1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good do dvds have to be to buy?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Miyazaki, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    How much would you rate a film out of ten before buying it?
    It seems that compared to the older days where i would hardly ever actually purchase a vhs cassette, unless i gave it 9/10 or 10/10. These days with dvd however i find myself buying dvds that i would give a scraping 4/10. Such as bulletproof monk.

Are we lowering our standards, just to see a half-baked featurette? Or has purchasing dvd's become a phenomenon or an addiction?

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All of the above for me! :smashin: :clap:

3. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Good post. I was the same as you back in the days of VHS. I would only buy the films I really liked, and thus only had about 30 VHS tapes.

But with DVD, I will buy every film I love, without question. Then I just buy them as I feel like. I have about 250 DVDs, and there are a fair number in there that I would classify as fairly average films. I won't buy anything I think was crap though (like Bullet Proof Monk :p ).

I see most films in the cinema because I have the UGC Unlimited pass, which means I'm at the cinema at least 3 times a week, usually more :smashin:

4. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Don't buy many dvds, only ones I know I will watch more than about 10 times and could look at with fresh eyes or the same enthusiasm every time or even years later. This can be action/fantasy as well as serious take the Indy films. There's a always a place in your heart for films like that. Also just films which are beautifully filmed and you can watch just for the pictures. Soundtracks as well, where would we be without them.

Plus films just for certain bits of spectacle that can engrose you. Like the car chases in ronin. Then watching the look on your friends faces as they see it for the first time. Other examples of that, Jackie Chan films, plots not always great but the stunts, and for real not cgi, and how many takes?

Also serious perhaps complex films/difficult to follow but rewarding at the end. It's great then when (watching again a few weeks later) you can't remember what's gonna happen next or you know but can't remember the reason why. Just think how great it would be if you could erase your memory/experiences of a film after watching it several times (if its worth watching) and then watch it again like watching it for the first time and then the second when you spot other stuff and then the third etc. When you get to saturation you erase your brain again. I find watching a film when your drunk can to an extent emulate this, but quite often the films you watch when you are drunk are crap anyway!

cosaw

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    There some films I would rate very high that I could not watch again and again, then there are others with lower mark I could.

So I suppose I buy them on re-watch ability rather than scores.

Although I give my top ten films high marks and re-watch them. That is the ones that are available.;)

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll buy anything with nice packaging!! :blush: :rolleyes: :suicide: :D

7. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting theories! I buy more DVDs to keep because of the soundtrack I suppose but also the ability to skip to chapters without having to wind through a tape. Bought about ten videos, up to nearly 100 DVDs and getting more all the time.

8. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I suppose dvds are now cheaper than original vhs ever was in it's heyday. I just picked up 6 excellent films for less than £50.

9. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What were the films?

10. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Um....

Metropolis, Ghandi, Bridge Over The River Kwai, Zulu, Gattaca, Nikita

11. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cool :cool:

Believe it or not, I've still to see Ghandi :eek:

12. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I concentrate on the hardware. My Girlfriend then buys staggering quantities of films (I own about 30, she has over 300) I cannot comment on her quality ratings but she does own some very good films indeed. She also owns Space Camp.

13. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,025
    Two tickets to the cinema = GBP11.00 plus getting there and back.

One DVD = GBP17 (say, for a new release, imported). If two of us watch it twice, I'm in pocket.

Going back to VHS days - two tickets to the cinema = GBP6 or 7. VHS tape = GBP15. Need to watch 3 times to gain. Plus, foreign imports were less practical, so a longer wait was typically involved.

These factors make my answer to the question - 'not very'.

Therefore, the answer is..........no especially

14. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Frankly, thay can be pretty crap!!

I rarely bought VHS tapes in the good ol' days. I did, however go to the cinema a lot, and see basically anything the local flea pit was showing.

Now with a family I rarely go out to the cinema, BUT now buy anything on DVD!.

Justification. My last trip to the cinema was to see Scooby Doo the Movie with the kids at my local UCI multiplex.

2x adults @ £4.50 each = £9
    2x kids @ £4.50 each = £9
    4x Hot dogs with @ £2.95 each = £11.80
    Total cost of trip =£29.80

DVD when it came out = £11.99

Even renting DVDs v purchasing (carefully) the difference isn't that great. With Blockbuster charging £3-£5 for overnight rental waiting a few months and paying £7-£9 for a DVD seems reasonable!!

Any thoughts?

15. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a price thing with me. I rarely have to spend more than ten or eleven pounds on new releases I really want. Other films I buy when discounted to six or seven pounds. If I like the film, I will see it at least once more, if I dont, I can sell it to some ebay moron.
    This is much cheaper than cinema and renting.

16. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, I pay £10 a month for Unlimited cinema. I see roughly between 20 and 25 films a month. If you don't own a UGC Unlimited Card then a ticket costs £5.50. Now, times that by 20 and that equals £110 on tickets alone, so I save £100 a month, roughly. I don't buy food and rarely buy a drink.

But buying DVDs, say the average DVD these days costs between £10 and £12. That is a whole month of cinema for me, so the cinema is the cheaper option by a loooooooong way :D

17. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah I was thinking of doing that Darth. But probably couldn't get to the cinema with the regularity I would like in order to make it pay like you do.

cosaw

18. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    R1 DVDs are like those illicit pirate videos of yester year! You can get them on DVD sometimes before they come out at the cinema over here, or about a month or so later, so I do not see the point in going to the cinema unless I am desperate to see something, or its a social event, that includes a few beers after, as it costs too much! As mentioned before, 2 cinema tickets now, are the price of a DVD! Especially one of cd-wows Hong Kong Beauties liek Twin Effect!

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As has been suggested, the big difference is value for money - VHS was never considered good value for money, wheras DVDs are quite often bargains! :smashin:

It is a shame cinema is so expensive now (and full of loud-mouthed idiots) as no matter how good your home cinema is you still can't beat going to the cinema when it comes to the big blockbuster summer releases! :)

20. menalaus

menalaus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    my collection is divided between discs that i love and can rewatch many times and discs that i trade on these (and other) forums watch once then pass on. 60p p&p is a lot cheaper than cinema tickets for 2 + babysitting or £4 for a rental.
    thanks to the internet and trading/sales forums i now rarely pay more than a tenner for a disc that i want, which is still cheaper than most VHS tapes on the high street.
    i havent got a top range HC setup by any means but i still beats my local cinema for sound quality and comfort.

21. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't cinema go through a dearth in the late 70's when VHS was emerging, leading to all those 50's style buildings being turned into bingo halls or just closing down?

It took a major re-invention (quality multiplex design and reduced pricing) to recover itself. Looks like the cycle might be repeating itself.

22. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nah, doubt it. Cinema going is still increasing every year. In the States though, 2003 has been a slightly slower year than 2002, but nothing to worry about. There just hasn't been as many red hot films as last year. Return Of The King will probably be No.1 for 2003 (hopefully :D ).

Anyone who has a UGC near them, I urge you to get the pass. Just having it will motivate you to go to the cinema more. Sure, you may see some crap, but you will also catch some gems that you wouldn't go and see otherwise. And it doesn't cost any extra either way :smashin:

23. Fairzo

Fairzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Went to a UGC yesterday and both my wife and I emerged with backs really hurting. Are they all so uncomfortable? Couldn't face going there often.

24. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've only been to three, but my regular UGC Edinburgh is the best cinema in, well, Edinburgh. That's no small feat because Edinburgh has about 12 cinemas. The seats are very comfy, and I could quite easily sit down and watch the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy from start to finish.

The other two that I've been to are Glasgow Renfield Street (tallest cinema in Europe I've been told, wouldn't be suprised :eek: ) and Dundee (quite good).

But I have no qualms with UGC. Unbelievable value for money, the Unlimited Pass is a true, honest bargain :smashin:

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    We've got a warner village in town, a tiny 2 screen abc, and we did have an odeon until it closed. It seems the veritable monopoly Warner have seized has made it very expensive to go there. I pay £4.80 a ticket and for a pot of minstrels and a medium drink its
    £5.80. So if i pay for myself and the lady and get some snacks its well nigh £20 for 2 hours entertainment. Bit of a joke really.

26. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hmmm, sounds suspiciously like Plymouth?! :smashin: Don't forget the Arts Cinema!! :clap: :clap: :rolleyes: