1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is sound quality on new LCD's

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by clash33, Jun 2, 2005.

1. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do I really need to invest in 5.1-surround sound to get the best from the new LCD's or are they awesome out of the box. I hate the thought of all those speakers and wires.

I run my current TV/DVD through stereo speakers and like the results.(neat)

Do you all have home cinema set ups or can the out of the box set up do the business?

I'm thinking new Phillips when on sale. :confused:

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You can't beat decent surround sound! It really does add a massive amount to movie watching. And if you've got Sky+, you can get Dolby Digital from that too.

You can get some pretty small sub/sat systems that won't be too intrusive to your room, and with a bit of care, the cabling can be pretty invisible too. Or you could go for a wireless speaker kit!

To me at least, decent surround sound is just as important as a decent picture.

matt

3. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've never bothered with my TV's built in speakers. Not only movies, but also day to day viewing is much enhanced with a half decent surround set-up. And, IME most of my friends who've moved over to surround sound can't listen to tv speakers anymore. If you look around there are some real bargains to be had.

Steve

4. Craigc

Craigc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Hitachi 32LD7200 has excellent sound quality, was quite surprised really

5. jw250

jw250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    If you don't like the idea of having multiple speakers and all that cabling then have a look at the KEF KIT100 Instant Theatre system. They are quite expensive, but the DVD picture quality (progressive scan) and sound quality are excellent given that there are only 2 speakers and a subwoofer. I've installed a couple for clients and they always impress me. Good for music too.

http://www.kefinstanttheatre.com/kefinstant.html

And to support whats been said on this thread already, a good sound system makes a huge difference to the viewing experience. Most flat screens that I install have OK sound at best, certainly not as good as a decent, large CRT due to the limited cabinet space so you invariably lose loads of bass with flat screens. LCD's seem to be the worst unless you go for a top of the range Sharp (LC45GD1E Titanium springs to mind as being pretty good). If the KEF is out of your range then there are so many decent packages around. I don't think you'll regret investing in one.

6. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thoughts; what you say about the cabinet space makes sense. Looks like I will need to look for something that will handle DVD and CD with one set of surround speakers. When looking at screen reviews I don't think I should pay much attention to what they rate the SQ at just the PQ.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've just replied to your identical question on another thread! This thread has progressed further and as everybody has said, a suround package is just about essential with a good quality screen.

I have the Denon DHT500 system which has lovely small satellite speakers and a fantastic BIG cinema experience. The speakers can be placed in such a way that it is quite hard to even see them, and, with a bit of care, the wiring can be made to disappear entirely.....Superb Progressive DVD player too. (Good value)

Also have a dig for the new Yamaha multi speaker contraption that just requires one speaker block and seems to work very well. Not cheap.

Jimmy

8. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about the double posting :oops:

I must admit I have looked at the DENON. Nice. But can it handle CD? :confused:

Like I said, I have the TV/DVD running through a Stereo system which sounds Good for Music and Nice for DVD Films. Will the music still sound good with Surround sound set up?

9. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've got a Denon AVR-1905 surround receiver with a wharfedale diamond 9 speaker set, and CDs sound great. Denon seem to have a good reputation for making their kit sound great with music as well as movies.

10. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Ive got an Hitachi 32LD7200, and I haven't even listened to it's speakers yet. I bought a Yamaha YSP-1, which uses digital sound projection to bounce sound off of walls giving a surround effect. The quality of audio on familiar tv programs has really surprised me, I just didn't think the sound they are recorded with would be that good. Combined with a sub woofer, it's really made a huge difference to my viewing experience.

11. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I like sound :D of that. Will try and find a demo to listen too. I note in the reviews that people have good things to say about wharfedale diamond 9 speakers, My only worry is the size. The small Denon speaker may have the edge on that.

12. stevej

stevej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can it ever! At first I wasn't too sure, but with the correct settings it does a grand job...

Jimmy

14. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Clash33

If you need any info on the Canton's feel free to pm me

regards

JJ

15. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking at the DENON D-M51DVS It looks like it could be the very thing I am looking for (DVD Surround with 2.1 Speaker system) At a price of £395. Has anyone got this set up and if so does it cut the mustard?

16. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the all in one package may be simpler - but if you really want quality surround sound i would suggest you look at seperates - nobody makes good everything hence why i suggest this solution

amp from company A

dvd/cd player company B

sub woofer company C

surround speakers company D

harder to put together but the end result will justify your selections 1000 times over :D