How good are the in car sat navs at redirecting a route?

drunkenmaster

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After having many a discussion with the chaps in the weekend, there seems to be confusion at which in car sat nav is best for redirecting a route:

1) Just before a traffic alert

2) When you miss the turn the system recommends

Consensus was that the tom toms just tell you to turn around, and others will redirect u via the shortest route if possible in both cirecunstances.

Can anybody help?? thanks

I have a Tom Tom 500 (without live traffic updates) and set up to prefer the shortest route.
If you miss a turn it does advise to turn around but only because it is the shortest route available.
Sometimes it redirects almost immediatly or as soon as continuing in the present direction the shortest route.

i can confirm tomtom will recalculate the route to ur rules ie shortest/fastest

so often its quicker/shorter to turn around.
but it does recalculate depending on where u are and if u ignore its drections etc

My tomtom one is excellent at redirecting if you miss a turn. It calculates a new route almost immediately after you have driven past the turning.

drunkenmaster said:
1) Just before a traffic alert

2) When you miss the turn the system recommends....

1)My Garmin C510D with TMC traffic offers you an alternative route well in advance of problems. A red warning triangle appears which if you press, it tells you the problem and offers to take you on a better route which you can either accept or deny.

2) It seems to take you on the shortest route from the point where you miss the turning. This generally is an alternative route. If it wants you to do a 'U' turn it will direct you to the nearest roundabout or seek out a turning that can lead to the desired road. It hasn't (yet) just told me to 'turn back or around!

:thumbsup: Thanks for all your help.:thumbsup:

Does this mean that the Tom Tom models do not have active traffic alerts?

It does, it's just an extra you have to pay for. As long as you have a bluetooth capable phone it will work fine.

GregHook said:
It does, it's just an extra you have to pay for. As long as you have a bluetooth capable phone it will work fine.

...or a lifetime sub included in the price with the Garmin unit!

partyweb said:
:smashin: The New Navmans also have the add-on T1 traffic pack for about £60-70 (lifetime subscription). This uses the RDS radio signal so there's no need for a bluetooth phone (and huge mobile data costs).

The problem with the Navman T1 traffic module is that it needs its own aerial to get the RDS signal so you have a lot of wires around the place. In my limited experience, I am not convinced that the alerts are terribly up to date, which limits its usefulness quite a bit.

they are 2 differents info provider, itis and trafficmaster.

Trafficmaster is used by garmin and it is an automatic system on major road. So it is pretty acurate by do not cover smaller road.

Itis is used by Navman, it is a system link with Rac car for example... ie not automated, so it covers more road (if not all) but the info are not as up to date.

So depending if you are a motorway or countryside man you know which one to get :)

All rds as far as I know needs antena, and it is a pain to set up :( I had a navman 550 and now a garmin 510 and the main problem that I had with both is a "bad" reception with the rds.

hysys said:
All rds as far as I know needs antena, and it is a pain to set up :( I had a navman 550 and now a garmin 510 and the main problem that I had with both is a "bad" reception with the rds.

I think I read somewhere that the Sony RDS aerial is built in which, if true, would provide a much tidier solution

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom