How good is the iScan Ultra?

Dimmy

Ex Member
Reaction score
Thinking about picking one up, but basically, can't get a demo of it in use.

So, for those who've owned or seen it, how good is it?

TIA

Dimmy :)

i have one and find that its better at deinterlasing than the inturnal one on my plasma , and the chroma bug correction is good too.

does add a slight delay though,

hope that helps

Thanks jmack.

I'd also be interested to hear from anybody who's used it with a projector for scaling.

The Ultra isn't really a scaler, it's primarily a line doubler/deinterlacer.
It only outputs 480p/576p (depending on NTSC/PAL input). It's only scaling capablitys are slight readjustment of the output aspect ratio to compensate for monitors that lock into 16.9 when fed a progressive input. A scaler generally has the ability to output different scan rates, the ideal being to match the scalers output with the monitors golden scan rate.

basically is the iscan ultra better than a mid range progressive scan dvd player? I am thinking of getting rid of my Denon and getting a interlaced player, lol probably my 656 again, and just use it with an iscan ultra
cheers
fred

Fred - why?

or keep my denon if hayden labs can update it, i also want my sky and playstation singals to be be de-interlaced as well as other stuff. Also i want to use the dvi input on my pj for everything.
cheers
fred

So, fred, if you buy an iScan ultra you'll have invested - what - £1800 in your image and processing?

Could've bought a h56 for a little more and gotten far better PQ into the bargain... :rolleyes:

i haven't made up my mind dimmy, i am going to an audio visual show in feb so i will see what i like. If i can see rainbows on the high end models i won't even consider a lowend dlp like the h56.
The problem i have is that if i go into sevenoaks they don't take me seriously, they don't even bother to give me a proper demo. It is bloody frustrating as shows are the only place where i can see and hear high end equipment and compare, and even then it is hard
fred

You're not actually allowed into the store fred, strictly speaking, if you don't pass for 18 and are without a 'responsible adult' (sevenoaks, I mean) :laugh:. Store Policy & all...

You won't see rainbows on higher-end DLP projectors. You almost certainately won't see them on the H56 either. But good luck with demoing everything.

But then again i might be staying put in my room for a year or so so i might spend about 700 quid on Auralex treatment and installation and professional calibration of my equipment.
This seems a much better alternative, where i get the most from what i have atm.
cheers
fred

I'm doing the same mate. looks like I'll be spending a mammoth amount of cash sorting my room out.

it is definately the best investment, especially since my room is fairly 'compact' compared to the average home cinema.
No matter what equipment i get it will never let it perform to its best until my room is sorted out, one of the things in particular is my subwoofer, my room really is not a sub friendly room. I am sure once i get it professionally sorted it will be great.
Although it is £700 afterall, probably will be a bit more, and maybe i should do it once i get my 'complete' system, it will probably be one of the best investments i make. It all depends if we move in the near future or not.
cheers
fred

it is definately the best investment, especially since my room is fairly 'compact' compared to the average home cinema.
No matter what equipment i get it will never let it perform to its best until my room is sorted out, one of the things in particular is my subwoofer, my room really is not a sub friendly room. I am sure once i get it professionally sorted it will be great.
Although it is £700 afterall, probably will be a bit more, and maybe i should do it once i get my 'complete' system, it will probably be one of the best investments i make. It all depends if we move in the near future or not.
cheers
fred

Yes - my own room loves to exagerate treble.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom