How future proof is the EX75

Faust

Given that the Panasonic EX75 DVDR HDD has a 160Gig HD, records to most DVD formats, has a built in Freeview tuner and supports HDMI and Component, is this about as future proof as you can get for some time to come?

Gavtech

Administrator
is this about as future proof as you can get for some time to come?
Yes.

It will be a very long time before HD is a real issue to offer it competition. Indeed the hardware will start to dribble through in the next year or two...but it will be many years before broadcasting catches up and gets into the mainstream, so there will be little justification or drive for it.

Given the enormous anti-copying restriction built into the HD system and that much of the limited early material will not permit copying in High Definition it is difficult to see that there will be much incentive to embrace this technology.

Faust

Yes.

It will be a very long time before HD is a real issue to offer it competition. Indeed the hardware will start to dribble through in the next year or two...but it will be many years before broadcasting catches up and gets into the mainstream, so there will be little justification or drive for it.

Given the enormous anti-copying restriction built into the HD system and that much of the limited early material will not permit copying in High Definition it is difficult to see that there will be much incentive to embrace this technology.
I think you are spot on about the HD issue - given that the hardware manufacturers and the big studios seem to be singing off the same hymn sheet for once I think any sort of Hi Def recorder is more a wish list item than a tangible creation for some considerable time. I also think that anti piracy measures will ensure that they don't capture the publics imagination like the VCR or the present generation of recorders. From articles I have read, giving a disk you have recorded to a family member or friend to watch will be a non-starter as the disks will only play on the machine they were recorded on.

txemix

Standard Member
I think it's very limited regarding Freeview, because it doesn't support Dolby Digital 5.1 either in direct viewing or when recording. This is the case for European versions but I think it's the same for UK. Also, for countries where multilanguage DVB-T is usual (my case) it doesn't record multiple audios and, worse, doesn't allow selection of the audio to record (it just selects the language of the OSD menus without other possibility).

Otherwise it's a nice set, with the European version having another odd limitation about not playing DivX in DVD+/-RW (English version is worse doesn't playing DivX at all).

nodgin

Standard Member
The only thing that's holding me back from getting an EX75 or 85 is the single digital tuner. I'm hoping the next generation will have twin digital tuners to give added flexibility.

Faust

The only thing that's holding me back from getting an EX75 or 85 is the single digital tuner. I'm hoping the next generation will have twin digital tuners to give added flexibility.
I'm not sure that is on the near horizon at all, why would they put twin tuners in? If you think about it Panasonics t.v.'s have a Freeview tuner and now they are putting them in their recording media as well so the status quo has been resumed - think analogue t.v and VCR's 1 tuner in each.

Gavtech

Administrator
They may not because it means also having to add a second encoder, which hikes up the cost.

ChainsawDude

Novice Member
I will not be suprised to see the next generation having twin independant tuners so they can record from two channels simultaneously.

It is interesting that none of the DVD recorder manufacters have done this already. I would have thought they would have tested the water with a top end premium model. They must be loosing sales to the PVRs which all seem to have two independant tuners.

Perhaps units like the EX75 should operate like a PVR when recording to HDD and only re-encode when archiving to DVD.

gavan

Novice Member
I will not be suprised to see the next generation having twin independant tuners so they can record from two channels simultaneously.

It is interesting that none of the DVD recorder manufacters have done this already. I would have thought they would have tested the water with a top end premium model. They must be loosing sales to the PVRs which all seem to have two independant tuners.

Perhaps units like the EX75 should operate like a PVR when recording to HDD and only re-encode when archiving to DVD.

Seems like the 'traditional' CE manufacturers are very wary of dipping their toes into the PVR marketplace. They have plenty of machines with HDD recording but have shied away from typical PVR features (second tuner, direct to HDD bitstream recording) in favour of units that are in concept pretty much just VCRs with the latest technology bolted on.

Personally, I find that a PVR pretty much fulfils all my recording needs and I suspect that many others feel the same. If the big names aren't careful, they'll end up like Sony who had the market (for portable music in their case) stolen from under them.

Gav

nodgin

Standard Member

Spot on. I nearly got an EX85 as I originally thought that I could use its digital tuner and analogue tuner together, bit like a PVR, but on digging a little bit I found that it's an either/or situation. I've got a digital tuner in my TH42PX60 so with an EX85 hooked up I could record one (Freeview) channel and watch another, but in my house there are times when we want to record more than one channel at the same time. I don't want to shell out on a PVR as well (or instead), and don't have Sky+, so at the moment I'm having to be patient and hope that twin digital tuners become the norm in DVD recorders.

Having said that, how feasible would it be to get an EX85 and a decent PVR? Could I archive something from the PVR to a DVD on the EX85? Could I watch something recorded on the PVR via the EX85 and benefit from its HDMI upscaling? Don't quite know how or if that might work ... just thinking aloud now... :confused:

Gavtech

Administrator
Spot on. I nearly got an EX85 as I originally thought that I could use its digital tuner and analogue tuner together, bit like a PVR, but on digging a little bit I found that it's an either/or situation. I've got a digital tuner in my TH42PX60 so with an EX85 hooked up I could record one (Freeview) channel and watch another, but in my house there are times when we want to record more than one channel at the same time. I don't want to shell out on a PVR as well (or instead), and don't have Sky+, so at the moment I'm having to be patient and hope that twin digital tuners become the norm in DVD recorders.

Having said that, how feasible would it be to get an EX85 and a decent PVR? Could I archive something from the PVR to a DVD on the EX85? Could I watch something recorded on the PVR via the EX85 and benefit from its HDMI upscaling? Don't quite know how or if that might work ... just thinking aloud now... :confused:
Yes this is feasible... if not the ideal in terms of flexibility.

A PVR can be used for those programmes you mostly wish to timeshift only and the DVDR for those that you wish to archive.
You can also archive if necessary from the PVR the DVDR, albeit you have to double-handle the material... and yes you can upscale.

I have such an arrangement myself although I am not concerned about upscaling.

Gavtech

Administrator

The one main hope for twin digital tuners being fitted next season is, it is hard to imagine what else next seasons 'must buy' feature would be otherwise.

One fears that even if they do fit them, it will be restricted in use in the first season. Such as record one, watch another only, not record two... or perhaps record to hard drive on one and restricted to recording on removeable disk via the second tuner.

All pointless speculation really. The Japanese market cannot be used as a guide in this case. The tuners issue is complicated by many factors. It doesnt not necessarily follow that because they have twin tuner DVDR's this season that we will have them next.

We shall see in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom