how good is the LG CX

bazza92

Sadly the xf9005 met its demise last week, so have been given some currys vouchers to spend on a tv instead.

quite a lot of choice out there, and thinking of maybe OLED now.

How does this tv look: OLED55CX5LB

Ive heard it might be difficult to wall mount due to the thick bottom rear. How true is this?

Will be in the gaming room, used mainly for PS5. Will need to have wide viewing angles, assuming OLED ticks this box?

Anything else worth considering at the £1.1k price point?

Is it much of a step up from the XF9005?

tvdavid

XH95 is if you can find but the CX is defo a little better PQ-wise.

Dodgexander

and

Certainly the CX is a top option.

yba_us

Thanks pulled the trigger on the CX. Now to source another tv for paw patrol and peppa pig content…
The best tv, I have ever owned, and I had many. It is just a joy to watch, at any time of the day. All my friends, family, even strangers happen to come to my home, are amazed of the picture quality, and the appearance of this beauty. Highly reccomended, from my heart. Go for it. :)

Attachments

• viber_image_2021-07-24_12-48-47-773.jpg
    viber_image_2021-07-24_12-48-47-773.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 216

bazza92

The best tv, I have ever owned, and I had many. It is just a joy to watch, at any time of the day. All my friends, family, even strangers happen to come to my home, are amazed of the picture quality, and the appearance of this beauty. Highly reccomended, from my heart. Go for it. :)

Arrives Friday - can't wait! do you know if there are settings for optimizing the TV? or does it work well out of the box?

yba_us

Arrives Friday - can't wait! do you know if there are settings for optimizing the TV? or does it work well out of the box?
Just turn it on. Let's the tv do the necessary updates. My advice, do not change a beautiful woman, because she is perfect already... :) It's fantastic, out of the box.
I don't care about the YouTube reviewers, so I use the way I like it.
I suggest to do the same. At the end of the way, it's just a tv, but one of the best so just enjoy it. In case you wouldn't be happy, just ask the videophile community. They will help you out. I'm just enjoying my tv. You know how they say. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)👍🤙

Bendix

Just turn it on. Let's the tv do the necessary updates. My advice, do not change a beautiful woman, because she is perfect already... :) It's fantastic, out of the box.
I don't care about the YouTube reviewers, so I use the way I like it.
I suggest to do the same. At the end of the way, it's just a tv, but one of the best so just enjoy it. In case you wouldn't be happy, just ask the videophile community. They will help you out. I'm just enjoying my tv. You know how they say. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... :)👍🤙
So you have ECO enabled? That makes the TV look very dull.

To OP make sure to read on suggested settings otherwise you would display a premium TV with a low end effort.

I goof start would be to disable ECO and activate ISF bright/night and some tweeks from that.

KBD

I really love mine, as I was reading up on it, all those little Ah-Ha moments were good ones, until today when I found it it will NOT pass through a DTS signal. I found a workaround, but it had me upset there for a bit. I'm not still not happy that 'pass-through' isn't really pass-through.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Poor research on your part then, as it was a known issue before the tv was released.

Don Rogers Tash

I can only speak from personal experience and someone who has come from a wonderful Panasonic plasma 3D tv - it's terrific.
Especially at the price now.

KBD

Poor research on your part
Wow, nice one!
I walked into our local Crutchfield & into their scratch & dent room. It's where they keep the clearance items. It was side-by-side with another LG with NanoCell screen.
The OLED won, so I asked a few questions, got a look at the inputs on the back, paid for it, & off we went.
So far my research had turned up nothing but good surprises, like the fact that it's compatible with the nVidia card in my PC.
Only yesterday was the first surprise that wasn't pleasant.
IF I research & research, which I had, I go into analysis paralysis & I'd never buy anything.

Dodgexander

I really love mine, as I was reading up on it, all those little Ah-Ha moments were good ones, until today when I found it it will NOT pass through a DTS signal. I found a workaround, but it had me upset there for a bit. I'm not still not happy that 'pass-through' isn't really pass-through.
They cheaped out on the DTS license so they can't handle the audio at all. Started doing it in 2020. Other manufacturers have done it for longer, Samsung stopped support in 2017 I think, Panasonic have never supported DTS audio.

Thankfully a lot of source devices support the decoding themselves, so you can pass LPCM instead, you don't lose any quality either way.

KBD

I wish LG would allow LPCM to pass through their eARc, but alas, it's not so on the CX OLED.

Dodgexander

I wish LG would allow LPCM to pass through their eARc, but alas, it's not so on the CX OLED.
Should support it, part of the HDMI spec. You may have to select the bitstream option as output.

Its possible the problem is with your receiver, so many problems are related to the end of the chain, sadly.

Dodgexander

It's not the soundbar, it can receive DTS, but LG-CX will just not pass it through. I've tried various setting for Audio on the UBP-X700 since this experiment yesterday.
I had a look at your post history to find your soundbar model: Yamaha YAS-108. This is ARC only soundbar which means you can't pass LPCM to it.
If you changed to a soundbar that supported eARC you could set your Blu-Ray player to output PCM and the TV will pass that audio to your soundbar. This way the player will decode DTS itself, before it even reaches the TV, and the TV will pass that decoded DTS to the soundbar.

At the moment, you will only be able to pass DTS audio as stereo. Its not a big deal sending the soundbar stereo anyway since its just a soundbar and doesn't have rear channels, or even dedicated woofers for the surround signal.

Other thing you could do if you upgrade your soundbar is upgrade to a model with eARC with HDMI inputs, that way you can bypass the TV completely, and plug your sources directly in to the soundbar (same as you can now, except with the addition of HDR being passed correctly to the TV).

KBD

There's mention of a petition to get LG to support LPCM pass-through in the CX owner's thread.
I might purchase a YAS-109 later today so that I can pass the UHD video through the soundbar & to the TV.
I'd rather a 5.1 surround-sound bar, but they're all too tall & I'm having a brain-fart trying to figure out how to elevate the TV w/o needing power-tools or having it look really dodgy.

KBD

doesn't have rear channels, or even dedicated woofers for the surround signal.
It does, & it's why I bought it, the bass response is very good for a soundbar w/o a separate sub.
The "sub" in the YAS-108 are in channels in the ends of it. I think Yamaha call them waveguides.

Dodgexander

There's mention of a petition to get LG to support LPCM pass-through in the CX owner's thread.
I might purchase a YAS-109 later today so that I can pass the UHD video through the soundbar & to the TV.
I'd rather a 5.1 surround-sound bar, but they're all too tall & I'm having a brain-fart trying to figure out how to elevate the TV w/o needing power-tools or having it look really dodgy.
Did you see the thread I linked? Someone has LPCM passthrough working fine with the CX.
The YAS-108 doesn't support 5.1 LPCM because it doesn't have eARC. ARC is limited to 2.0 LPCM. With a soundbar that uses eARC LPCM passthrough will work ok.

About the only benefit you'll really get from 5.1 with soundbars like this is the .1 for the separate bass channel. I don't think there's a center channel even. Just left and right. So you don't really lose much having 2ch sent rather than 5.1 compared to a full 5.1 system. And even then, the bass will be mixed into 2ch anyway in most titles. That's why many titles come with also a stereo soundtrack.

KBD

I noticed one person commented they had 3 CXs & only one of them passed through correctly.
I was sure it was a LG issue, but now I suppose it is my soundbar not being eARC compatible.
The YAS-109 would solve the problem by hook or by crook, because if I can't get LPCM to pass through the CX I can pass UHD video through the YAS-109.

What I can't figure out is why I can get DTS direct to the bar & IF the CX is passing through, it doesn't come out as DTS. Is it because of the 'handshake' between the soundbar & the TV that's causing it to drop the signal to Dolby stereo?

I messed around with various settings today, turning DTS6 off on the Sony player, Auto vs. pass-through on the TV.

I tried the LG SN9YG (5.1.2) for a weekend & to be honest I couldn't hear a big difference over my old YAS-101, & the YAS-101 had that compressor (Uni-Volume). The SN9YG bass was actually TOO loud, so I grabbed that YAS-108 from the clearance section.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 22nd September 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative introduces Sound Blaster Katana V2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier