1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how good is it at the top?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gary D, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've been doing the hunt for better sound my entire life, it was a bug a got from my dad (only decent thing he ever gave me :D ) i got my first electric shock when i was 11 taking a music centre to bits and i haven't looked back since. I've had a surround system of some type for the last 8 years or so, stating with a dolby digital telly and moving on and up ever since.

So far 2005 has been my upgrade year (first one since 2002) - new plasma, new DVD recorder and yesterday i took delivery of my new amp (denon AVR-1905 - my 3rd AV amp in 5 years) starting the hunt for a new DVD player now (although my 575 is less than a year old)

after a couple of hours playing (quick and dirty setup - full setup to be done this weekend :thumbsup: ) I was ready to listen to the amp. three hours later i had to dig myself out of the back wall and try and remove the joker type grin om face. My 2005 HC dumps all over my 2004 setup. my new Denon amp is light years ahead of my Yamaha DSP 620 (and that was a serious award winner in its day) everything i threw at it last night came back at me at the speed of light and velvet hammer blow that is the bass was so well controlled it left me breathless. The echo game from flying daggers made me want to mastabate it was so good.

however, the real question came to me last night if my reletivley modest setup can sound this good - whats the top end like? how good can all this get? The quality of these things is simply stunning. so does anyone with a big setup want to invite me round to show off? :D

(Current setup - Panasonic 42" veria plasma, Pioneer 575A DVD, Denon AVR-1905, Panasonic E85 DVD recorder, Phillips freeview box, Eltax Liberty speakers (inc sub), about £400 of cabling - and the best wife in the world :clap: )

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    im glad your happy with your kit, unfortunately i never been into sound (Stupid thing for an audio/visual technician to say) I preffer to rely on my eyes than my ears

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Good plug Pete. :rotfl:

Apart from the obvious jump in screensize you could have with a projector and maybe improving the speakers a little there isn't a lot more enjoyment to be had from movie performance available - and the upgrades cost a huge amount.

For pure musical performance there is nothing like listening on a truely high-end system. :)

5. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I concidered projectors when i bought my Plasma (moved up from a 36" tosh picture frame 1) but it just not possible in my house would have cost the earth in cabling. as all my kit is on the wrong side of the room, then i would haveto have the floor up (again) to lay the cables. Mrs D and myself thought about it long and hard before we went for the plasma. (Shes the one who stops me making mistakes like buying pioneer amps over denon :D the last time i didn;t listen to her i bought a samsung plasma screen :eek: i'm still trying to live that down :rotfl: )

As for speakers they are the weakest link in my chain right now (but there pretty good if you place them right and set them up correctly - but the coffers are dry again at the mo (sorry Pete - those are lovely speakers mate :smashin: ) i've got two holidays (France and New York) to get through yet and a kitchen to replace so they are just going to have wait for a little while longer :(

Pete - why the break mate (if you dont mind me asking?)

Gary

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Sure, no big deal but moving out of shared house as not for me. Been there 3 months and time to go. Out of the blue my parents offered for me to go home and start from scratch. As such, I cannot accomodate my kit and felt that selling it all now was a good way to kick start my 2005 ISA savings towards the next Chez Pete and clear the plastic.

Cheers,

Pete.

7. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    shared houses are a nightmare (lived in a few - some people are just flithy) good luck with the fresh start :smashin:

Gary

8. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    damn...you've made me want to upgrade my amps now....sigh...

9. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Sorry mr cat. i can only speak as i find. i loved my yamaha amp buts its had its day mate. the new amp is fantastic and there not really that expensive - relatively speaking, suddenly i have bass and lots of it.

Gary

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The top end....just don't go there,as you'll spend the rest of your life,if not your wallet as well,trying to get there.

Listening to a Levinson/Wilson system a few years had that effect on me,and in some ways it would have been best not to listen to it in the first place!

11. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have gone through numerous upgrades over the last 15 years or so and currently happy with the current system which I am lucky to be able to enjoy at top volume in a detached house - this proved the most usefull upgrade yet !

The heart of my system is a Pioneer AX10 av amp, KEF reference 1 speakers front and back, (including 6.1 set up) REL Strata and a Sharp XV-ZW60E projector and Pioneer 420 DVD recorder.......for me this is as high end as I need at the moment.

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Sshhh! Be quiet Alex! :nono:
    Really the best thing that you can do is never hear anything better than you already own - then you can't be tempted into upgrading. :)

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Good advice Alex. :smashin: as for upgrading it hapopens from time to time :D but i never read the tech forums or buy mags when i'm not in the market so i'm not tempted :D

Chard - i know we have crossed swords in the past over your questionable politics :D but that system sounds nice :smashin:

and i'm not going anywhere near alexs system its got the word "krell" in it :eek: :D

Gary

14. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ummm, why don't you go to the local ODEON and find out? :D

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    having pretty crap ears means the £100k stereo systems really dont do it for me, however as my GF has perfect pitch hearing and is musical i let her decide on speakers (yeah right) then go and buy the ones i think look best................(well try too anyway)

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,150
    Conversely I can't get excited over picture quality ;) -I guess I'm a bit blind though.
    I have the priviledge to work with some fairly hefty bits of high end in the course of my job. The good news for me is that on reflection, for me the law of diminishing returns kicks in with a vengeance at about the £2k point for AV gear (screens excepted) and £3-4k for seperate gear. What is more, some of my very favourite items are a great deal cheaper than that. What is equally good news is that the gap between decent entry level and stuff that costs quite a bit more- especially in digital components is increasingly narrow.

17. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Would have said come and have a look but then read this. :nono: not on my sofa :nono:

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    13,500 posts advising people on what equipment to buy and now he tells us.

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    :rotfl: ever noticed i only really speak of budget speakers? the main reason is the expensive kit (I'm talking EXPENSIVE here) just doesnt sound that much better to me (i prefer a good sound from cheap kit to an analitical sound from MEGA bucks kit as i dont hear the extra value, MY GF does but is too tight to spend the money!!! SO i buy what I like the sound of, she is a bit blind tho, and oddly wont let me buy a PJ......... :devil: :devil: :devil: more fool her

(if your reading this darling its all lies damn lies)

20. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate.....but all us Tory's have projectors ! ;)

21. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    That will be the fat cat tax that allows that then. :D

Gary