1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is my meridian 565 against anything around £1000

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by schillaci0, Feb 7, 2005.

1. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have had my 565 for sale on the forums but am wondering how good are the current crop of processors for around £1k or will ihave to up the budget to get gains, not sure if i should sell.

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Your 565 is pretty good, what new processors are you looking at though??

I would personally go for a 568 if you can, and if you can stretch a little further a 568.2 and stick the v2.5 firmware on it. in my humble opinion it is still the best processor under £5k. I sold mine and bought a Lexicon MC8, but sold it on and replaced it with another 568.2.
    As you are using the 565 you can obvioulsy live with the basic inputs of the Meridian gear and you obviously like the smooth sound of M gear.

3. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am possibly looking at the rotel 1068, linn exotik or maybe even a naim av2 what do you think, or would a secondhand tag,568 any other be a better bet,good 2ch is a must. Just to add i am going to active speakers something like the blue skys i think.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Do you like the sound of the Meridian??
    If you do the Naim is completely different, very pacey and lively, great in the dem room but I certainly could not live with one for more than a night or so.

If you want good 2 channel then I think you need to look at proceed, bryston and meridian, there are others but getting pricey.
    The Bryston sp1.7 has a superb analogue bypass but again may be over budget, and a few people who I know who have had them after Meridian have gone back to Meridian again.

The Tag stuff is, imho, truly awful when it comes to music (and don't rate it for films much either) and that is the dual processor version I am talking about, to me it sounds like nails down a blackboard. I would have loved the Tag to have sounded good, as it will scale etc. all in one box, but unfortunately I hated it.

I have not heard the Rotel so can't comment on it, but thought it is around a grand new? I would rather buy used and get a little more.

The 568.2 is a hell of a jump from your 565, smoother, more detailed, more dynamic and alot more airy and spacious.
    To me the processor is the most important bit in the system, I think this will give you the overall sound you here, the Kefs you have can sound very harsh or very smooth depending on what you match them with.
    Can you not listen to a few bits?

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Just noticed the bit about actives.
    Is there a particular reason for this?

I would take your 2205 and Kefs over the blueskys everytime.

6. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think you may have mixed up the threads as i dont have kefs, icurrently have a roksan caspian 5ch and monitor audio monitor 3 floorstanders and centre and are going to upgrade so was looking at actives.

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    That will teach me to pay more attention.

I can see the benefit with some actives, like the ATC and Genelecs with music, but from what I have heard if music is important to you the Blueskys may not be the best bet.
    I would be interested to hear some more opinions from people who have used them in a music system.

I think it comes down to the same thing as always, try and demo some of this stuff if at all possible.
    There are speakers out there like the Quad L range that are truly stunning for movies and music.
    I tried a pair of 11L's on my 568, and Parasound I think it was at the time, and they were unbelievable, they completely filled the room with a lovely detailed, open, dynamic and fast sound, but always stayed really nice and warm. One of the best speakers under a grand I have ever heard, and they are what? £350?
    If you like the Meridian sound on music, you should check these out.

8. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Others will argue fiercely, but I demoed the Blue Sky actives for a week and really didn't like them one bit.

My ATC actives are just in a totally different class. Far superior.

As Gizlaroc said, you need to really use quality speakers with the sort of processor you're looking at.

I've heard Genelecs and can vouch that they are also superb. There are many others which a search on the forums will throw up.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611

Yeah those that bought them without spending any time with them first. :)

Great speakers for films, but really need to be listended to before you decide if you are going to be listening to music with them.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Active speakers in a music system.....I've used active Linns over several years,and Meridians also(the old M3s),with the last Linn system being a triamped Keltik system and Krell amps.....having used Linns in both passive and active setups,there really isnt any competition between the two,with the attack,control,and dynamic range being far superior in active form.

The Keltiks were a huge step forward again,but required huge amounts of power(eventually in excess of 400+W per channel),but really were superb speakers.....in the right room(which our current house really doesnt have),the bass extension and general speed were superb.

I'd recommend actives very highly,but be very careful over your choice....ATC,Linn,Meridian are all very well designed and executed examples,although I have no experience of Genelecs etc.

11. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i think we have veered off the original question, i wil look at the active situation later but to ask a question are the quads good and what amplification would be recommened.

12. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, 565 v Rotel 1068.

I had a Rotel 1066 sold it cos needed the money.
    Then when i got some money got a 565 and 562v3. Lasted one month, then sold them to get a Rotel 1068.
    Sorry, I know the Meridian kit cost a fortune in its day. BUT "in it's day" means a lot the processors inside just aren't as good in my opinion as what you get inside a 1068. The mereidian is still a nice stereo orientated pre.

But for movies it is just not in the same league as the 1068.

Trifield on the Meridian is intersting but frankly i prefer stereo sources in stereo. :)

So straight forward fight in my opinion 1068 anyday over the Meridian 565.

Steff

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    There you go, someone who has gone from a 565 to a 1068.

The quads are very good, they can be driven with moderate amplification, but they will also show the difference between very expensive bits of kit too.
    The would not be out of place in a very top end system imo.

You must be able to hear a pair of these somewhere?

14. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    How about s/h 1098? this is an excellant processor for movies(has been compared to the Krell Showcase) & makes a decent fist with music,if a little smooth....but you might like that.

Dan :)

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    Compared to the Krell Showcase? How did it fare? Anyone know how the 1098 stacks up vs the likes of the Meridian 568.2, G68, Arcam AV8 etc?

16. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I've just sold my 565 and gone onto a Lexicon MC-1. After a few weeks of owning both I had plenty time to compare one to the other and in the end (well for me anyway) the choice was easy. Compared to the 565 for movies (which is all I'm interested in) it wins over the 565 in every department. Placement is bang on and the steering of the effects is just superb (and the 565 is no slouch). A lot of people mention Lexicon owners and how they bang on about Logic7. Well they bang on about it because it's bloody ace!! Who needs PLII when you have L7 it's the mutts nuts!

I'd owned my 565 for about 2 years and got used to the quite unhelpful set-up routines. It's not rocket science but it seemed that Meridian had gone out of their way to make the set-up of the unit as strange as possible. The MC-1 on the other hand is a breath of fresh air! You hardly have to open the manual it's that easy. An hour and an SPL meter later and it was all done. Compared to the Rotel processors (which I have listened to at length as they were on my list) again it was in a different league (in my humble opinion). It maybe a few years old now but the MC-1 was £5000 new for a reason and that reason is still there for everyone to hear. It supports all the latest surround format, excluding PLII but with L7 you have a better replacement anyway and it's not half as bad at stereo duties as some people would lead you to think. You can actually mod it to have a form of analogue bypass by using the Zone 2 facility I’ve read somewhere.

It's going to take a lot of saving and time for me to better the MC-1 but that's half the fun I guess. It's worth a listen.

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Yeah I wish every other manufacturer would look at the Lexicon and say "OK so thats how to do a set up menu!" It really is superb.
    And I agree, Lexicons L7 beats loads of other brands implementation of PLII.

And yeah the set up on the 565 is a pig, the 568.2 is not any better either, but with a pc you can set it up once and forget it, from then all you need to press is source select and volume.

The MC1 is definitely better than the 565 for movies, and not far behind on music.

Danny, I find it interesting what you say about the 1098, I heard this and didn't rate it, and someone I know very well and who I listen to when he says something is a bit special, said he was having a play with the showcase all day on sunday and thinks it is very, very good. And he is comparing it against Proceed, Meridian 861v4, mc12B etc etc.
    Myabe I need to try and listen to a 1098 again?

18. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Smurf,
    was quoting from Alvin Golds review of the 1098. According to AG (moviewise) there is about a nats chopper between the two.I do get to hear the 1098 regularly in my old chaps system & it is very good.

19. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Guy,
    why dont you come round to my dads & have a listen?He wont mind (any excuse for a show off!) You can check out my 505 at the same time:Gordan is doing ISF on it this week.

20. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I would also look at a secondhand EAD Ovation or Ovation8. I'm guessing the secondhand prices would be around £1000-1500 as they are about 3-4 years old now (they were around £6000 new). They have fantastic steering for surround sound (although only the basics i.e. DD, DTS and Pro Logic) but the placement of sounds is the best I have heard. Where this really trumps some of the other processors in this price range is the stereo performance - it is superb!

21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Yeah I would be interested to hear it, my work slows down in a few weeks so may well take you up on that.

cheers. :)

22. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I think what most people perceive as a difference in terms of 'processing', is actually more to do with the DACs than the processing circuitry.

23. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Spoke to a dealer today about the relevant processors and the upshot was that the linn exotik would be the favoured option due to it being a very good preamp, better then the naim av2, rotel 1068 etc note will add the dsp board when available

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    yeah but what did you think of the way it sounded?

25. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47

He wouldn't be a Linn dealer by any chance, would he? :laugh:

26. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    ive just gone from a 565 to a denon 3805 and to be honest for movies the denon wipes the floor with the 565 i had. however on 2 channel music the meridian and a decent power amp were far better. so if youre in to your films then you should hear an improvement over the meridian. hope this helps

27. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well interesting the 3805 `wipes the floor` of a 565 don`t you think? anyone else agree/disagree?

28. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The phrase "he must be on glue" comes to mind :D

29. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    well for my money as long as processor can do 2ch properly then everthing else falls into place

30. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    I'd have to agree based on the comment of "wiping the floor"...but in all honesty I was singularly unimpressed with the 565 when I briefly owned one. I'd take a 3805/AX5i or equivalent over a 565 any day of the week. That said, if music was a high priority to me I might have a different view...