Quantcast

Question How good are Q Acoustic's 3020 speakers???

Smiffy 2

Currently have a Q Acoustics 7000i 5.1 system (only just purchased). Very happy as well.
Friend of mine has offered me a pair of 3020's with stands, along with a 3090 centre for a ridiculously cheap price as he owes me a favour.
Would I notice a big difference between these and my 7000i F/R/C Satellites. Worth a punt?
I'd keep the two other 7000i's as rear surrounds.
Advice much appreciated.
Rob

Last edited:

Gasp3621

You will notice difference as 3020 and 3090c has larger vented cabinets with bigger drivers. 7000i is lifestyle satellite system and it can´t produce similar sound. 3000 serie will sound larger with more weight and depth especially the center channel will be lot better. If you can place them optimally using speaker stands (~60cm) for 3020 and the center channel as close to seated ear height as possible (not inside cab), then i would say go for it! There is a reason why those models has been so popular all over world. So it´s not just UK / WhatHifi hype..

Notice both 3020 and 3090C are on sale for 99£ at Richer Sounds, so assuming they are now few year old you shouldn´t pay huge amount for your friend!

Smiffy 2

Thanks very much for the informative reply Gasp, and the "heads up" with regards prices.... much appreciated.
I've had a look on the Richer Sounds website, unfortunately they don't have any in stock at my nearest store, (which is quite a drag away), and they can't be ordered online either.... :(
My friends speakers are gloss black and as I said in my first post, they come with the matching 300 series stands.
He has offered me the lot for £200.00 which I think is a pretty good price bearing in mind the stands, and says that everything is "like new".
I think I'll give them a punt, I can always sell 'em on again if I don't like them.
Thanks again mate.
Rob

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Thanks very much for the informative reply Gasp, and the "heads up" with regards prices.... much appreciated.
I've had a look on the Richer Sounds website, unfortunately they don't have any in stock at my nearest store, (which is quite a drag away), and they can't be ordered online either.... :(
My friends speakers are gloss black and as I said in my first post, they come with the matching 300 series stands.
He has offered me the lot for £200.00 which I think is a pretty good price bearing in mind the stands, and says that everything is "like new".
I think I'll give them a punt, I can always sell 'em on again if I don't like them.
Thanks again mate.
Rob
Yes i can imagine they are easy to sell if not happy so not huge risk and the gloss finish is very nice. I had the gloss white 2000i back in the days. Didn´t notice they come with stands, great! Update your thoughts after listening some music and movies with them. :smashin:

Smiffy 2

Well I gave the 3090c a try this morning. Waiting for a new cabinet to arrive so don't want to mess around too much with my current set up. Watched half an hour of the greatest showman and the difference between my current 7000 centre was immediately obvious. Much fuller sound whilst retaining superb dialogue clarity. The new cabinet should be here within the next few days so I can position the 3020`s properly. Can't wait to see what the overall effect is going to be.
👍👍👍

Smiffy 2

New cabinet arrives today..... have measured everything out and it's all going to fit nice and snug!
This is the cabinet....solid oak.

cabinet 1.jpg

UB820 and NR1609 on the bigger shelf, with 3090c centred nicely between them, and the PS4 in the space on the bottom shelf. Was going to put the receiver on the bottom shelf, but the small hole behind is not conducive to feeding all the speaker cables through. Don't want to go hacking it around.
One drawer for my "better" 4K discs, the other for all the PS4 peripherals. Hope the wife will be happy now.....:confused::confused::confused:
Fingers crossed....................

Last edited:

grahammc2111

Novice Member
Smiffy

Cant wait to hear your verdict on the speakers and the sound you get as I am in the prosses of trying to figure out what speakers I want for my front and centre. My mrs likes the q acoustic speakers

Smiffy 2

Damn. Got some fettling to do. Centre speaker is just a fraction too high to fit under the plinth. Going to have to shave a bit off the back. Once it's in there's plenty of room.

Gasp3621

Damn. Got some fettling to do. Centre speaker is just a fraction too high to fit under the plinth. Going to have to shave a bit off the back. Once it's in there's plenty of room.
Any chance of raising tv feets and having it in front of tv higher and it would allow you to angle it more upwards aswell?!

Smiffy 2

Any chance of raising tv feets and having it in front of tv higher and it would allow you to angle it more upwards aswell?!
I thought about that option but I think it's going to raise the TV up too high for our preferred viewing angle. I know some people wall mount their TV's up quite high, we've got friends who have done so. But we personally don't like that. The TV is in the perfect position for us now.
Plus, as nice as the 3090c sounds, I don't really want a big blob of speaker sitting on open display like that. Our three cats would find it irresistible, and would end up fighting over which one was going to sit on it. Cats don't do as they're told ..... :( :( :( :(
It's not going to take too much to sort it. Just need to rasp/file about 1/4" out of the back plinth to slide the centre in, and as I say, once it's in there there is plenty of room to move it around.
And being around the back, nobody is ever going to see where I butchered it..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

Fettling finished and all up and running. Place looks a bit of a mess at the moment as we're in the process of decorating, new carpets etc. Sound is superb. The dialogue through the 3090c is fantastic, nice and clear and the 3020's are working a treat. Kept the 7000i's for surrounds and got the minx 12's for Atmos duties. Finally settled on my set up. 👍👍👍
IMG_20200122_102814.jpg

Last edited:

barnybaz

IV recently just got the 3020i's and 3090ci and 3060s and needing some smaller surrounds than the 3010i and was thinking about the 7000i's, are they a good tonal match as I know they have different tweeters. And regards to the minx for Atmos where abouts have you got them (some folk say about 2 foot Infront of the listening position on ceiling and in line with the front left and right speakers)... Glad your happy with your new speakers.

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

IV recently just got the 3020i's and 3090ci and 3060s and needing some smallwr surrounds than the 3010i and was thinking about the 7000i's, are they a good tonal match as I know they have different tweeters. And regards to the minx for Atmos where abouts have you got them (some folk say about 2 foot Infront of the listening position on ceiling and in line with the front left and right speakers)... Glad your happy with your new speakers.
The 7000's are fine as my surrounds, they sound perfect to my ears. I have my Minx wall mounted directly above the front L&R about 6" down from the ceiling, tilted down towards my main listening area. Again, no problems. I have a couple of 7000's and the matching centre going spare by the way 😉😉😉

barnybaz

The 7000's are fine as my surrounds, they sound perfect to my ears. I have my Minx wall mounted directly above the front L&R about 6" down from the ceiling, tilted down towards my main listening area. Again, no problems. I have a couple of 7000's and the matching centre going spare by the way 😉😉😉
Thanks glad to hear it's a good match.. Why wouldn't you use the other 7000's for Atmos duties as im sure they would be a better match than the minx and can go down to 90-100hz where's the minx are 150hz and also don't have a dedicated wide dispersion tweeter like the 7000's.. Thanks for the offer but I need some in white and can get open box set from retailer for £161 delivered with warranty etc so will prob go for those and allready have the 3090ci....

Last edited:

Smiffy 2

Why wouldn't you use the other 7000's for Atmos duties
Size..
As small as the 7000's are, they are quite a big bigger than the Minx. With my missus I needed to be as discreet as possible 😢😢😢😢😢

gibbsy

Size..
As small as the 7000's are, they are quite a big bigger than the Minx. With my missus I needed to be as discreet as possible 😢😢😢😢😢
Oh threaten her with this:
169014423.3oX2AMVS._DSC4302.jpg

I have a very understanding wife. :thumbsup:

Smiffy 2

Why wouldn't you use the other 7000's for Atmos duties as im sure they would be a better match than the minx and can go down to 90-100hz where's the minx are 150hz and also don't have a dedicated wide dispersion tweeter like the 7000's..
Actually, I'm at home on Tuesday, wife is at work all day.
I might just have a "twiddle".........just to see what they look like of course.
🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔

Smiffy 2

I think you would notice a difference in the sound and might not want to go back 😊
And I reckon a pair of Minx 12's with wall brackets would be easier to sell than a pair of 7000's 😉😉😉

Smiffy 2

Why wouldn't you use the other 7000's for Atmos duties as im sure they would be a better match than the minx and can go down to 90-100hz where's the minx are 150hz and also don't have a dedicated wide dispersion tweeter like the 7000's.
What crossover settings would you suggest with the two 7000's as Atmos speakers??

Gasp3621

Thanks glad to hear it's a good match.. Why wouldn't you use the other 7000's for Atmos duties as im sure they would be a better match than the minx and can go down to 90-100hz where's the minx are 150hz and also don't have a dedicated wide dispersion tweeter like the 7000's.. Thanks for the offer but I need some in white and can get open box set from retailer for £161 delivered with warranty etc so will prob go for those and allready have the 3090ci....
Yep in ideal world they are better match, but the need for matching Atmos speakers.. Well just look how many people all over world pick different brand ceiling/height speakers and they are not complaining one bit. :)

Minx is well known for it`s wide dispersion feature if something, that is one reason why people have picked it as Atmos height speakers!! If i had to guess the QA 7000i is more directional. The whole design is completely different on Minxes with BMR driver!

"Another benefit of BMR technology includes near-180 degree sound dispersion. This makes it much easier to fill a room with sound wherever you place them whilst also avoiding creating ‘sweet-spots’ – areas where sound quality is at its highest. Additionally, the BMR radiates sound uniformly with the same dispersion characteristics in both the horizontal and the vertical plane."

Read this: Speakers - BMR Drivers explaned

Crossover for 7000i is more closer to 120hz, they are still very tiny speakers with 3" drivers. The FR manufacturer shows doesn`t have indication of -3db/-6db, so take it with a grain of salt. QA even recommends 100hz crossover setting for the larger 3000 system (3010,3090c).

barnybaz

Yep in ideal world they are better match, but the need for matching Atmos speakers.. Well just look how many people all over world pick different brand ceiling/height speakers and they are not complaining one bit. :)

Minx is well known for it`s wide dispersion feature if something, that is one reason why people have picked it as Atmos height speakers!! If i had to guess the QA 7000i is more directional. The whole design is completely different on Minxes with BMR driver!

"Another benefit of BMR technology includes near-180 degree sound dispersion. This makes it much easier to fill a room with sound wherever you place them whilst also avoiding creating ‘sweet-spots’ – areas where sound quality is at its highest. Additionally, the BMR radiates sound uniformly with the same dispersion characteristics in both the horizontal and the vertical plane."

Read this: Speakers - BMR Drivers explaned

Crossover for 7000i is more closer to 120hz, they are still very tiny speakers with 3" drivers. The FR manufacturer shows doesn`t have indication of -3db/-6db, so take it with a grain of salt. QA even recommends 100hz crossover setting for the larger 3000 system (3010,3090c).
I dont disagree with you just the op said he had some 7000i spare and was wondering apart from wife factor why he wouldn't try and utilise them.... I have never heard the minx speakers and don't doubt they are good based on like you said the amount of folk using them. 👍

Smiffy 2

Confused now...... 🤔 🤔 🤔

Installing the 7000's would necessitate me drilling more holes in the wall and I don't really want to go ahead and do that unless there is a likelihood of an improvement in effects.
Help!!!!!
😵😵😵😵😵

Trending threads

Latest News

Apple wireless home cinema audio hinted by patent?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung and BT deliver UK’s first live 8K sports broadcast
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins confirms corporate changes
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Freeview Play coming to Android TV devices
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Box Office still important draw for movie goers