaha!

I also don't think the surround effect on Soundbars get that great until you reach models like the Samsung Q800A or Q90T soundbars, the Q900A with rear surrounds actually rivals a decent 5.1 dedicated kit.

KBD

I set the Sony player to PCM output, but by the time it gets to the soundbar through the CX it's Dolby stereo. No matter if the CX is set to PCM/Auto/Pass-through Audio output.
If I connect the Sony player directly to the soundbar, the soundbar reports that it is outputting a DTS signal.
My Fight Club blu-ray is a right PITA to check with, because every time you start it, it goes back to nill, no Resume feature. I should find a better disc for this.

Dodgexander

I set the Sony player to PCM output, but by the time it gets to the soundbar through the CX it's Dolby stereo. No matter if the CX is set to PCM/Auto/Pass-through Audio output.
If I connect the Sony player directly to the soundbar, the soundbar reports that it is outputting a DTS signal.
My Fight Club blu-ray is a right PITA to check with, because every time you start it, it goes back to nill, no Resume feature. I should find a better disc for this.
That may be because the TV is receiving 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM and is detecting your soundbar cannot process that signal since its only ARC, not eARC. It may choose to re-encode it into Dolby which it knows the soundbar supports.

The TV my only pass multi channel PCM when connected to an eARC soundbar or AVR.

If you connect the player directly to the TV and set PCM output on the player, it should not pass DTS to the soundbar, DTS should only be passed via Auto. If the player is still passing DTS when you have it set to PCM then that's an issue with the player.

KBD

Uh-Oh, I just tried again, PCM out direct to soundbar & yes, it's PCM, not DTS.
I did so many experiments today, but I think I finally got it sorted.

YAS-108_indicators.jpg

This^ is the bit about the indicators for my soundbar.
When they went dark for the first two, I mistakenly thought that was not the expected outcome, but now I realize that is exactly what I should be getting when the Sony player is set to PCM. DOH!

Something is weird however, because I started looking at the specs for the soundbar & in the manual it claims it can pass UHD video in HDR. So I plugged it back up:
Sony player > Soundbar > CX

the screen is now 2160p, as it should be, but I'm now scratching my head why it was 1080p earlier today. Maybe I had a dodgy HDMI cable plugged in

IF it's working in UHD like this, I suppose I can set the Audio out on the player back to Auto.

I'm sorry for wasting folks' time with my misunderstanding of the indicators on my own soundbar.

Dodgexander

Uh-Oh, I just tried again, PCM out direct to soundbar & yes, it's PCM, not DTS.
I did so many experiments today, but I think I finally got it sorted.

View attachment 1554127
This^ is the bit about the indicators for my soundbar.
When they went dark for the first two, I mistakenly thought that was not the expected outcome, but now I realize that is exactly what I should be getting when the Sony player is set to PCM. DOH!

Something is weird however, because I started looking at the specs for the soundbar & in the manual it claims it can pass UHD video in HDR. So I plugged it back up:
Sony player > Soundbar > CX

the screen is now 2160p, as it should be, but I'm now scratching my head why it was 1080p earlier today. Maybe I had a dodgy HDMI cable plugged in

IF it's working in UHD like this, I suppose I can set the Audio out on the player back to Auto.

I'm sorry for wasting folks' time with my misunderstanding of the indicators on my own soundbar.
No, not wasting my time. I'm glad you've got it working.
Manufacturers are very ambigious with HDMI specs but from reading the spec sheet for the YAS-108 it seems the soundbar is HDMI 2.0 which means it should be able to pass everything, even HDR fine.

You'll have to experiment with Dolby Vision, as its possible it won't pass that kind of HDR if Yamaha didn't enable it.

eARC may even be bolted on to some HDMI 2.0 chipsets, and if Yamaha updated the soundbar to use it then you should be able to pass even 5.1 LPCM to the TV rather than only 2.0. If you are still only getting 2.0 LPCM it may be worth asking them if they have an update to support eARC.

The reason you may have had the 1080p problem before could be related to a setting on the TV. Make sure you have the HDMI port setting: "HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color mode" which is LGs way of telling the HDMI port to act as HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 instead of 1.4.

Anyway, I'm digressing from the point. There's nothing gained if you can plug in your Blu-Ray directly to the soundbar, that is still the prefered way of setting everything up and will have less audio delay than running it through the TV.

KBD

I uncovered a secret Compressor setting on the YAS-108. It's in the manual for the 109, but not the 108. When I hit the corresponding buttons, there is an indication that Compression is being manipulated, so tomorrow is testing time with some loud advertising segments.

I'll have to test that HDR is working too, but that will be easy, the screen displays a large HDR 'flower' in the top right when it's first enabled.

Ace Of Wands

If I buy a CX, and plug that into my Amp, and connect a blu ray player to my Amp, DTS will work fine like that right?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Yeah.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom