1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good are CRTs at doing anamorphic material?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by EvilMudge, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I know what's physically involved in doing a 16:9 squeeze on a CRT projector - and supposedly this generates more picture lines in the centre of the tube, but I am wondering what lasting effect this can have on the tubes themselves.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thursday!

:D

[​IMG]

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    You are concentrating more energy in a smaller area. If not set up properly you will wear out tube faster than with 4:3. Except it is unlikely you will set it up wrongly.

You also have to remember that if you watch lots of 16:9 material then you increase wear in middle section of tubes faces in relation to top and bottom. This means that if you sell and next person wants 4:3 screen they are going to have issues with different colouromirty and brightness in centre section.

The reality is that none of this is really going to be an issue to you. We are here to help you set it up right!

Gordon

P.S. What on earth is Nathan on!

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon, and Nathan, can I have some of what you've had:devil:
    My real question is, if anamoprhic material is properly scaled, ie the PJ is run at a higher than VGA or PAL resolution, is there still a benefit to be gained from squishing the height of the picture, as there would be with a low resolution device?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.