How good are Draper screens?

Godfather

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My dad is looking for a screen for his Panasonic AE300 and has been recommended the Drapers because they're good value. But I've read of problems with 'ripples'. Is this something that you can spot right away or do they develop over time? Are OWL screens much better? They're a fair bit more expensive though.

Many thanks.

Owl screens are better for not much more money from Gordon. I am biased because I have an Owl, but I was really unimpressed with the Draper I saw, yes it did have ripples that were really noticable and it seems like a commom complaint.

Drapers manual pulldown screens are the best budget units i have come across. All screens will curl at sides unless of very stiff material or tab tensioned. I've even seen some tab-tensioned units that curled as well but I don't recommend them.

Ripples in material tend to be from poor design of where material fits on to roller or due to miss hanging.

OWL do the best starter electric screens IMHO. After that it's VuTec or Stewart.....

Gordon

Thanks for the quick replies. How much would a 80" diagonal 16:9 OWL screen cost?

Yes,

Hi Gordon I will join in here if I may. I am looking for an owl screen myself. I have a Sony HS10 so can you recommend gain/colour for me plse.

I assume the measurements are across the diagonal ? I will be looking for one of those with a greater blackened top area so can adust the vertical positioning to suit room as pj setup. Can you be kind enough to let us know some prices please.

Best wishes,
Steve.

My Owl with a 112" diagonal or 8ft wide comes with an additional 12" black drop at the top and a 1.2 gain. Your best bet is to email Gordon for prices as hes not suppose to trade on the forum.;)

most people recommend White with an lcd projector.

I think the Draper luma is 1.1, it looks nice with an lcd and is very good value.

D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom