1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good convergence can I expect on a 36" TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blindlemon, Oct 2, 2003.

1. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 36PD30 has some convergence errors and I'm trying to decide whether to reject it or put up with it.

The amount of error is difficult to describe, but at the very sides of the screen, using a THX test page, the white vertical lines have about 1 - 1.5 phosphor dots of red down one side, and about 0.5 - 1 dots of blue on the other. On the RHS of the screen there is also about 0.5 of a red dot along the tops of the horizontal lines.

I'm not sure if this is related to the convergence errors or not, but there are also some faint orangey colour purity problems at the bottom corners and a bit of dark shadowing on the RHS about 5 inches in from the edge. These can be shifted around using the Sub-Geomagnetic adjustment in the service menu but if I get rid of the shadowing I have a big orange patch at bottom left, and if I get rid of the orange patch in one corner I get a greeny-blue patch in the opposite one!

My question is: can I reasonably expect better than this on a 36" screen CRT TV?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whether you can is one question. Whether you should is another question entirely.

The convergence problems you describe don't sound that serious and are probably 'within tolerance'. You can only be assured of no convergence errors at all with flat panels - LCD or Plasma.

The colour staining should not be there.

3. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,

Thanks.

I didn't think this was a "bad" convergence error - the 36PD30 on display in my local comet is worse. However, I agree that the colour staining is/should be unacceptable.

Unfortunately, for me, the difference between what I can/should expect starts to blur a little when I've just spent the best part of £2k on a TV :eek:

I guess I'll major on the colour staining when the engineer calls then... ;)

4. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My pd30 is very fine, except for a slight geometry problem in one corner.

If i was in your shoes I would get a replacement! Two thousand is a lot of money!

5. blindlemon

blindlemon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trouble is, I'm worried that this might be the best one I'll be offered!

The failure rate on these seems pretty high, and knowing my luck I'll end up with a succession of dodgy ones, each worse than the last.... :(

6. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +507
    I'm on my second PD30. This one has generally better convergence and geometry than the first apart from the very bottom inch or so in the right hand corner where the red deviates significantly (1cm!) from the blue and green. Its low enough to be below any widescreen DVDs and far enough to the right to be out of the 4:3 viewing area.

However, the picture quality is so much better than the first set (which had a very dull greenish picture that other people here have reported too) and I never notice the convergence on actual video even though I have been looking out for it. Therefore, I am loathe to change the set.