How good are new LCD PJs ? ( Pana 4000 ? )

lovecats

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi

Im really just curious to know how something like the new Panasonic 4000 3LCD machine compares to a good CRT ?

the Pana claims 100,000:1 CR and some reviews have said it can do ' what looks like true black '

Id be curious to know if anyone here has seen such a machine in action, and how does it compare ?

I dont plan on going digital, but at some point all the crts will have passed on, and the rest of us will be forced to get a bulb PJ by then of course, hopefully the prices will have dropped a lot, it surely cant cost any more to make a good PJ as it does to make a bad one, yet the price difference can be like 20x as much for a 'good' one ( ie single chip DLP v 3-chip DLP )

I know, its a pretty depressing prospect, I dont wanna think about it too much or i get too depressed :rolleyes:

808s & HEARTBREAK

Last edited:
I prefer the JVC- decent black level without twitching an iris.
Give it a LED lamp, and fix the slight motion blur....

1600 lumen projector.
100,000 Contrast Ratio
Makes 0.016 lumens (asuming metric ie per m)
=0.0015 foot candles
700 x 0.0015 = 1

What light meter are the using to measure a candle at 700 feet away!!!!!!

I prefer the JVC- decent black level without twitching an iris.
Give it a LED lamp, and fix the slight motion blur....

hmmm, Ive not see either so dont know how good or not the images are

but from the sound of it, not great compared to a crt, I mean, the JVC is probably at least £ 2,000 and it has a ' slight ' motion blur

it shouldnt have any blur whatsoever, nor should any quality display, but it seems in this post CRT age, ALL the digital displays suffer from some form of motion blur....

If you want to play the digital versus CRT game, then you need to look at a JVC 750/950/990 in order to form an opinion of use to yourself. Every display has compromises that may or may not be problematic to you.

JVC 750 as a minimum to compare to CRT quality ?

hmmm, sounds about right, I didnt think anything under 2k would even be worth looking at,

not that I even have 2k to spend on a display, but good to hear how good these CRTs still are in this day and age

crt is dead. long live crt. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom