How good is the Azure 540R V2 really?

philaitman

Novice Member
Can any real world users comment on how they find this reciever.
I'm particularly interested in anyoen who upgraded from an older reciever as I want to upgrade my aging Yamaha HTR5540.

I never use the silly processing modes on the Yam and listen to a fair bit of music. And the fixed Sub crossover is pants.

Speakers are Mordaunt Short premier.
I've read the reviews but like to hear from real users.

munkyboy04

Standard Member
yep Its good. ive had it for about 8months and upgraded from a dodgy old yamaha. I couldnt belive the difference. Once its set up which takes a while of fiddling and experimentation, the instruction book is useless. But if your like me you wont mind messing around with such things. but once set up Its ace.

Dvds play brilliantly through the 5.1/6.1 never dissapointed yet. the dolby pl2 is good I'd never used it before and makes TV sound much better than just stereo. And it Handles stero audio brilliantly.

What DVD player are you gonna be using? I recomend using the dvd player as well. It sounds better. I ugraded within a couple of month well worth the money.

Let us know if you get it, or want any advice

Sloper59

Novice Member
I bought one just last Sunday to replace my faulty Marantz PM55SE stereo amp. I wasn't sure if it would be an upgrade or a sideways move.

My initial impressions are that it is more detailed musically, with firmer and more controlled, but possibly slightly less bass. I'm getting a sub to handle that dept. though. I think if the 540R meets your budget requirements, you won't be disappointed. I don't regret my purchase at all :thumbsup:

fristil

Novice Member
Had mine for a few weeks now and it's a huge upgrade from my old H/K AVR500 music- and power- wise :thumbsup: hard to find anything that beats this in this price range! If you have bigger budget you might look into the new NAD T544/554 or wait till Jan for Cambridge 640R and that will be a killer for around $599

Cheers,
Mike

Gregoo

Hi.The 540 V2 at £270 is a little cracker.It is smaller than a lot of other receivers,so it wont dominate the AV space it sits in.(To me a good thing as my wife does not like big boxes).Setting up is easy using the on screen menu's,try to use a sound meter for calibration,if not just trust your ears to get it right.As for the sound its very good, there is lots of detail and the surround effects are most convincing with excellent panning effects all round.
The remote needs a bit of prodding at times but other wise its very functional.
All the best Greg..

Hudsy

Standard Member
Had mine for a few weeks now and it's a huge upgrade from my old H/K AVR500 music- and power- wise :thumbsup: hard to find anything that beats this in this price range! If you have bigger budget you might look into the new NAD T544/554 or wait till Jan for Cambridge 640R and that will be a killer for around $599

Cheers,
Mike
Just out of curiosity, where can you find a 640R for $599? I am looking at getting a 540 for a 640 for $599 is well worth it!

Thanks

Dave

philaitman

Novice Member
Well I purchased the 540R yesterday and it sounds superb. The Clarity is a huge leap from the Yamaha.
A quick test with the opening scenes of Gladiator in DTS was very good, revealing clear separation between the score and the cacophony of battle, There was bits of score in there I never know existed.

Stereo from CD is just excellent.

Radio wasn't a reason for the upgrade, but WOW :thumbsup: it sounds so full of life and dynamic.
Very happy CA user now. Also a nod to the build quality which is superb. It puts the naff plastic of the Yamaha to shame :D
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom