How frequently do JVC revise their models?

MadScientist

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing my ageing 720p projector with a 3D capable model and have the JVC X3 in mind

I won't have the funds for another 6 months but am prepared to wait a bit longer if there is a good chance of an X3 Mk2 coming out in less than a year from now. Based on previous model revisions is that likely does anyone know?

Thanks

MS

Sometimes JVC bring out models very quickly.The current X range came out well under a year after the previous 550/950/990.

This caused quite a bit of anger at the time from folks who had just bought the old models as it wiped quite a bit of value off their new machines.

Sometimes JVC bring out models very quickly.The current X range came out well under a year after the previous 550/950/990.

This caused quite a bit of anger at the time from folks who had just bought the old models as it wiped quite a bit of value off their new machines.

Is this definitely correct? As far as I'm aware they always introduce their new line up at CEDIA (so around September) and then it's just a question of how long it takes for them to reach the dealers (maybe 2 months?). Certainly since the HD1 in late 2006, I thought we had the HD100 in late 2007, HD350 & HD750 in late 2008, HD550, HD950 & HD990 in late 2009 & the X3, X7 & X9 in late 2010. Having a quick check of the HD350 & HD550 owners threads, it appears they were making their way into people's homes around October/November of the year of release. It may possibly be only the HD990 & X9 that have taken longer than this to materialise.

What certainly is true is that JVC have been introducing new/revised models yearly since 2006 so I'd expect the X3 replacement to be announced in September. Given some of the issues with their 1st gen of 3D projectors, I'd certainly wait to see what the next gen offers you (hopefully some kinks ironed out).

I would have to check back into various threads to confirm but I do remember a lot of negative posts at the time towards JVC when the 550-990 models came out then what appeared to be a relatively short time later the X range appeared.

Upto the hd350, hd750. JVC kept models running for approximately 24 months. As the advances increased, JVC started to change models approximately every 12 months. At the present rate it could be anyone's guess though!

There also seems to be a few factors that could effect this though. competition, the Market place and demand.

As demand for this model seems fine and the Market place also seems to be less effected than other areas in this sector that only leaves competition.

As Sony seems to be the only real competition where 3d is and 3d with DLP and LCD in 1080p still seem to quite away. So we may find these models running longer than it's predecessors.

But if the tech moves speeds up, JVC will not hang around. Hence why no one can really answer this question.

What anybody will say is that once you've owned a JVC you will be completely happy

Regard Shane.

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose CEDIA will give the best indication of JVC's game plan assuming they are not in the habit of annoucing models at other events.

MS

As someone who attends the launches of these things, the last three model variants have been launched Q4 of each year, for the last three (with press previews around August/Sept). That doesn't mean they will stick to this way of doing things.
The HD350/750 to HD550/950/990 wasn't a giant leap forward in technology, just refined versions. The jump from HD550/950/990 to the X-series has seen all new models and chassis (and of course 3D!)

Ususally you hear about in the Autum, demo's at certain dealers October(ish). Then production units shipped by Christmas(ish) ;)

PS....

Still waiting for the review of the 990 :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom