1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Far Will Plasma Go And How Soon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by betamac, Apr 18, 2005.

1. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Panasonic PWD6 and love it, only just built a HCPC and watched Microsofts HD demos and wow they look fantastic, anouther world to DVD even on a low res display so i have to say i would be more than happy watching HD movies etc on this display when they arrive

However i am wondering if we are going to ever see a 42" plasma which has the res for HD1080 and if so how soon?

It seems the 42" models all have 1 of 2 resolutions and to get more res you have to go bigger, so will we actually see a 42" model with huge res as thats what i would be waiting for to upgrade.

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    42" is probably the most popular size and the market for 1080 can't ignore that. People will want full HD, but many will not want 50 or 60" screens, so I would bet on it. Sharp already do a 1080 LCD screen, so plasmas are sure to follow.

3. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think Plasma has already reached its pixel size limitation, else there would be
    some 37" or 42" 1280x768 screens in the market for some time now.
    There are none and it looks like there will be none. :rolleyes:

Sorry to say but if they manage to manufacture a LCD with some better than current CR and some less motion blur then the days of plasma are over. :hiya: 1920x1080 LCD screens will be normal in a year or 2.

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I think lcd has the potential to out class plasma in time.

5. thegooseman

thegooseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the pv500's are 1080i lines compatable.
    Is that what u mean?

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No rather the screen has the actual 1080 resolution, not just accept it,

Its a shame as i have never seen LCD technology as good enough for TVs myself, hopefully it will be better when i decide to upgrade

Anyway we will see

7. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping for the 42" PV500 to have a 1280x720 pixel matrix and therefore be 100% compatible with the 720p HTDV standard format (i.e. no scaling required)... alas it came out at the usual 1024x768, which is more of a PC monitor type resolution, non-square pixels, etc... :rolleyes:

The issue is obviously not around the number of rows of pixels that can be crammed in a 42" plasma display, since 720 is less than 768 that's already routinely achieved.

It's in the number of pixels that can be placed horizontally. But plasma technology isn't that far from being able to fit 1280 pixels horizontally: today's 50" plasma's feature 1366 horizontal pixels, hence we could have 1366x42/50 = 1147 of the "same" pixels on a 42" plasma display (which is about 90% of the desired 1280 pixels).

IOW, current technology can achieve 100% native vertical res. and 90% native horiz. res. of the 1280x720p HDTV standard on 42" plasma displays... Come on Panny and others, just a little more effort, what's 10% in the grand scheme of things...? :D

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    It does seem a little odd, especially given that there's a 1024x720 plasma screen made by Panasonic with a 37" diagonal.