How good is new arcam products

potshot

Prominent Member
Reaction score
How good are new arcam amps against the alpha 9 and 10. I noticed the price of arcam products have gone up by large amounts since new ranges have been added. I consider the alpha 9 amp very good and I am wondering whether the new products are worth the money, what improvements you get for all the extra cash. I am looking at getting another p9 amp for my home cinema set up to bi-amp my front speakers when using stereo to play music. How good are the fmj range and the 33 range. I have seen I can get an ex-demo p7 for £1700 and want to know is worth spending that amount of money over buying another alpha p9 for a couple hundred pounds.

Hi potshot

This was a difficult one for me as well. I upgraded through the alpha range from an alpha 7 all the way up to to a multichannel system based around an Alpha 10/10P/10P3. I recently went the final step and replaced the Alpha 10s with an FMJ P7 (plus a DivaP85 so I could biamp the front channels).

I have to agree with you about the alpha 9, the 9/9P combination for stereo was my favourite of the alpha range considering the sound it offered for the money. And a multichannel set up set based around a 9 with a combination of 9Ps/10Ps will give you fantastic stereo and surround sound, which I really enjoyed when I had a similar set up.

How do the alphas compare with recent Arcam amps ? I'm not sure how the Diva 85/90s compare with the alpha 9 and 10, but from my own experience the FMJ P7 in stereo (bi-amping the front channels) does offer extra over the alpha 10/10P biamped combination. In particular the bass is tighter and faster on the P7 than the alpha 10/10p, which I found at times to be a little bit sluggish. Overall the P7 is more exciting to listen to (which of course you may not necessarily want) and offers a cleaner sound though probably less warm than the alpha 10s. For me the P7 is a "better" power amp than a combination of alpha 10s, but how many £s better I couldn't meaningfully say. If you can get a P7 for £1700 I don't think you would regret it. I would go for it, but even if you don't you'll still have a great sounding system. Hope this helps.

Ryland

Grab the P7 at that price :) bargain...

where can i buy 1 @ that price..?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom