1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the HS2 as a dvd player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CLH, Mar 20, 2003.

1. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    AS compared to say my Sony DVPNS905?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I still use my tosh 210 as a playback machine, as I get a better picture through the component connection on purchased dvd's. I even use it to play back all the dvd-r I have burnt in the hs2, but cant tell any difference in quality.

Its not just the quality, its the convenience as the tosh is much easier to just use for the kids and the technically challenged.

I would think that you are better with a quality dedicated playback machine, as the hs2 is optimised to record and playback at its record quality, which to me always looks a little washed out and lacking in colour. Streets ahead of a vhs machine though.

3. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks mate, no component so it'll have to be RGB. Decent enough??

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I thought RGB was supposed to be slightly superior to component? :confused:

It's slightly accademic for me anyway as I don't have component inputs on my TV.

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Some people think so but the consensus of opinion is that a component connnection is the best one to use if you have it available. Anyway my dvd recorder is connected to a non rgb scart in my set -up as the digibox uses the rgb one, and there are significant problems with trrying to pass the input through the recorder.

1) If you set the digibox input on the recorder as decoder, you can not record from any analogue source through its tuner.

2) If you set the input on the hs2 to rgb enabled from the digibox, then press the tv button on the sky remote to change channnel on the tv, the digibox stops sending an rgb signal and sends a video signal instead. This results in a recording with sound and no picture, as the input does not automatically change as the tv one does.

Consequently for reliability in recording I have the rgb out from the digibox straight to the tv, the secong out to the recorder and that itself connected to a non rgb scart on the tv. This means I am recording the slightly inferior video signal, but I can not really see any difference when switching between them. The tosh dvd player is connected via component to get the best quality playback from commercial dvd's.

6. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like I'm alright there then. I only use Sky anyway and have no terrestrial source at all.

I'll be using Sky+ for all recording and occasionally will dump volume to the HDD and then push over to the recorder.