1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is a Samsung LE23R51B LCD as a PC monitor?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by OMA, Oct 30, 2005.

1. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I'm considering getting a Samsung LE23R51B to be used as a PC monitor (the 26 model would be too big for that use). Do any of you have this model or a similar one?. Is the quality any good?. I know the DNIe feature can't be used for VGA input. Does this impact very negatively the quality with PC images?.

Is there any other widescreen LCD monitor I should be looking for a similar price?.

Thanks!.

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    If it's anything like the 32" then it's fantastic as a monitor, if a little low resolution. (depends what you're using it for)

DNIe is disabled for VGA, but that's a good thing.

3. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Precisely, its "low" resolution is one of the features I like ;)

I never need to use resolutions above 1024x768, so I don't like having a huge native resolution, because I'd be forced to use it for everything (scaled resolutions don't look as good). And games can't run good at very high resolutions, either (unless you have a beast of a gfx card), so if resolution is the only "problem" then it's fine with me :)

And with this monitor I could maybe even use two resolutions with the monitor showing them at its native resolution: 1366x768 and 1024x768, because both have the same number of horizontal lines and thus don't have to be scaled (this is in the case that the monitor does 1:1 mapping for some of those).

But I have a question about that, since you used your 32" as a PC monitor: how can you set Windows to 1366x768 to get true 1:1 mapping?. In the "display properties" window I've only seen options for 1024x768 (4:3) and 1280x768 (which comes close but is good only for 15:9 monitors, not 16:9).

BTW, why is having DNIe disabled a good thing?. Is it that bad?. Also, have you tried to use it for a long time?. I read this article about eye strain with LCD monitors (it's a bit old, though):

http://cloanto.com/users/mcb/19960719lcd.html

Thanks for reading! :)

4. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have an interest in this display as well although I'd prefer it if it had either DVI or HDMI connections just so it's a little more future proof. 26" is probably going to be too large for use as a PC monitor.

What graphics card do you have, OMA? My Radeon 9800 can display 1360 x 768 which is about as close as you're going to get, leaving two 3 pixel gaps on either side of the displayed image on the screen I would have thought. Upgrading to the latest drivers will probably give you some more widescreen resolution options if you haven't done so already.

5. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    powerstrip is good for getting custom resolutions on pc's.

I think the sammy 26" is great, especially when watching dvd's and HD clips over vga.

6. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My graphics card is a Creative GeForce 4 Ti4200 (nVidia). I have checked in the "Advanced options" window, and I've found the 1360x768 mode. So in this mode the resolution is not automatically scaled to 1366x768?. I prefer if it isn't. If you just get tiny 3-pixel-width vertical bars at each side of the screen, then it's fine by me :thumbsup:

What about prolonged use?. Is it easy on the eyes?. I have heard a lot about Dell's FPW range of widescreen monitors, but it seems they're too bright even with brightness turned all the way down to zero. Do Samsung's LE23R51B (or another model in the same "R51" range) has this problem too?.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

7. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just realised you're talking about the LE23R51B not the LE23R41B. I was interested in this display too although I spoke to a sales person who said it was going to be an entry level model which put me off a little bit.

8. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    Except for cosmetic differences the 41 and 51 models are exactly the same. Neither of them are entry level models and are the same as the bigger sizes in the range except for the fact they don't have a HDMI or DVI connection. There is a new version of the 23", thed model number escapes me at the moment, that does have a DVI input. Not sure if it's available yet though.

9. dllord

dllord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Its the LE23T series that i think you are talking about!

10. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh wait, it's the LE23T51B that I was told is an entry level model by Waratah.co.uk!

11. OMA

OMA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Makes sense, since it has lower contrast ratio than the LE23R51B, and it's also cheaper (it has DVI, though).