How good is the Elonex Artisan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon
Forgive my basic questions and perhaps off topic ..
Text on my crt 32in philips TV from my PC by pcsender from a 9800 prophet is dire using something like meedio remote ..
I really need to move large files to and from pc to artisan and back easily ...
do I need a xga tv...ie a lcd 37in or xde435 for clarity?
does media centre contain the software to allow say video conferncing thru from broadband pc via wired port presumably 100/100 ethernet in the artisan and then on to tv?
Looking at 2 you see one for either end of the tcpip link over 2mbit bband ..

thks
Peter

jonsayers said:
All units will be Piano black.

Good news (for me at least), thanks very much for the information, I must say it is refreshing to have such an informed, enthusiastic insider willing to help and share. I was also impressed with the quality of the people I spoke to on the telephone.

One further point, if you determine that the modem can in fact enable media centre to obtain the CLI and perform a lookup ... would it be possible to ask for the addition of the modem without losing one's place in the queue? Cheers.

Regards,
Francis.

MattTheBeanster said:
A big thanks Jon.

Just gotta keep calm for 3 weeks now.

Can't! I'm also trying to co-ordinate the arrival of a Samsung SP50L7HX and the Elonex. I don't really want either of them to get lonely :)
Cheers.

Regards,
Francis.

Hi, another question or 2 here and i know you'll be flat-out at work so don't feel you have to rush to answer me.
I'm about to send for a Sagem HD45 in about a month or so and 'was' planning on doing a self build but your system looks great and i'm a lazy git so would prefer you's to do the work. :D
1. Is the receiver for the RC internal?
2. Can you post some pics of the front of the unit (turned on) and another with the drawer open & a close up of the remote?
3. I know this is along way off but, is the dvd drive a regular 5.25" as i'll probably buy a blue-ray drive in the future to get the best out of my high def tv?
4. I see from the pictures you already posted that case is quite packed, is the system prone to overheating?
Thanks alot, cheers

the recievers for the keyboard and mouse are internal.

agreed, it fits in most cabinets (my home one from argos) included. But yes it is deeper than others, when you consider the features inside and the upgradability compared with other boxes I think it's worth it.

BryanKitts said:
By the way, Jon, thanks for posting a picture of the Artisan's guts. One of the few negative factors (at least, for me) is how deep the Artisan's box is compared to some of the competition, so it's some consolation to see that it's not due to wasted space inside.

Hi,

Unfortunately the reciver isn't built in any more, we found the range not good enough (as your putting a transmitter inside a metal box) and felt that we had to change to external otherwise we would get complaints on reception. It's only a small reciever and is on a cable so it won't add any extra depth to the machine. I personally think it's worth it to avoid any problems with the keyboard.

Hi,

2. I'll try and get some pictures. The two demo units I have here are with T3 Magazine and Stuff. I'll try and build up the other one.

3. Drive is a normal 5 1/4 drive yes, so you can fit anything you like in the future.

4. Nope, i've never had one crash in all the time I've had it (from the first sample ages ago) It's been very well designed for thermals. You should see the heatsink, it really is a work of art!

stevomacca said:
Hi, another question or 2 here and i know you'll be flat-out at work so don't feel you have to rush to answer me.
I'm about to send for a Sagem HD45 in about a month or so and 'was' planning on doing a self build but your system looks great and i'm a lazy git so would prefer you's to do the work. :D
1. Is the receiver for the RC internal?
2. Can you post some pics of the front of the unit (turned on) and another with the drawer open & a close up of the remote?
3. I know this is along way off but, is the dvd drive a regular 5.25" as i'll probably buy a blue-ray drive in the future to get the best out of my high def tv?
4. I see from the pictures you already posted that case is quite packed, is the system prone to overheating?
Thanks alot, cheers

:blush:

I've just passed a machine to my colleague to test now. (He used to work for Microsoft on the Media Center team!)

Will report back shortly.

itsfja said:
Good news (for me at least), thanks very much for the information, I must say it is refreshing to have such an informed, enthusiastic insider willing to help and share. I was also impressed with the quality of the people I spoke to on the telephone.

One further point, if you determine that the modem can in fact enable media centre to obtain the CLI and perform a lookup ... would it be possible to ask for the addition of the modem without losing one's place in the queue? Cheers.

Regards,
Francis.

Goods news. i have the shipping document so the chassis will be here monday! (once they clear customs)

Might want to have a look here! Its a plugin with advanced caller id functions than the standard MCE 2005 alerts!

http://***********/6zjwa

Jon, if your modem doesnt work then I have read other people who have had the same problem and these 2 modems work

http://***********/6ppuv
http://***********/6ecqr

Hi jon,

Thanks for all the inside information, photos and support you've been providing to this thread - truly appreciated! Reflects very well on Elonex - as does the revised website - much better!

I was a little concerned at your mention that the reciever is now going to be made external.Is it the reciever for the keyboard or the remote control?

I appreciate that this ensures that it has better reception, but I'd be really interested to see what this reciever and cable looks like - the fact that all recievers were internal was a real selling point for me when I made my order.

Finally - any info on when my order might come through would bre greatly appreciated! - FAL0121500

Thanks again

Hi Jon, If the chassis arrive Monday any idea when we will be issued with ETA's?

Curently I would swap my wife for my Media Center if that would help it get further up the list.

How do we find out if we are in the first batch as I understand it is a limited delivery?

Regards,

Jonathan

Hi, It's just the keyboard reciever. The Remote Control one is built in so no problem there. It's only small and not the annoying dongle ones either. I'll take a pic and post it up.

robski said:
Hi jon,

Thanks for all the inside information, photos and support you've been providing to this thread - truly appreciated! Reflects very well on Elonex - as does the revised website - much better!

I was a little concerned at your mention that the reciever is now going to be made external.Is it the reciever for the keyboard or the remote control?

I appreciate that this ensures that it has better reception, but I'd be really interested to see what this reciever and cable looks like - the fact that all recievers were internal was a real selling point for me when I made my order.

Finally - any info on when my order might come through would bre greatly appreciated! - FAL0121500

Thanks again

Not 100% sure. I'll have a chat with the sales/production people.

Jonnyboy said:
Hi Jon, If the chassis arrive Monday any idea when we will be issued with ETA's?

Curently I would swap my wife for my Media Center if that would help it get further up the list.

How do we find out if we are in the first batch as I understand it is a limited delivery?

Regards,

Jonathan

jonsayers said:
Hi,

2. I'll try and get some pictures. The two demo units I have here are with T3 Magazine and Stuff. I'll try and build up the other one.

T3 magazine you say, superb, any idea if it'll be in the March issue?
If they say it's good then i'm even more so sold!

I think i'll get one anyway once i see some more pics. (A close-up of the system in a full set-up and maybe a photo of the tv involved with the htpc on would be great aswell.

When are the rc receivers going external, is there any chance of getting one with an internal receiver? (even if it doesn't work so great)

What are the captures like of the likes of sky?

jonsayers said:
Not 100% sure. I'll have a chat with the sales/production people.

I must admit I'm quite doubtful you guys will deliver in the 2-3 weeks promised(sorry).

I ordered wednesday last week, 2 weeks from that is next wednesday. You don't take delivery of the empty boxes until monday.

I suppose there's a chance you will make the 3 week promise. But it sounds like you've got a lot of these to put together.

It would be good to get a proper ETA.

I'm sure you'll be pleasently suprised. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy said:
I must admit I'm quite doubtful you guys will deliver in the 2-3 weeks promised(sorry).

I ordered wednesday last week, 2 weeks from that is next wednesday. You don't take delivery of the empty boxes until monday.

I suppose there's a chance you will make the 3 week promise. But it sounds like you've got a lot of these to put together.

It would be good to get a proper ETA.

Hi,

I think they are working on May Issue at the moment. Out End of March I presume.

I'm hoping to get the photographer in to get some more shots if I do then I'll post them. My cheap digital camera doesnt' do it much justice!

stevomacca said:
T3 magazine you say, superb, any idea if it'll be in the March issue?
If they say it's good then i'm even more so sold!

I think i'll get one anyway once i see some more pics. (A close-up of the system in a full set-up and maybe a photo of the tv involved with the htpc on would be great aswell.

When are the rc receivers going external, is there any chance of getting one with an internal receiver? (even if it doesn't work so great)

What are the captures like of the likes of sky?

Jon, how are you getting on with the modem, testing it for caller id compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom