how good can it get.

DA7

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that it has been out for a couple of weeks and everyone seems to like it the big question now is how good can it get. Is it going to be a novelty thing or is there so much more that the Wii can do ..

Your opinions please

Now that it has been out for a couple of weeks and everyone seems to like it the big question now is how good can it get. Is it going to be a novelty thing or is there so much more that the Wii can do ..

Your opinions please

The big question is no what the wii can do, its more what can the developers do! It will be an interesting 12 mths ahead to see how they can utilise the controller!

do we think the next step forward will be the Wii with its controllers only in HD ?????

do we think the next step forward will be the Wii with its controllers only in HD ?????

Well yes that would be the next logical step providing it proves to be a great success. Then for there next gen machine they could make improvements to the motion controller and update the gfx as well!

This console as far as I'm concerned is a breathe of fresh air to gaming. To play a tennis game and be able to swing the controller as if you have a racket in your hand, seriously you don't think oh it's not got HD graphics it becomes irrelevant your to busy enjoying yourself. The Wii is only limited by the developers imagination from what I've seen so far.

Is it going to be a novelty thing or is there so much more that the Wii can do ..

Your opinions please

Well right now, after playing Wii Sports Boxing, all I can think about is the prospect of a Wii Fight Night:cool:

But EA, please don't let us down with a lazy port, give us a boxing masterpiece with twin WiiRemote controler support and make it feel right, now that could be a classic!

Also can't wait for some grid based tactics games ala Fire Emblem, will be so much better using the Wii Remote.

Then of course the obvious FPS gems that will surely be coming within the next 12 months.

"How good can it get?" Very! Let's just hope it happens:smashin:

But EA, please don't let us down with a lazy port, give us a boxing masterpiece with twin WiiRemote controler support and make it feel right, now that could be a classic!

Why would you need 2 remotes rather than the nunchuck?

I'd like decent RTS and FPS games to come out.

RTS games could work well on the wii as the remote is like a mouse.

Why would you need 2 remotes rather than the nunchuck?

I'd like decent RTS and FPS games to come out.

I found the nunchuck seemed to be less responsive than the remote when playing Wii Sports Boxing(perhaps was just my imagination), and also I didn't like the cable linking the controllers together. I just thought why not include option for two remotes if you have them instead of remote/nunchuck, all wireless:)

The Wii isn't about flashy graphics, it's about gameplay.

Yes of course, it's well known that it's impossible to code good games that have gameplay on consoles with better gfx capabilities :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that there's nothing special about the Wii that means that its titles will automatically have better gameplay than those for other systems. The motion sensing controller is very interesting and seems to have been well implemented but there have been loads of motion sensitive controllers in the past (I have an old MS Sidewinder tilt sensitive joypad for my PC) which haven't exactly changed the world. I'm sure that there will be a few select titles that really benefit from it, in fact are only really made possible by it, but for many it'll be a case of trying to knock a square peg into a round hole for control.

However, the WiFi, internet connectivity and virtual console is a good move forward for Nintendo and they have a good reputation for making quality first party titles.

If the price comes down to 150 quid I think they'll have a competitive system on their hands. As it is, 180 is too much for what you get but I can see why they'd want to max their profits at launch given that they can sell every one they make at the moment.

Gav

Yes of course, it's well known that it's impossible to code good games that have gameplay on consoles with better gfx capabilities :rolleyes:

I think you'll find that there's nothing special about the Wii that means that its titles will automatically have better gameplay than those for other systems. The motion sensing controller is very interesting and seems to have been well implemented but there have been loads of motion sensitive controllers in the past (I have an old MS Sidewinder tilt sensitive joypad for my PC) which haven't exactly changed the world. I'm sure that there will be a few select titles that really benefit from it, in fact are only really made possible by it, but for many it'll be a case of trying to knock a square peg into a round hole for control.

Also still feel £180 is a bit high for the console but guessing instead of a price drop and extra Wii Remote & Nunchuck will be added to the package once sales start to slow down, that would make it much better value! I payed £340 for mine but I'm in Argentina so it was that price or no Wii for me, doubt they'll be much cheaper than that here for a coule of years at least.

However, the WiFi, internet connectivity and virtual console is a good move forward for Nintendo and they have a good reputation for making quality first party titles.

If the price comes down to 150 quid I think they'll have a competitive system on their hands. As it is, 180 is too much for what you get but I can see why they'd want to max their profits at launch given that they can sell every one they make at the moment.

Gav

Despite the fact I just bought one & love it to bits, I can agree with most(if not all) of your points there. But as you say, the fact remains Nintendo always have some fantastic exclusives which is good enough for me, and if they implement the online play well enough there could be some amazing multiplayer WiFi games on the way.

No regretts about buying this superb little console, but yes, you have some fair points there IMO.

I think Wii is a total gimmick at the moment - none of the titles that are currently available (with the exception of Bowling in Wii Play) feel like they are truly designed for this sort of motion.

In Zelda it's clear the motion controls were an afterthought and that really doesn't save the game. Super Monkey Ball is a joke, so much worse than SMB2 and Wii Play is no more than a few tech demos.

I want to see some REAL innovation here, developers starting with the controller and considering what they can do with it rather than trying to make existing sports and activities fit with it.

I am extremely disappointed with the accuracy of the controller and the seemingly countless mistakes that it tends to make in the tracking of movements. I was under the impression that it would be close to perfect but even after a couple of weeks I'm finding it difficult to hit good shots in Tennis.

To be honest I'm considering eBaying mine now - I bought it in good faith but I'm seeing nothing here or on any release list that makes me feel that a controller is worth £180.

I am extremely disappointed with the accuracy of the controller

I found the opposite. The controller is really spot on, especially with on-screen menus and such.

I was lucky and the callibration was perfect for me straight out of the box, but I believe there are controller sensitivity setting you can adjust if it's not working too well.

If you still find it's not the console for you, then Ebaying should get most, if not all, of your money back.

RDB :)

I'm not sure what the accuracy problem would be, in wii play shooting it's perfect and that's a game where it really counts.

There's sensitivity issues in boxing and in COD though.

So far im very impressed, its definately a breath of fresh air. Everyone who has played has came back in 20 mins and said "can i have another go". I think the graphics are ofcourse less sophisticaed than that of the PS3 or 360 but if you look at games such as Mario Galaxy its not as bad as everyone has made it out to be, infact i think they look very crisp (this however may be due to the type of game it is where miniscule detail is not exactly brought out).

TBH i have spent most of my time on Wii sports and Wii play, i think because of the control system being implemented very well in them and in the full games ..... not so well. As with most first gen games on any console there are quite a few problems, my main gripe being the control system and graphics, i think this is due to obivous "first go's" and not the Wii's ability. Once these two simple things are ironed out the Wii seems to be to me on par with both the 360 and PS3, obviously in different ways, just like how some people are good at one thing and someone good at another does not make one better than the other.

The biggest hurdle for the Wii will be to get the developers in, once theyre in it seems a straight and easy path for Nintendo, but the new momentum makes this hurdle very big.

I think Wii is a total gimmick at the moment - none of the titles that are currently available (with the exception of Bowling in Wii Play) feel like they are truly designed for this sort of motion.

In Zelda it's clear the motion controls were an afterthought and that really doesn't save the game. Super Monkey Ball is a joke, so much worse than SMB2 and Wii Play is no more than a few tech demos.

I want to see some REAL innovation here, developers starting with the controller and considering what they can do with it rather than trying to make existing sports and activities fit with it.

I am extremely disappointed with the accuracy of the controller and the seemingly countless mistakes that it tends to make in the tracking of movements. I was under the impression that it would be close to perfect but even after a couple of weeks I'm finding it difficult to hit good shots in Tennis.

To be honest I'm considering eBaying mine now - I bought it in good faith but I'm seeing nothing here or on any release list that makes me feel that a controller is worth £180.

apart from wii bowling no other game has been designed for this sort of motion??are you sure?

golf is very good and i happen to think zelda is great swinging my sword and picking off enemies with my bow from 200yds and bowling is the dogs.the responsiveness is better than i could have hoped for but wii tennis is ungodly!!!

the remote accurately mirrors my shots and now im **** hot at it i can lob,topspin forehand,slice,even swerve the the ball,i can do whatever i want and put the ball wherever i choose and the remote does it all effortlessly.and this is just a pack-in game to demonstrate what you can do???roll on a developer doing a 100% version with online multiplayer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom