How far would a 4mb data package get me??

Nokmondoo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all, due for an orange upgrade this month and getting a n95. Was thinking of getting a web package, £4 for mb a month. How much data does mobile tinternet use up? I cant see 4mb lasting very long. I'll have to go to t-mob otherwise. Any thoughts?

If you are not planning to download large files or large email attachments, 4Mb might get you far. Just as a comparison, most Blackberry plans are sold with unlimited data but 90% of users will never exceed more than 2Mb.

At the end of the day, it depends on what you want to do with your internet access. I would say start small and then upgrade if it does not suit your needs.

I stand to be corrected here but.....

I was in a Vodaphone store yesterday demo'ing an N95 and wanted to know the same thing. The N95 shows (albeit very briefly) the amount of data it is downloading. When viewing the BBC web site the page was only about 10 - 20kb, so your 4mb will go quite a way. However, the BBC site is specially formatted for PDA's and phones so I tried play.com. The homepage alone came down as all but 400kb (lots of pictures etc), so your 4mb would only allow you to view 10 pages on this site :eek: - could get expensive !!

So, although I don't really know the answer, I decided that connecting with anything but T-mobile web n walk might not be such a good idea !!

I stand to be corrected here but.....

I was in a Vodaphone store yesterday demo'ing an N95 and wanted to know the same thing. The N95 shows (albeit very briefly) the amount of data it is downloading. When viewing the BBC web site the page was only about 10 - 20kb, so your 4mb will go quite a way. However, the BBC site is specially formatted for PDA's and phones so I tried play.com. The homepage alone came down as all but 400kb (lots of pictures etc), so your 4mb would only allow you to view 10 pages on this site :eek: - could get expensive !!

So, although I don't really know the answer, I decided that connecting with anything but T-mobile web n walk might not be such a good idea !!

I have found the same thing with my N73 and Google searches ~300kb a page load!! I beleive you have to remember to access Google with its special PDA page as it does not auto detect device type.

I now use Opera Mini for all but serious content/features (company OWA for example) as it stores cut down/pre-rendered pages in their cache so they are much smaller.

I now do not use more than 1MB a month at £2.35 with Vodafone.

Thanks for the replies. Think i'll have to go back to t-mob cos i was planning on doin a fair bit of surfing.

i look at a lot of newspapers sites when on trains etc with my n95 and most of the pages are around 300-400 kb though one page loaded up at just over 1mb!!

Man in carphone warehouse showed me a sheet saying that Orange is introducing an unlimited data access for £8 a month as from 1st June. Man in Orange shop knew nothing about it .:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom